So, the AD job is now a campaign?

You're probably right, but I would guess that deep down in places you (others) don't talk about, NOT wanting Fulmer has a lot to do with emotions.

I'd rather have Blackburn. From what I've read, he seems to be the logical choice, but I'm far from being qualified to really know.

I've made no secret of my feelings for Phil. In short, he is not one of my favorite VFL. But, other than "emotions", I don't understand why it seems to be the "end of the world" to some if he is hired for the AD position.

Employees get promoted to management, managers to supervisor, supervisors to directors ....every day. Is this position that different? Maybe it's a bad example but, John Elway was a QB.

I'm not arguing or "pushing" for Phil, I hope I've already made that clear. I'm honestly just trying to better understand.

I have found in the real world, that just because a person is "one of the best" at a position, doesn't mean they will be worth a damn in another (more responsible or higher placed) job. Good salespersons many times don't make good managers. Good accountants (bean counters) most times don't make good managers. Good lawyers seem to have trouble making good politian's. i.e., lawyers making laws. Somethings like a football coach running a whole athletic department with an even hand. I know that the football program at UT is the cash cow, but I wonder if Phil is the right man for all sports concerned. Also, how heavy would his hand be in the day to day running of the football program.

I have found in the real world, that just because a person is "one of the best" at a position, doesn't mean they will be worth a damn in another (more responsible or higher placed) job. Good salespersons many times don't make good managers. Good accountants (bean counters) most times don't make good managers. Good lawyers seem to have trouble making good politian's. i.e., lawyers making laws. Somethings like a football coach running a whole athletic department with an even hand. I know that the football program at UT is the cash cow, but I wonder if Phil is the right man for all sports concerned. Also, how heavy would his hand be in the day to day running of the football program.

Yea, I guess the more I think about it, ONE of my questions is, if Phil was qualified, how many would still not want him as the AD?

Lol, maybe I am trying to argue a little, but I honestly didn't mean to.

This whole thing is stupid. If you hire the more experienced AD in Blackburn, you get both him and Phil. If you just hire Phil, we only get an inexperienced AD, since Blackburn isn't going to be the number 2 here. Seems simple to me.

An AD from UTC is not an experienced AD at UTs level. I think it's Phils to accept.

Phil was involved in the football program. Balancing budgets and hiring track and field coaches were things he never had to concern himself with. Blackburn has been involved with running entire athletic departments for the vast majority of his professional career. Not dogging on Coach, but this is a no brainer.

I agree. This isn't a Football Director position. It involves all athletic programs.

Reactions: 2 people
sure seems like it is.....but they are making this more difficult than it should be

Fulmer certainly can help UT in other ways besides being AD. I don't have a warm fuzzy about coach being AD since I think he's to loyal to people over what's best for the program or in this case programs.

Precisely my concern. He has the capability, but he definitely is a person known for favoring... including players. That and the lack of experience on an administration level makes me think Blackburn is the best choice although I like that new candidate from the Panthers as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought I read somewhere that Blackburn said he would most likely try and hire Fulmer as his assistant if given the job... seems like a win/win if Phil would take the assistant job..

Or entertain this for a moment...
You could hire an AD who doesn't have to rely on other people for expert opinions and will actually know how to do the job on his own and rely on others to only to argue with his opinion if needed and not have to rely on theirs only.
Just what I was thinking. Heck, if you don't need to be good at what you do; just surround yourself with experts, then I need to be the Chancellor and my experts would have had Blackburn here already.:thumbsup:

Phil was involved in the football program. Balancing budgets and hiring track and field coaches were things he never had to concern himself with. Blackburn has been involved with running entire athletic departments for the vast majority of his professional career. Not dogging on Coach, but this is a no brainer.
Obviously Vols fans know a heck of a lot more than me, but it does seem like a no brainer. Hire Blackburn as AD and Fulmer in a fundraising & booster relations role. So much time, mooney and energy being wasted.

Reactions: 3 people
Obviously Vols fans know a heck of a lot more than me, but it does seem like a no brainer. Hire Blackburn as AD and Fulmer in a fundraising & booster relations role. So much time, mooney and energy being wasted.

Sad that a Bama fan has more sense when it comes to this than our own board of trustees and boosters. It's so pathetic on the hill that it's laughable.

Sad that a Bama fan has more sense when it comes to this than our own board of trustees and boosters. It's so pathetic on the hill that it's laughable.
Yep. Anyone with common sense who's read an article or two about Blackburn can see that he checks all the boxes. He's a VFL and proven, experienced, successful AD. He knows UT and it's his dream job. Ridiculous to not just go ahead and hire him and let him get to work.

And have Fulmer be a fund raising and booster relations guy -- he's proven his worth in that regard and is better suited for that than as AD. Blackburn has already made it clear he'd be supportive of Fulmer being part of the solution.

Isn't there anyone in the media loudly calling out UT's administration for not already doing what they they so obviously should?

Last edited:
I agree. This isn't a Football Director position. It involves all athletic programs.

While true I, and many other fans, could care less if our ladies soccer team wins the NCAA tournament. UT is a football school first and Phil knows that. DB seems like a guy that would keep Butch around after a few 7-5 seasons. Fulmer connects with top coaches since they have both been there. Football coaches would want to work for a guy that understands it from their perspective.

While true I, and many other fans, could care less if our ladies soccer team wins the NCAA tournament. UT is a football school first and Phil knows that. DB seems like a guy that would keep Butch around after a few 7-5 seasons. Fulmer connects with top coaches since they have both been there. Football coaches would want to work for a guy that understands it from their perspective.

You are a little backwards. Phil is far more of a keep people to long type. Blackburn is far more qualified. A Blackburn hire would show they are committed to getting out of the way and may be ready to stop meddling so much. Phil would be a hire the money guys would want just so they could control the ad office.

I honestly think Phil is way more likely to keep Butch around.

Not Snowflake.
Vietnam Veteran.
So, keep your puerile rejoinders to yourself, cupcake!

Don't try the military b.s. with me, I'm a proud member of a military family. You're still a little snowflake who apparently has no idea what is happening in the world.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back