So, when is the press conference?

Agree to disagree. Lack of relevance was used over and over as a recruiting and publicity tool against us. And truthfully, we're no longer relevant enough in the national conversation to get a player like Rickea on an AA team. Another 3 or 4 years and we're a full two decades from our last FF or natty, which was before most of today's players were born. So your "drama queen" is my "legit concern". Relevance is relative.

Cite someone specifically who publicly said that Tennessee's women's basketball program was irrelevant, so it could be used as a recruiting tool against Tennessee.

You said this :

Can you specifically name someone who publicly said that Tennessee's women's basketball program was irrelevant, and used that as a publicity tool against Tennessee? I don't recall anyone doing that.

You are not following me, for some reason ....

I'm arguing that no opposing coach/player/AD has ever publicly said that the Tennessee women's basketball program was irrelevant and then used that as a "recruiting and publicity tool," which was your initial claim.
See above. You changed the argument from "someone said" to "an opposing coach/player/AD said". Of course those folks don't say it publically, they just use it in recruiting against us, understandably so since it's so obviously true. And of course they use the fact it's widely said publically to bolster their argument, as if it needs any backup.

Your prosecturial challenge to me, until your last post, was to prove "someone" said it publically. Best example was our own AD who has said it and lived it in big way for the last week or so. Plus everyone who's ever broadcast an LV game or discussion of our tourney prospects. It's like arguing no one ever said publically the sky is blue.

But enough already! Let's touch some grass today.

See above. You changed the argument from "someone said" to "an opposing coach/player/AD said". Of course those folks don't say it publically, they just use it in recruiting against us, understandably so since it's so obviously true.
The problem with that is .... It was YOU who said that it had also been used as both a "recruiting and publicity tool" against Tennessee .... In order for that to be the case, someone who recruits against Tennessee, would have had to go on the record with such a statement. You made a false statement, and then doubled down on it.

Reactions: alexvol
^^^^ There it is. ^^^^
Agree, finally! Used in recruiting by coaches who privately remind recruits that it gets said publically by WBB analysts all the time. Because it's true. And sadly, no one actually has to say it to recruits or on broadcasts anymore. It's common knowledge. But according to many, including our AD, about to change with a magical pixie dust hire. Sure hope he's right.

The problem with that is .... It was YOU who said that it had also been used as both a "recruiting and publicity tool" against Tennessee .... In order for that to be the case, someone who recruits against Tennessee, would have had to go on the record with such a statement. You made a false statement, and then doubled down on it.

I agree with you. It is just part of an agenda. All I heard during the regular season this year and before is reference to Tennessee being the “standard.” The WBB analysts on major networks the likes of SEC Network, ESPN, etc were the ones providing the commentary. Rickea Jackson all year long raised high praise from WBB analysts who talked about her injury being a setback to the team despite the unjustified voting of sportswriters to exclude her from AA teams. Lastly, the NCAA, and SEC prior to the March Madness announced and spoke in-depth about Tennessee being the only WBB program to make all 42 tourneys. And before anyone comes on here with their prophecy, remember back in December through January many of you said 2024 would be the year the team missed the tourney.

I never once hear any WBB analyst state that Tennessee lacked relevance because they would be giving false information. Fanatics of teams and local sportswriters on social media with a paid for verified account are not WBB analysts.

Reactions: butchna
I agree with you. It is just part of an agenda. All I heard during the regular season this year and before is reference to Tennessee being the “standard.” The WBB analysts on major networks the likes of SEC Network, ESPN, etc were the ones providing the commentary. Rickea Jackson all year long raised high praise from WBB analysts who talked about her injury being a setback to the team despite the unjustified voting of sportswriters to exclude her from AA teams. Lastly, the NCAA, and SEC prior to the March Madness announced and spoke in-depth about Tennessee being the only WBB program to make all 42 tourneys. And before anyone comes on here with their prophecy, remember back in December through January many of you said 2024 would be the year the team missed the tourney.

I never once hear any WBB analyst state that Tennessee lacked relevance because they would be giving false information. Fanatics of teams and local sportswriters on social media with a paid for verified account are not WBB analysts.
All you said in the first graph is true, and was said. None of that made the LVs relevant in any championship conversation.

The disconnect seems to be the meaning of "relevant". To me, and apparently to Danny White, if you haven't sniffed a final four in a decade and a half, you are no longer relevant. Danny just based a whole fire and hire on it, so argue with him.

Lack of relevance was used over and over as a recruiting and publicity tool against us.
^^^^ The disconnect is what is in bold. ^^^^ .... You said "as a recruiting and publicity tool."

That means that someone who recruits against Tennessee did so by publicly claiming that Tennessee was irrelevant. There is no evidence of that at all.

Reactions: papatomany
You said something that you are unable to support, and you are either too proud or too stubborn to admit it.

You made the claim that someone had publicly said that Tennessee's women's basketball program was irrelevant, and then they used that claim as a recruiting and publicity tool against Tennessee. When pressed to be specific as to who it was, you have done nothing but dissemble. You have even doubled that it has happened frequently, and that it is both widespread and commonly known. That is a common practice among people who have been caught making a false assertion, which they know they can't prove. It's basically, "EVERYBODY knows this! The problem is with you." It's an elementary-level debating tactic.

