So what's the hold up on OC?

Just a theory but anyone think Scott was hired last year with the idea that Debord would be leaving??It makes sense Scott was kinda a left field hire neways but has great recruiting ties especially with Florida and seems to be a guy with potential.Bring Scott in let him learn a year of the offense,then plug him in once Debord left?

Reactions: 2 people
Just a theory but anyone think Scott was hired last year with the idea that Debord would be leaving??It makes sense Scott was kinda a left field hire neways but has great recruiting ties especially with Florida and seems to be a guy with potential.Bring Scott in let him learn a year of the offense,then plug him in once Debord left?

well supposedly butch has known for a while now that CMD was going to retire, i think they only fly in the ointment was that he took another OC job.

whether or not it was in the plan to hire Scott, can't say. but it wasn't exactly unknown that Scott definitely considered himself more than just a position coach, and probably wouldn't have taken this job w/out at least an understanding that he'd be in consideration for other positions as they become available.

now, the issue is a qb coach. there's no way you promote Scott and not hire a QB coach, and if it's one of the names that we've seen thrown around, you can almost bet it'll come with Co-OC in the title.

as to when anything is announced...have no idea, i can see reasons to wait til after signing day, and reasons to do it before.

Considering no high caliber OC's are being interviewed I would conclude that it is Scott. I have no clue as to why they will not go ahead and announce. If Scott is the OC then I still want Weinke or Clausen.

If we are looking for an OC, doubt it, i still hope for Tyson Helton or Heckendorf.

Why has no one discussed John Shoop for QB's, he coached Bryn Renner and TJ Yates at UNC. It's obviously peculiar with Bob on staff but still a thought.

Reactions: 1 person
Considering no high caliber OC's are being interviewed I would conclude that it is Scott. I have no clue as to why they will not go ahead and announce. If Scott is the OC then I still want Weinke or Clausen.

If we are looking for an OC, doubt it, i still hope for Tyson Helton or Heckendorf.

to get the QB coach he wants he might have to make him a CO-OC. It would be embarrassing to Larry Scott to introduce him as the OC and then a week or 10 days change his title to CO-OC.

so he needs to make QB decision / hire and announce at same time.

Reactions: 4 people
Honestly, if you were kinda blindsided by the Warren hire, you think Butch is on a tight ship with this?

Are we trying to pull someone away from a job? Or are we just waiting around to see if someone better opens up?

I know that schools will ask coaches to wait AFTER signing day to announce they will leave program.

The longer Butch announces makes me really think we have a grand slam and only Butch and few others know.

I like the way you think brother.

I too have faith in Butch. I am not sure if it will be a home run hire in name, but I have no doubt that it will be a great coach for this staff and more importantly this team.

Go Vols.

to get the QB coach he wants he might have to make him a CO-OC. It would be embarrassing to Larry Scott to introduce him as the OC and then a week or 10 days change his title to CO-OC.

But that makes me wonder why it's taking so long to hire a Co-OC/QB coach.

Makes me wonder that Butch wasn't offering Co-OC from first place. He can't be that naive thinking that he could get a solid QB coach without wanting a higher position.

This would already be over if Butch would just offer OC/QB or minimum Co-OC/QB

But that makes me wonder why it's taking so long to hire a Co-OC/QB coach.

Makes me wonder that Butch wasn't offering Co-OC from first place. He can't be that naive thinking that he could get a solid QB coach without wanting a higher position.

This would already be over if Butch would just offer OC/QB or minimum Co-OC/QB

Who says he hasn't done this? Who says he isn't trying to get an NFL guy who's still hoping for a pro offer?

Geeze, critical thinking; truly a lost art.

He seriously might be having trouble getting someone to accept the job. For one thing he could be viewed as kind of in a lame duck type situation. Clearly he's lost a big portion of the fan base and will have a new athletic director soon. Also, the last couple of oc's have constantly caught hell from the fans. And at the end of the day they were bit just "yes" men doing exactly what butch told them to do. It wasn't debord's fault that butch failed to realize that both Kelly and kamara were way better at running out of the read option than Hurd. We ran it with Hurd a million times early in the year for about a 1 yard average. I'm also guessing that butch had instructed Dobbs to not run a lot early on to ensure that he wasn't injured. And in my opinion that was one of the huge mistakes we made this season. Dobbs is a great runner and everything works better when he's keeping it 10 times a game.
It was also butch that fired the strength and conditioning coach and replaced with with a ga...which led to the most significant injuries we've likely ever had in a given season.
It's going to be difficult for any oc to be successful as long as butch is the coach here and eventually candidates will begin to realize it's not good for their careeers to be butch Jones assistants

You are the greatest "likes" machine of all time!

It's just that you help VN generate "likes" for all the people that make you look like a troll! :)

Who says he hasn't done this? Who says he isn't trying to get an NFL guy who's still hoping for a pro offer?

Geeze, critical thinking; truly a lost art.

If that's the case, then clearly CBJ doesn't have the upper hand. I'd like to think if you are given an offer at TN you take it unless you are more than 90 percent certain you are going to get a better offer. And if that's the case, don't waste TN or CBJs time

Beverly Davenport is requiring a search committee, selection committee and implementation committee be found and selected before...... what position are we hiring for now?

If that's the case, then clearly CBJ doesn't have the upper hand. I'd like to think if you are given an offer at TN you take it unless you are more than 90 percent certain you are going to get a better offer. And if that's the case, don't waste TN or CBJs time

Sorry; I shouldn't have been so snotty. :hi: This just gets to me after a while.

When you're a hot commodity in the job market (and we want one of these for QB coach, right?), and there are multiple potential employers making interested noises, you go through this type of dance. When you stretch out at the end of the day, you're going to play the scenarios in your head, and most will sound good in different ways.

I've been a Vols fan for 45 years now, but I highly doubt that a coach of the caliber that we're seeking is going to say, Ooo, Tennessee offered; my search is over! He's going to check out every possibility, if only as a salary bargaining tool.

Coaching is not a profession for those looking for long-term job security. They have to look out for themselves and their families. JMO IMO FWIW TWSS YMMV

All speculation. Butch has not lost a large portion of the fan base. Just a few loud mouth NegaVols. Everything is going to be fine.

21696-albums272-picture5731.png

Sorry; I shouldn't have been so snotty. :hi: This just gets to me after a while.

When you're a hot commodity in the job market (and we want one of these for QB coach, right?), and there are multiple potential employers making interested noises, you go through this type of dance. When you stretch out at the end of the day, you're going to play the scenarios in your head, and most will sound good in different ways.

I've been a Vols fan for 45 years now, but I highly doubt that a coach of the caliber that we're seeking is going to say, Ooo, Tennessee offered; my search is over! He's going to check out every possibility, if only as a salary bargaining tool.

Coaching is not a profession for those looking for long-term job security. They have to look out for themselves and their families. JMO IMO FWIW TWSS YMMV

I get that coaches check out every opportunity, but at the end of day you need to put pressure on someone to make that decision. I just fear that Butch is like "okay man, take a week or so to let me know" , instead of "there are 100 coaches out there banging on my door right now for this job, it's yours if you want but I can't wait too long".

agree. no way he can promote Scott and not hire a QB coach, and if it's one of those names we've heard, no way they come for the same job in college, w/out that co-oc title.

VN Store

Back