So JJ refused to catch passes from JG???

All the great one's do this. Not a big deal. Starters don't catch balls from backup scrubs.

I remember doing this all the time in my day

I can maybe see that if the starter was an established QB and the clear cut starter. With the only way he wasn't starting was because of an injury. But that wasn't the case here. And let's face it there really never was a group of #1 and #2 receiver's. There was a different group of starting receiver's almost every week. Also if teams only rotate a few different receivers. But at any point in the game we could see Jennings( when he was healthy), Callaway, Johnson, Smith, Byrd, George, Palmer and Murphy. Would have been more if they had any other scholarship receivers to put out there. No regular receiver rotation should ever consist of 7-8+ players. I'm sure that hurt our WR recruiting too.Calloway and Johnson were so underused last year just like Ty was. Callaway would have a good game then wouldn't be heard from for a few games. Brandon was by far our best and most consistent WR. Hopefully less WR blocking and rotation helps the WR numbers improve and that helps you get the better receiver's. It's not a good look for the vertical pass game when 2 of the top 5 and 3 of the top 8 top pass catchers were RB's.Its great to have RB's who are great pass catchers but it makes you predictable. Can also get single WR coverage and more guys playing up.

Reactions: 2 people
Pruitt needs to find 5*QB ASAP .

QB recruiting is the hardest to predict and evaluate. Since 2011 there have been 14 *5 QB's from 247...6 of those became full time starters. 2 of them was Jacob Eason and Jarret Stidham.Neither currently start at the school they committed to and even Stidham has been average at best. Cryst at Stanford was another one who lost his job and is most likely finishing up at a new school. Deshaun Watson, Josh Rosen and C.Hackenburg played at their original school and had great careers. There are way more 5* QB flops than guys who live up to their hype. I think Tua at Ala is a rare one who lives up to his hype but it's too soon to tell.

Reactions: 1 person
If there’s any truth to this I’m guessing it’s cause JJ wanted the qb job. What kind of culture allows the kids to think they have a choice? If you’re on the field and a cheerleader throws you the ball you better freaking run it to the end zone. That’s your job as a receiver. You don’t choose when you go on the field either. Football is not a democracy. I admit I thought jg was an entitled brat at the first of the season. But I’ve talked with several people that’s met him and they say he’s the nicest kid with a good personality. I think he may just be immature. Hopefully Pruitt forces him to grow up.

I heard JJ kicked a puppy and Butch just stood there and didn't say a word.

I was counting down the responses to see how and when CBJ either got blamed for said rumor or orchestrated it....its beyond silly how some want to make CBJ the Boston Strangler and the Unibomber rolled into one...Just because he couldn't win enough football games...HE IS NOW THE TOP VILLIAN...absolutely childish and extremely sophomoric!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I was counting down the responses to see how and when CBJ either got blamed for said rumor or orchestrated it....its beyond silly how some want to make CBJ the Boston Strangler and the Unibomber rolled into one...Just because he couldn't win enough football games...HE IS NOW THE TOP VILLIAN...absolutely childish and extremely sophomoric!!!!

This is VN, check your sarcasm meter at the door.

What current and former players have said about him on top of parents and an ex VFL employee kind of supports that thinking. And I would bet anything we Haven't heard the last of it either. This isn't posters or so called insiders saying stuff about his character it's guys who have played under him, parents of those players and former employee's and VFL's. Highly doubt they all came together and orchestrated a smear Butch campaign. Even Kamara had not so nice stuff to say and he's not exactly a bring drama or hate kind of player.Not winning football games just made it a lot worse. I'll be very curious what else eventually comes out. I'm betting it doesn't paint a pretty Butch picture.

2nd reamer.

Maybe that should go in the VN lexicon?

Or do we not count obvious typos that fool the spellcheck?

Guess I'm being the escape goat here...

Last edited:
Maybe if JJ could have gotten some padding in his gloves he would have stayed in line.

I just have a hard time believing that. There's videos of JJ walking towards the Jugg's machine as it's spitting out footballs every few seconds. I can't imagine that not stinging more than some of JG's passes.

I could be reaching, but I remember people saying on the board that it seem like some of the WRs didn't catch the ball(showed even less effort) when JG came in. Maybe JJ was in their ear...

Well, I trust CJP to change this toxic culture.

If that were the case, the receivers would only be hurting their own stock. Why would they do that?

That just isn't true. When he had time he was very accurate. And more importantly doesn't throw Int's. He completed 61% of his passes compared to QD's 55%. And before anyone says he threw shorter passes than QB that would also be wrong. JG had 7.2 per attempt compared to 6.8 for QD. The adjusted average per attempt factors in yards per attempt and TD and Int's. Again JG's is significantly higher 7.1 compared to 5.7. JG also had the higher QB rating 128 to 117. And lastly JG played vs the more difficult schedule. Dormady started and played 1 game vs a bowl team and didn't even finish the GA game. JG started 5 games vs bowl teams and finished the GA game so that's 6 total. Then McBride started 1 and it was a bowl team. Vs bowl teams. QD's 1 game(Start) vs bowl opp..5/16 31%...67 yards 0 TD 2 Int's Zero points Avg game. JG 66/100 66%..924 yards.. just 1 TD but only 1 int. And in JG's defense those 5 starts Kelly didn't have a single 100 yd game and the run game averaged 104 yards a game. Take away the 204 vs UK his other 4 starts the run game averaged 79yds a game. Outside of only throwing 1 TD during his starts I don't know how much more he could have done with no run game helping him out and taking pressure of a FR QB. There's not 1 thing QD did better and JG by far played the toughest part of the schedule. JG started 1 game vs a team who didn't make a bowl..4 of 5 games QD started weren't bowl eligible. I don't get the JG hate from some fans. Those stats don't lie and there's no valid argument for QD playing the better of the 2. Considering the horrible playcalling, the injuries on the OLine and lack of player development I don't know much more he could have done. Taking less hits and getting rid of the ball quicker were his biggest downfalls. But that can be coached, the toughness and heart he showed can't be coached.

So many words and analysis responding to a joke.

Reactions: 4 people
JG's behavior during the GT game... then Jones' keeping the competition open just long enough for JG to win it... might give you a couple of clues.

JJ came in, changed positions, played physical, led by example,... JG came in entitled with the same kinds of promises that Hurd supposedly got.

Jennings led by example? In what drug-addled alternative universe are you living in?

He's a bum. A headcase who cares only about himself. And I am tired of hearing his name.

Jennings led by example? In what drug-addled alternative universe are you living in?

He's a bum. A headcase who cares only about himself. And I am tired of hearing his name.

If we miss on Copeland, we can’t afford to let JJ go. We don’t have a #1 receiver on this team if he isn’t on it. Well, actually, maybe Callaway but that’s it.

Last edited:
A guy that couldn't even manage to make it to a game all year? Then when he did he sat in the stands? He's the good guy in this? Wtf is wrong with some of you?

Reactions: 5 people
Most starters only want to catch passes from the starting qb. Jj was hurt when jg started. So it’s no big deal and doesn’t matter. For those who didn’t play college ball, this is typical guys.

Yeah I am sure that was happening in Alabama when #2 QB that just won NC was getting reps with first unit!!!! NOT!

I just wish people would stop acting like JG is an abysmal QB when we’ve seen not even a full season of him playing as a RS freshman under a horrendous coaching staff. Let’s give the dude a chance under a competent staff and a year wiser.

Reactions: 8 people

VN Store

Back