So what do you think the Game Plan for USU is?

What I'm hoping for: Pound. The. ****. Rock. Rinse and repeat.

What's probably gonna happen: Vanilla, vanilla, and more vanilla. I'd be surprised to see a deep ball all game long.

We out talent them at every position with the exception of QB. As long as we play mistake free football, we'll win and win comfortably.

I would try simple power runs but I would honestly come out throwing tons of shorts: use Pig / Pearson and Wolf and dump if off to Lane if needed. Don't go vertical / for any home runs. Keep it simple and keep the chains movin with. up tempo short throws. Don't give this defense time to settle down and know whats going on. Avoid a 3nout at all costs. If UT can get the ball 1st and score Neyland is going to get loud and we'll see how they reapond then.
I won't be excited if the Aggies come out 1st getting decent yardage and put up a TD 1st thing. I'm afraid to say come out agressive cuz Keaton may burn them but if they play too safe you could be looking at a long TD drive that will hurt just as bad. So IDK.
Whatever they do on offense especially they dont need to be vanilla for the sake of saving it for Oklahoma or Georgia. They better throw the kitchen sink at them or they will lose if they mess around and not get many points early

I don't know what the offensive game plan should be, but the first play should be a flea flicker back to Worley who throws to a wide open North for a TD!!!

On offense I'm coming out with one TE set and play action first play. I think they will sneak linebackers up to stop the run.if we keep the defense off balance with what were doing then we're going to be fine. If we line up and try to shove it down there throat they will be ready.

Short quick throws to begin with allows your line to gain confidence and your play makers have opportunities to make big plays. Pound the rock when they see you can gash the secondary and they have to play back.

On defense we must be sound technically. Our down lineman must stay in their gaps and push straight up field. The ends must create a pocket and push Keaton in the middle of it. We can't allow him to get outside the ends consistently. I would come out in nickel and have speed on the field. We must keep everything in front of us and to the middle of the field. They like to throw the quick slant multiple times and then when your looking for it, fake it and release the receiver down the field. We must stop the run game and make them one dimensional. Our line has to hold and the middle linebacker clean up anything that gets through.

Reactions: 3 people
On offense I'm coming out with one TE set and play action first play. I think they will sneak linebackers up to stop the run.if we keep the defense off balance with what were doing then we're going to be fine. If we line up and try to shove it down there throat they will be ready.

Short quick throws to begin with allows your line to gain confidence and your play makers have opportunities to make big plays. Pound the rock when they see you can gash the secondary and they have to play back.

On defense we must be sound technically. Our down lineman must stay in their gaps and push straight up field. The ends must create a pocket and push Keaton in the middle of it. We can't allow him to get outside the ends consistently. I would come out in nickel and have speed on the field. We must keep everything in front of us and to the middle of the field. They like to throw the quick slant multiple times and then when your looking for it, fake it and release the receiver down the field. We must stop the run game and make them one dimensional. Our line has to hold and the middle linebacker clean up anything that gets through.

Where you coachin' at mane(?) ! :good!:

Butch and staff want to see what they have up front. Meaning offensive and defensive line will be tested to see how we really stack up for SEC play. If the weather isn't sloppy the play book will be opened up some but Butch doesn't want to show too much.
Utah St. will try to exploit the middle of the field. We will have to play position ball and not get sucked in with misdirection. :thud:
GO VOLS!

Run until they prove they can shut it down, then let Worley try spreading it around the field. On defense, don't give up the big play. USU is going to rely on misdirection to take advantage of our youth and zeal. Make Keeton beat us with his arm, not his legs.

Test their DBs early and often. Score a couple of quick TDs, get the crowd rocking and USU will feel like Cal 2006 (ready to go home)

Early: Lots of Lane/Hurd with some quick pitches to the TE and Slot to gauge Worley and build his confidence.

Late: Dagger after dagger to North, Pearson, or Malone with the deep ball.

4th Qtr: Running the clock down.

This is how I see it going down

Work the middle of the field with the wide outs and tight ends behind the sunk in LBs. Lot's of screens and power runs to keep them off balance. If we dictate the way the game is played it won't be close. Get ahead and kill them with power and play action.

Defensively the biggest key is contain Keeton. Make him think and make get those feet happy. If he feels he has to run but is stuck in the pocket mistakes will follow. They will make plays with him, just have to maintain and tackle when we have them wrapped.

Offense: Emphasize run game and challenge their secondary early with play action.

Defense: All out Blitzkrieg right out of the gate.

VN Store

Back