So JJ refused to catch passes from JG???

Most starters only want to catch passes from the starting qb. Jj was hurt when jg started. So it’s no big deal and doesn’t matter. For those who didn’t play college ball, this is typical guys.

Doubt that is true. Receiver's wanna catch passes and get their numbers and don't care who is getting it to them.Especially in Butch's offense where they blocked more than they had catch opportunities and all the WR's they rotated. And JG was getting more throws in practice than your average 2nd reamer.

Reactions: 2 people
Most starters only want to catch passes from the starting qb. Jj was hurt when jg started. So it’s no big deal and doesn’t matter. For those who didn’t play college ball, this is typical guys.

It is a deal if a WR refuses to catch passes from a QB in practice. I didn't play fb past HS, but I can't imagine a coaching staff allowing that to happen. And for the record, I doubt it is true.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't put much into heresay. Even if true, he's not on the team, and even if allowed back on, won't be back for long if does this stuff. I think he'll be allowed back on team thru spring practice as a trial to prove he can be a useful member of the team. He's a competitor for sure...we need some of those, even if need an attitude adjustment.

If he carries that ALLEGED attitudes to the NFL he won't last long. Locker room will not tolerate it

If true, maybe this is on JG rather than JJ. Maybe JG is a real ass and the receivers can't stand him. That seems to fit more with the scenario than JJ getting in other receiver's ears based on JG's attitude we've seen.

I honestly think this is a bunch of crap and there is no truth to it. I seriously doubt any coach would allow that to happen.

OR it's because JJ
IS a real ass based on his video rant, disappearing from team practice, et. al. and it's not a bunch of crap at all.
I see JJ as having the MO to be the toxic one and I don't have any reasons to belueve JG is.

JG's behavior during the GT game... then Jones' keeping the competition open just long enough for JG to win it... might give you a couple of clues.

JJ came in, changed positions, played physical, led by example,... JG came in entitled with the same kinds of promises that Hurd supposedly got.
A thread mentioning JG is like a magnet for you. Your act is getting old. You make up a scenario, state it as fact, and then build your entire argument around it. How do you know JG came in entitled? How do you know that Butch did everything he could to get JG to win the job? How do you know that JG was far behind Dormady with the playbook (another one of your hypotheticals)? The answer is...you don't know. These are the scenarios that fit the narrative that you want to be true. You are certainly entitled to your opinion about JG and Dormady...but you should quit making up these scenarios.

Reactions: 8 people
Doubt that is true. Receiver's wanna catch passes and get their numbers and don't care who is getting it to them.Especially in Butch's offense where they blocked more than they had catch opportunities and all the WR's they rotated. And JG was getting more throws in practice than your average 2nd reamer.
A few of the receivers weren't thrilled catching passes from JG early in camp because he was throwing fastballs every single throw. You look bad dropping a pass in practice, no matter how hard it was thrown. JJ was the only one that could get away with stepping out of the line to avoid JG's passes. All of that came straight from one of the receivers.

Reactions: 5 people

It is true. It’s true in high school. Ones goes with ones and twos with twos. Not an unusual concept. Catch the balls from the guy you will catch from in a game. I’m also talking about anything other than the warm up throws like pass skel, one on one, routes on air.

All the Volquest guys said this was true, and that it was known to anyone who was allowed to watch passing drills during practice up until JJ's injury. That S... will stop in a heartbeat!

If true, maybe this is on JG rather than JJ. Maybe JG is a real ass and the receivers can't stand him. That seems to fit more with the scenario than JJ getting in other receiver's ears based on JG's attitude we've seen.

I honestly think this is a bunch of crap and there is no truth to it. I seriously doubt any coach would allow that to happen.

The excuse making for JJ because he is a talented player is pathetic

Reactions: 4 people
Just listened to the Volquest Podcast and they talked about how when it was JG turn to throw, JJ would get out of the line.

This is a shock to me. Why would a receiver refuse to catch a pass from another QB? Seems real petty to me.