The issue here is not if such things are said in private to recruiting prospects and to their family members (by Dawn Staley or some other coach). The issue is whether or not there is anything on the public record, because that was your claim, and you arrogantly doubled down on it.

It was bull $hit, and we both know it. That is why you didn't answer. You are right about one thing : Your BS is obvious.

Stop being butthurt.

Reactions: glv98
Stop being butthurt.
That is so stupid.

I'm absolutely right. The poster claimed that someone who recruits against Tennessee publicly stated said that they were irrelevant, and used it as a recruiting and publicity tool against Tennessee. That is ridiculous. It never happened. The poster I have been exchanging replies with has even doubled down it ....

Reactions: papatomany
That is stupid.

I'm absolutely right. The poster claimed that someone who recruits against Tennessee said they were irrelevant, and used it as a recruiting tool against Tennessee. That is ridiculous. It never happened. The poster I have been exchanging replies with has even doubled down it ....

Not stupid at all. Explain why this issue is of such importance to you.

Reactions: ATLVOLFAN01
Not stupid at all. Explain why this issue is of such importance to you.
Oh please can we just stop? Can't imagine anyone is enthralled with a semantic issue. What I meant was it is said publically and ALSO used against us in recruiting that the LVs are no longer relevant. I guess I'd understand more if the issue of relevance wasn't so painfully obvious and very reason we are where we are.

But if we can stop, I'll plead guilty and give myself 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

Oh please can we just stop? Can't imagine anyone is enthralled with a semantic issue. What I meant was it is said publically and ALSO used against us in recruiting that the LVs are no longer relevant. I guess I'd understand more if the issue of relevance wasn't so painfully obvious and very reason we are where we are.

But if we can stop, I'll plead guilty and give myself 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

I was just amused by the level of butthurt.

Reactions: glv98
I have read the argument above with initial interest, then with bewilderment that it has continued. It brings to mind something seemingly unrelated, yet most apropos.

When the Argentine military dictatorship in 1982 invaded the British Falkland Islands, known to the Argentines as Las Islas Malvinas, in a vain attempt to win popular support, the Brits, not to put too fine a point on it, kicked their arses. Shortly thereafter, the great Argentine author Jorge Luís Borges, in an interview with the Buenos Aires newspaper Clarín, described the war succinctly:

"Las Malvinas fue una guerra entre dos calvos por un peine".

The battle for the Falklands was a war between two bald fellows fighting for a comb.

I don't mean to impugn the hirsute integrity of anyone here, but the analogy is still apt.

I offer the following not as a proof case of anything at all. Rather, it is a statement of logic.
Any coach competing with us for a recruit would be guilty of coaching malpractice if they did not point out the diminished status of the LV program since its glory days.

Any coach competing with us for a recruit would be guilty of coaching malpractice if they did not point out the diminished status of the LV program since its glory days.
Oh, please ..... Any coach? LOL.

As "diminished" as Tennessee is .... they are still a better program than most of the teams that they recruit against. It's not like we've become Louisiana Tech.

Reactions: butchna
You say you have "no idea" why some fans don't like the hire. Seriously? Since you are into military analogies, I'm quite sure the brass wouldn't pick a Lieutenant to lead a division in coming major battle. It would pick a general or other officer with lots more experience. It's as simple as that.

Also, one only has to look at LSU and what it's done and where it is now as a program and compare it to where we are and what we've done. We have a far stronger women's BB tradition, and yet we've seen LSU and other programs leapfrog us in recent years owing to their hires and our hires. We got into this fix precisely because we made a pair of small hires--one very small, one smallish--and now we've gone small again. It might work; Caldwell may succeed--I sincerely hope she does--and if she does White will look smart. And if she doesn't, he will have lost a lot of credibility. Some/many of us were hoping that we'd at last hire someone who's coaching status matched our status as a program.
Well I was in the military and I selected a Sergeant to replace a Captain ( Company Commander ).....I was Battalion Commander ......under some dire circumstances ....and that sir is not an analogy .You can take that to the shed and chew on it !!!

Last edited:
Well I was in the military and I selected a Sergeant to replace a Captain ( Company Commander ).....I was Battalion Commander ......under some dire circumstances ....and that sir is not an analogy .You can take that to the shed and chew on it !!!

Poor leadership imo.

Just want to get this out for the "won't work in the SEC" crowd. It should look like Nolan Richardson's "40 minutes of hell", which they also said wouldn't work in the SEC. His guys swarmed for 40 minutes, just as advertised, gave up some dunks, which didn't affect his strategy in the least, got bunches of turnovers, and were top 5 in 3 point attempts every year. A very few players averaged over 30 minutes a game, and usually 9 to 11 of them averaged over 10 minutes a game.
It took him to year three to be truly competitive, and starting that year you groaned when you saw them next up on the schedule. If he had had the portal to work with, it would have been year one.
And how did he do his last 7 seasons??? When he had the players that system worked very well but with those players probably any system would have worked.
I am not saying CKC‘s system won’t work but you better have the players that can make it work.
A team’s potential is limited by the players potential. It is up to the coach to get them to their potential.

VN Store

Back