So what do you think the Game Plan for USU is?

I believe a lot of coach speech can be used to describe our game plan, For example, it will come down to eye discipline. They will throw a lot at us because we are more athletic across the board, they have to compensate for that. Strategy for this game will Solely depend on how disciplined we are there is no reason to open up the play book. The basic uptempo offense with the man to man defense. One vs one. We are to good to have to do anything tricky. However if we don't stay disciplined we will have to get more creative and show that part of our hand too early for the season. This will be the game Oklahoma goes back and looks at tape with. Not all but the majority.

On defense, get pressure on Keeton any way possible. If they beat you short some so be it. Make Keeton uncomfortable and make him reset.

Also, be physical with their wideouts and distrust the timing of their routes. Don't fall for play action.

Just interesting, because I am bored and kick off hasn't happened yet.

I think if I am Mike Bajakian, I am using the size advantage of our offensive line to run the ball a lot.

I would call an extremely Vanilla game and not open the playbook very much ( unless god forbid its needed).

I would probably try to call a 70/30 rush/pass game, and control the Time of Possession, keep Keaton off of the field.

USU can't beat you if their most dangerous weapon spends 40 minutes on the sideline.

I would make a horrible defensive Co-ordinator.

The best I can come is putting Maggit and Barnett on the ends to try and keep Keaton in the pocket, and from running on the outside, and trying to use our size advantage on the Dline to pressure Keaton into bad throws.

I believe our Linebackers are good enough to stuff the run so the key is to pressure Keaton into bad choices.

What say you VN how to do you plan for the W

Don't take this the wrong way but that is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. If you watch USU games from last year, the ones they kept close against better teams were when the other team kept their play calling vanilla. Specifically in the Utah and USC games both teams were throwing the ball with ease but kept calling a vanilla offense. The biggest matchup advantage for us in this game is our receivers vs their secondary. No reason not to exploit that. I would line up in a base shot gun set with a RB TE and three WRs.

Early in the game they will be coming with exotic blitzes against our young Oline. Jalen and Marlin better be ready to pass block. We talk about the WRs but Ethan Wolf has a chance to have a really big Game here. The runs I would call would be more misdirection that anything because if we can get past the initial blitz rush through a draw or counter there are only a few men to miss on the way to the checkerboards.

This is not Austin Peay. We cannot call three offensive plays and win this game

Reactions: 3 people
Don't take this the wrong way but that is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. If you watch USU games from last year, the ones they kept close against better teams were when the other team kept their play calling vanilla. Specifically in the Utah and USC games both teams were throwing the ball with ease but kept calling a vanilla offense. The biggest matchup advantage for us in this game is our receivers vs their secondary. No reason not to exploit that. I would line up in a base shot gun set with a RB TE and three WRs.

Early in the game they will be coming with exotic blitzes against our young Oline. Jalen and Marlin better be ready to pass block. We talk about the WRs but Ethan Wolf has a chance to have a really big Game here. The runs I would call would be more misdirection that anything because if we can get past the initial blitz rush through a draw or counter there are only a few men to miss on the way to the checkerboards.

Im with you and I think CBJ will and should do exactly this.

1) Show up in Orange Struttin through the T like a Boss!
2) Let the fighting Mormons see you doing #1
3) Take the field and open the giant can of woop @$$ that you've been saving all off season.
4) Let the WINNING begin

Good post.:good!:

USU's strength is the LB's. Specifically they try to stop the run first then get pressure.

Whether running or throwing, UT will probably try to spread them out. Flex the TE or go 4 wide often even in run sets. Five wide would give UT at least two overwhelming match up advantages. To offset blitzes, one guy could always be given the safety route for Worley to throw quick.

Basically force them to play MORE of their inexperienced and questionable DB's and fewer of the LB's they trust. Another option would be to go 4 wide then motion the RB out. I definitely like Pig, Hurd, Lane, or Young matched up against one of the LB's in pass coverage. Their best LB plays the bandit or rush LB position. Spreading the field makes him a DE more or less. It limits their ability to move him around since if he moves it will leave natural running lanes.

This also puts the game in Worley's head. It makes it a game about what he does well... manage the O, make the right calls at the line.

Only if Jones thinks his OL can dominate their front 7 from the go will they use the strategy in the OP... possible but I tend to think they'll want to use the WR mismatch first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
On D, press cover their receivers and stop Hill from the start. Keeton makes a living on short passes. DB's have to knock receivers out of their routes so Keeton has to wait and look before he throws.

Hill can be a bigger factor than Keeton if UT's DT's and SDE don't get penetration. UT needs to disrupt their run game rhythm.

Our guys will have to be patient when containing Keeton. Don't give him an outlet and only allow him an escape to a less favorable throwing position. For instance, if things break down force him to his left if possible and make him give ground to work to the outside. Keeton DOES seem to have a habit of throwing the ball up on broken plays. UT has to make him pay for it.

Stop Chuckie Keeton.