All the great one's do this. Not a big deal. Starters don't catch balls from backup scrubs.

I remember doing this all the time in my day

OR it's because JJ
IS a real ass based on his video rant, disappearing from team practice, et. al. and it's not a bunch of crap at all.
I see JJ as having the MO to be the toxic one and I don't have any reasons to belueve JG is.

Absolutely. JG being upset for not playing in the Tech Game isn't any reason for him to be considered a head case or bad teammate. There's no question he was told he would play, Butch even said both QB's would play. It may have shown some immaturity but if him being pissed about not playing after being told he would is the worst thing he does he will be fine. If it becomes a constant problem that's one thing but it was an isolated incident. JJ's has been going on pretty much his entire Vol career and that's a pattern. I would much rather a QB be pissed about not playing than being content on being the back up. I want passionate players who wanna be in the Game with his brother's.

That just isn't true. When he had time he was very accurate. And more importantly doesn't throw Int's. He completed 61% of his passes compared to QD's 55%. And before anyone says he threw shorter passes than QB that would also be wrong. JG had 7.2 per attempt compared to 6.8 for QD. The adjusted average per attempt factors in yards per attempt and TD and Int's. Again JG's is significantly higher 7.1 compared to 5.7. JG also had the higher QB rating 128 to 117. And lastly JG played vs the more difficult schedule. Dormady started and played 1 game vs a bowl team and didn't even finish the GA game. JG started 5 games vs bowl teams and finished the GA game so that's 6 total. Then McBride started 1 and it was a bowl team. Vs bowl teams. QD's 1 game(Start) vs bowl opp..5/16 31%...67 yards 0 TD 2 Int's Zero points Avg game. JG 66/100 66%..924 yards.. just 1 TD but only 1 int. And in JG's defense those 5 starts Kelly didn't have a single 100 yd game and the run game averaged 104 yards a game. Take away the 204 vs UK his other 4 starts the run game averaged 79yds a game. Outside of only throwing 1 TD during his starts I don't know how much more he could have done with no run game helping him out and taking pressure of a FR QB. There's not 1 thing QD did better and JG by far played the toughest part of the schedule. JG started 1 game vs a team who didn't make a bowl..4 of 5 games QD started weren't bowl eligible. I don't get the JG hate from some fans. Those stats don't lie and there's no valid argument for QD playing the better of the 2. Considering the horrible playcalling, the injuries on the OLine and lack of player development I don't know much more he could have done. Taking less hits and getting rid of the ball quicker were his biggest downfalls. But that can be coached, the toughness and heart he showed can't be coached.

I think you nailed this one!

I have to call BS on this. If was true JJ would of never gotten in line to begin with. JG or QD wasnt throwing catchable balls.

A few of the receivers weren't thrilled catching passes from JG early in camp because he was throwing fastballs every single throw. You look bad dropping a pass in practice, no matter how hard it was thrown. JJ was the only one that could get away with stepping out of the line to avoid JG's passes. All of that came straight from one of the receivers.

That's a young QB learning to play college football and his first competition to be the starter. That can be corrected with coaching and experience. If that was happening Canales should have corrected him and be the QB Coach he was hired to be. He had 1 job to do. You see that in games from first time starters and FR QB's. That can also be addressed by veteran Receiver's trying to help out their QB and themselves. If that was the mindset of some of the receiver's then no wonder WR play was so horrible and inconsistent. Shows how weak minded and selfish he/they were by purposely trying to sabotage an inexperienced QB. All that is gonna do is when JG played it would have him looking to throw to other receiver's. Either way that starts at the top. Butch, Canales and Beard should have handled that immediately instead of letting it escalade. Just another thing we won't have to worry about from JP and his Coach's. I guarantee Saban, Smart, Meyer, Dabo, Harbough,Frost etc would ever allow that to be an issue.It either shows how incompetent Butch is or that he didn't care and wasn't mentally focused on being the Vols HC. Probably a Combo of both.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back