So what's the hold up on OC?

Still trying to find that right combination of butt kisser and pool cleaner. Not easy, Debord was one of a kind. Probably difficult to get someone else to believe his system is perfect as it is.

Am I hearing this right? Canales for OC? Seriously?

He's the next QB coach but yes, this is how UT hires. A very underwhelming choice but a very good friend of Butch so it's a slam dunk he's the one. Scott to be named OC and Fulmer the AD instead of DB. The contrast between how programs like Bama and UF are run and UT is....well....stark and overwhelming. Those programs are prepared and decisive. UT is nothing like that. Precisely why we are a 7-8 win/Bluebonnet bowl type program....and yes, I know that bowl name is no longer accurate.

Reactions: 1 person
he is still working on QB coach which he may designate Scott and QB coach as co-oc

Is that any kind of a hint that Kevin O'Connell or Weinke are back in the running? He wouldn't have to make Canales co-OC, would he?

He waited til after NSD to announce Debord. DeBord Named Vols Off. Coordinator/QB Coach - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site
Any reason to think he won't do the same here since it's just weeks away?

there are countless programs losing coaches every day and hiring new coaches every day. No one understands why Butch does it this way but Butch. I could name a dozen schools that have had coaching changes in the last week.

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi St
Louisville
Florida
North Carolina
NC State
Kansas
TCU
UCLA
Arizona St

just a few in the last few days. and not schools that changed head coaches involved

he is still working on QB coach which he may designate Scott and QB coach as co-oc

Fingers started the thread 'Caneles coming for second interview', Weinke was still being mentioned even though earlier he was 'off the table', is he still a potential hire for Tn?

He seriously might be having trouble getting someone to accept the job. For one thing he could be viewed as kind of in a lame duck type situation. Clearly he's lost a big portion of the fan base and will have a new athletic director soon. Also, the last couple of oc's have constantly caught hell from the fans. And at the end of the day they were bit just "yes" men doing exactly what butch told them to do. It wasn't debord's fault that butch failed to realize that both Kelly and kamara were way better at running out of the read option than Hurd. We ran it with Hurd a million times early in the year for about a 1 yard average. I'm also guessing that butch had instructed Dobbs to not run a lot early on to ensure that he wasn't injured. And in my opinion that was one of the huge mistakes we made this season. Dobbs is a great runner and everything works better when he's keeping it 10 times a game.
It was also butch that fired the strength and conditioning coach and replaced with with a ga...which led to the most significant injuries we've likely ever had in a given season.
It's going to be difficult for any oc to be successful as long as butch is the coach here and eventually candidates will begin to realize it's not good for their careeers to be butch Jones assistants

Maybe Dobbs didn't keep it because he read it wrong. Maybe every play looks easier in slow motion from 5 angles. It was Debord who orchestrated a powerful offense, but I'm sure Butch is only telling him what to do when we get tackled for a loss. The S&c thing was bad, but injuries were bad before the GA so Buych was trying to fix it. Now he went and got an NFL S&C coach with quite a resume. We got a defensive coordinator with quite a resume. We have a top notch recruiter in Scott. All these were guys Buych went and got. Maybe he is looking for an OC that will continue to enhance our record setting offense.

Reactions: 5 people
Fingers started the thread 'Caneles coming for second interview', Weinke was still being mentioned even though earlier he was 'off the table', is he still a potential hire for Tn?

he wants the job. not sure where Butch has in his pecking order

What if Butch names himself OC like mason done with his DC position?😜

That could be a good idea to throw a bone to fans who are so anxious to find out who the new OC is they are impatient -- just name himself interim OC until the new one is announced. :)

Thanks, also any word on Dorsey I thought he interviewed for QB coach job too?

moved on from him. word tonight, and I'm a little skeptical on word I hear since no one had idea about Warren, is that it likely is down to Canales and O'Connell. Worried O'Connell might get NFL offer that he elaves quickly.

moved on from him. word tonight, and I'm a little skeptical on word I hear since no one had idea about Warren, is that it likely is down to Canales and O'Connell. Worried O'Connell might get NFL offer that he elaves quickly.

Why not Weinke? I thought he wanted the job?

O'Connell and Canales, eh blah. But I'll let Butch do what he wants on offense as long as he gets us a quality OL coach and continues improving the defense.

He seriously might be having trouble getting someone to accept the job. For one thing he could be viewed as kind of in a lame duck type situation. Clearly he's lost a big portion of the fan base and will have a new athletic director soon. Also, the last couple of oc's have constantly caught hell from the fans. And at the end of the day they were bit just "yes" men doing exactly what butch told them to do. It wasn't debord's fault that butch failed to realize that both Kelly and kamara were way better at running out of the read option than Hurd. We ran it with Hurd a million times early in the year for about a 1 yard average. I'm also guessing that butch had instructed Dobbs to not run a lot early on to ensure that he wasn't injured. And in my opinion that was one of the huge mistakes we made this season. Dobbs is a great runner and everything works better when he's keeping it 10 times a game.
It was also butch that fired the strength and conditioning coach and replaced with with a ga...which led to the most significant injuries we've likely ever had in a given season.
It's going to be difficult for any oc to be successful as long as butch is the coach here and eventually candidates will begin to realize it's not good for their careeers to be butch Jones assistants

Butch Jones is in good shape. Not a lame duck. Hasn't lost fan base. Got an injury riddled team to 9 wins and third straight bowl game victory over a B1G team. Making the needed coaching changes to move Vols to next level. Everything is good. Fans are waiting for next year to pick up the pace.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back