If we're going to win, we need to contain him and make Utah State use some of their less desirable options on offense.

I am sick of hearing about Chuckie Keeton. He's a very talented mid-major player. They are a good mid-major team. We rarely lose to mid-majors. In fact it's usually a coming out party.

They are a well coached group of 2* players. As always, these teams are blown up prior to playing us because of the previous years record. However, we don't play the same schedule. We would have likely gone 9-3 last year with their schedule.

At the end of the day, SEC size and speed will overcome our youth and inexperience, and overwhelm the opposition. It always does. When that happens, the Aggies will be looking for excuses, or congratulating us and questioning how good they actually are.

Reactions: 1 person
Pass to setup the run. Gotta loosen them up.

Pressure Keeton early and often which may not be easy to do. Can't let him get loose and beat us with his legs. Must stop the run. I would be happy forcing them into long drives hopefully capitalizing on mistakes.

As long as we avoid the big plays on defense and don't turn it over on offense we should win going away.

The quick out to North and our other big, fast WR's should be there all day. If we can get North on that freshman CB of theirs then he has a chance to get that pass, break a tackle, and take it to the house. See: Tennessee vs Cal 2006 and how we used Robert Meachem.

The quick out to North and our other big, fast WR's should be there all day. If we can get North on that freshman CB of theirs then he has a chance to get that pass, break a tackle, and take it to the house. See: Tennessee vs Cal 2006 and how we used Robert Meachem.

This all day....lotta YAC. It's actually going to be kind of demoralizing for USU.

This type of game is right up Worleys alley....exactly the type of throws that earned him Nat'l Gatorade POY in high school.

Pass to setup the run. Gotta loosen them up.

Pressure Keeton early and often which may not be easy to do. Can't let him get loose and beat us with his legs. Must stop the run. I would be happy forcing them into long drives hopefully capitalizing on mistakes.

As long as we avoid the big plays on defense and don't turn it over on offense we should win going away.

Actually from what I've gathered from some of their posters, we want him running. It means we're pressuring him, and it also means he has no one to pass to so our secondary is working. One poster even said the more he runs the more they are struggling. Some say they cringe every time he tucks it, especially now that he has a reconstructed ACL and MCL. Don't forget Hill, the RB, is also coming off an ACL tear. Both are about 10 months out from surgery and Keeton hasn't been hit since coming back, he even said something to the effect of when he watches football now and sees people get hit it makes him think "that's close to their ACL" so it may still be in his mind. I DO NOT believe two players are suddenly 100% from an injury that ends some people's career.

Actually from what I've gathered from some of their posters, we want him running. It means we're pressuring him, and it also means he has no one to pass to so our secondary is working. One poster even said the more he runs the more they are struggling. Some say they cringe every time he tucks it, especially now that he has a reconstructed ACL and MCL. Don't forget Hill, the RB, is also coming off an ACL tear. Both are about 10 months out from surgery and Keeton hasn't been hit since coming back, he even said something to the effect of when he watches football now and sees people get hit it makes him think "that's close to their ACL" so it may still be in his mind. I DO NOT believe two players are suddenly 100% from an injury that ends some people's career.

All due respect....I've lurked and read what the Aggies fans are saying on their boards. Honestly....these people are off of their meds, or suffering from chronic altitude sickness. 99.9% of them see no weakness in their team! and are fully expecting to handle our Vols. I cannot take very much any of them say with any semblance of a serious outlook.

They have a nice little mid major team....but this ends up like UT-Cincinnati, or UT-NC State. It will get ugly, and their feelings will be hurt.

All due respect....I've lurked and read what the Aggies fans are saying on their boards. Honestly....these people are off of their meds, or suffering from chronic altitude sickness. 99.9% of them see no weakness in their team! and are fully expecting to handle our Vols. I cannot take very much any of them say with any semblance of a serious outlook.

They have a nice little mid major team....but this ends up like UT-Cincinnati, or UT-NC State. It will get ugly, and their feelings will be hurt.

I think they're going to be better than most of our posters realize. That being said, I also think we're going to be a pleasant surprise this year so it works both ways.

Just interesting, because I am bored and kick off hasn't happened yet.

I think if I am Mike Bajakian, I am using the size advantage of our offensive line to run the ball a lot.

I would call an extremely Vanilla game and not open the playbook very much ( unless god forbid its needed).

I would probably try to call a 70/30 rush/pass game, and control the Time of Possession, keep Keaton off of the field.

USU can't beat you if their most dangerous weapon spends 40 minutes on the sideline.

I would make a horrible defensive Co-ordinator.

The best I can come is putting Maggit and Barnett on the ends to try and keep Keaton in the pocket, and from running on the outside, and trying to use our size advantage on the Dline to pressure Keaton into bad throws.

I believe our Linebackers are good enough to stuff the run so the key is to pressure Keaton into bad choices.

What say you VN how to do you plan for the W

Score more than them :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back