So, the AD job is now a campaign?

Both are talking about the job on radio. This is not normal but the the administration started the circus.

I am a Fulmer fan. I think he is qualified for the job. Even more so than many think. He is a master politician behind behind the scene and well connected throughout the NCAA. I believe he could attract the best coaches. However I would hire Blackburn looking for stability over the long term.

Both are class acts and they will remain friends after this position is filled. I would get Phill on the staff somewhere.

Reactions: 2 people
Both are talking about the job on radio. This is not normal but the the administration started the circus.

I am a Fulmer fan. I think he is qualified for the job. Even more so than many think. He is a master politician behind behind the scene and well connected throughout the NCAA. I believe he could attract the best coaches. However I would hire Blackburn looking for stability over the long term.

Both are class acts and they will remain friends after this position is filled. I would get Phill on the staff somewhere.

You got that right! Just ask Alabama!

The AD position at UTC and UT may be similar. Doesn't really matter. Fulmer was involved in the UT athletic department for what?, 30 something years? Player, GA, Line coach, head coach, etc. I think he's more familiar with UT in different roles. What is Blackburn's major attribute as an AD that would push him past Phil? If they pick Phil or David, we have a winning situation. If, someone else is picked, I'm going to have a problem with the choice.

Ask Phil about Shoney's. It isn't a matter of knowing UT, it is a matter of good old fashion common sense. No telling what Davenport is thinking, but that incident should eliminate Phil from her criteria.

I have been a staunch supporter of Blackburn. My only reservation is him wanting to bring in Fulmer. As a fundraiser? Maybe. Otherwise? I don't even like thinking about it.

Reactions: 3 people
This should have been a done deal months ago and Blackburn should have already gotten the job. A proven AD vs a guy who couldn't even figure out how to run a football program the last several years he was coach. Yeah, there's a lot to debate there.

Your talking about the guy that had Worley in over Dobbs. Hurd was a beast tough previously

Yep. Worley running the read option with Dobbs on the bench was just another example of his brilliance. So was firing the strength and conditioning coach and replacing him with an ad.

Fulmer has a bad rep with regards to player discipline e.g. The Fulmer Cup. In this climate of Title IX this is gonna cause problems the first time a player gets in trouble.

sad it has come down to radio interviews

I'm thinking the new chancellor may avoid the whole deal and bring in an outsider

This feels like a bunch of butt hurt fans wanting to give Fulmer one more shot at UT.

Yes, it mostly is, Fulmer isn't qualified to run UT's multi-million dollar budget for the AD. Heck, he couldn't even keep control of his own football program when he was the HC.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm m starting to think Fulmer is just a misdirection ,to get the fans off the BOT backs for a bit

of course I may be wrong too :)

In order to pay off the next lawsuit, is that a suggestion to help foot the bill? Not enough pig farms in Tennessee to make a dent. Try again.

Shoot brother, were the hog and hominy state. You need to go watch your heartland series and write me a book report on pork production. You can cite Bill Landry in your report.

The thing is that an AD doesn't have to know everything. A good AD will surround himself with experts in every field. They will take care of the business and bring to the table decisions that need to be made. A good AD need only listen and make the necessary decision based on info provided by the experts they have hired. I think there is some misunderstanding on the qualifications for an AD in today's world. Again, I'm good with either.

Or entertain this for a moment...

You could hire an AD who doesn't have to rely on other people for expert opinions and will actually know how to do the job on his own and rely on others to only to argue with his opinion if needed and not have to rely on theirs only.

Reactions: 4 people
There's no good reason to hire Fulmer over Blackburn.

Fulmer for AD is an emotional decision, not a logical one.

You're probably right, but I would guess that deep down in places you (others) don't talk about, NOT wanting Fulmer has a lot to do with emotions.

I'd rather have Blackburn. From what I've read, he seems to be the logical choice, but I'm far from being qualified to really know.

I've made no secret of my feelings for Phil. In short, he is not one of my favorite VFL. But, other than "emotions", I don't understand why it seems to be the "end of the world" to some if he is hired for the AD position.

Employees get promoted to management, managers to supervisor, supervisors to directors ....every day. Is this position that different? Maybe it's a bad example but, John Elway was a QB.

I'm not arguing or "pushing" for Phil, I hope I've already made that clear. I'm honestly just trying to better understand.

Fulmer was a UT student and football player, then coach, he's since been in the private sector.

Blackburn is also a UT Grad. But he worked in the athletic department in various capacities for something like 20 years, including being an associate AD, if I remember correctly. The past 4 years he's served at the AD at UTC. He's so far more experienced and qualified for the position that it's genuinely laughable that he could possibly be passed over in favor of Phil. Not to mention that he's 10+ years younger than PF, meaning he could be in the position far longer, assuming he's doing a good job. Which based on his performance so far in Chattanooga, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't.

Fulmer is so good that he has actually been unemployed for years. His "private sector" experience amounts to lending his name to an investment fund that had no particular success.

Reactions: 1 person
I would like coach Fulmer because he knows what it takes in a coach to reach the top i think he would give the coach a chance before he would fire one if he thought the program was going down hill i think he would put the coach out the door.

CPF also knows how to become fat and lazy and let a proud winning program lose at home to Wyoming.....It is now 2017 and the football VOLS have not completely dug out of the hole that he dug for us......and yes he was paid handsomely the whole time. Build a statue, invite him to reunions, run your charity....but Coach please retire and go away from the athletic department

Reactions: 4 people
CPF also knows how to become fat and lazy and let a proud winning program lose at home to Wyoming.....It is now 2017 and the football VOLS have not completely dug out of the hole that he dug for us......and yes he was paid handsomely the whole time. Build a statue, invite him to reunions, run your charity....but Coach please retire and go away from the athletic department

exactly, this is how I feel . don't want this guy near our football program. or any other of our sports.:no:

Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer was a UT student and football player, then coach, he's since been in the private sector.

Blackburn is also a UT Grad. But he worked in the athletic department in various capacities for something like 20 years, including being an associate AD, if I remember correctly. The past 4 years he's served at the AD at UTC. He's so far more experienced and qualified for the position that it's genuinely laughable that he could possibly be passed over in favor of Phil. Not to mention that he's 10+ years younger than PF, meaning he could be in the position far longer, assuming he's doing a good job. Which based on his performance so far in Chattanooga, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't.

I get the impression that a lot of the Fulmer support smacks of "he deserves it because of his job as coach and long term loyalty to UT". If this is the case, do the folks thinking this way think that the job of AD is just an honorary position? If it is ok, if it is truly a "job", then Blackburn's resume appears to be far and away the best for the position....

What a circus....There needs to be a major overhaul of the UT administration.

Agree. I'm sure that Fulmer has already received his golden parachute--remember the $4M buyout? We don't need him ripping us off for more and rewarding cronies for their support. Drain the Swamp!

VN Store

Back