So, when is the press conference?

I have read the argument above with initial interest, then with bewilderment that it has continued. It brings to mind something seemingly unrelated, yet most apropos.

When the Argentine military dictatorship in 1982 invaded the British Falkland Islands, known to the Argentines as Las Islas Malvinas, in a vain attempt to win popular support, the Brits, not to put too fine a point on it, kicked their arses. Shortly thereafter, the great Argentine author Jorge Luís Borges, in an interview with the Buenos Aires newspaper Clarín, described the war succinctly:

"Las Malvinas fue una guerra entre dos calvos por un peine".

The battle for the Falklands was a war between two bald fellows fighting for a comb.

I don't mean to impugn the hirsute integrity of anyone here, but the analogy is still apt.

I offer the following not as a proof case of anything at all. Rather, it is a statement of logic.
Any coach competing with us for a recruit would be guilty of coaching malpractice if they did not point out the diminished status of the LV program since its glory days.

Yes, indeed, there has been a lot of insane parsing around the word "relevance". Back in Pat's heyday, one of the widely documented recruiting enticements was that every class she recruited made it to an NCAA final four. A streak that only ended with the "baby vols" class (and the LV have not been back to a final 4 since 2008).

If I am an opposing coach in a recruiting battle, I probably don't use the word "irrelevant" (so get that wet noodle out GLV98) but I sure might remind recruits about that 16 year gap, particularly if my school has done better or I can sell that it has the potential to do better.

The Army did not share your opinion .The combat mission was successfully completed with minimal casualties .The NCO was sent to OCS And became a fantastic leader in the Officer Corps and I was later promoted to Col and awarded a Brigade Command.

After 31 years, 9 months and 17 days, and a few combat tours, what the Army deemed successful wasn’t necessarily always so. I’m glad the NCO had the opportunity and took advantage of it. And glad you gave them a chance. 👍

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And how did he do his last 7 seasons??? When he had the players that system worked very well but with those players probably any system would have worked.
I am not saying CKC‘s system won’t work but you better have the players that can make it work.
A team’s potential is limited by the players potential. It is up to the coach to get them to their potential.
I don't agree with your assessment of Richardson at all. First, it doesn't explain the Tulsa years:

First year at Tulsa 26-7. Beat Louisville, who ended up 12th . Beat Syracuse to win the NIT. 7-1 against power five schools.

Year 2: 24-6. 3-2 against power five. Lost to champs UNC by 8, and semifinalist Houston by 4.

Year 3: drop off to 19-12, but still beat North Carolina, who ended up 8th.

Year 4: 27-4. Lost to Louisville by 2 in the tourney.

Year 5: 23-8, with a win over Oklahoma, who ended the season ranked 4th.

Secondly: in his best years, the system maxed out the talents of the players. They wouldn't have had THAT kind of success just anywhere.

And, thirdly: those last years he had stopped being the passionate coach he had been and had instead spent his time focused on perceived racial injustices, particularly toward himself. To the point were he said something like, "If they'll just pay me the money, I'd quit right now."

(I'll see if I can find the actual quote.)

Reactions: LV renaissance
You're right. It's such a far cry from Geno calling Pat Summitt and Tennessee "The Evil Empire." It could never happen ever.
It is indeed a far cry from Geno Auriemma referring to Tennessee as being an "Evil Empire."

Geno Auriemma said that in 1998 after Tennessee had just won their 3rd straight National Championship with a 38-0 record.

I interpreted that as more of a compliment to Pat's success than anything else ... Losing teams sure as hell don't get referred to that way by their rivals. I would welcome that sort of disdain again from our opponents. It was a sign of both envy and respect.

If you think that is the same thing as being publicly called "irrelevant?" Then you are an idiot.

Reactions: mcannon1
"I'm going to say this over and over. November is not my best month as a head coach. We struggle early...."
That is a small portion of what was a much larger statement, where she explains that her system takes time for players to become acclimated to. Are you going to hang on her every word, just so you find anything at all to be negative over?

Reactions: LV renaissance
That is a small portion of what was a much larger statement, where she explains that her system takes time for players to become acclimated to. Are you going to hang on her every word, just so you find anything at all to be negative over?

Sure, sounds like a plan.

Last edited:
"I'm going to say this over and over. November is not my best month as a head coach. We struggle early...."
I assume while at Glenville and even Marshall they scheduled money games early (pre-conference) that their AD knew they would be vulnerable but $$ matter to the smaller U's.
Well, if she plays a normal P5 OOC she should not struggle. I think Kellie over scheduled, it may have worked if we'd been injury Free but I'm more for using the pre-conference schedule to get the sets right while still winning. This means scheduling to give time to get your style set by January, then see what happens as hoping the confidence is right by then.

I assume while at Glenville and even Marshall they scheduled money games early (pre-conference) that their AD knew they would be vulnerable but $$ matter to the smaller U's.
Well, if she plays a normal P5 OOC she should not struggle. I think Kellie over scheduled, it may have worked if we'd been injury Free but I'm more for using the pre-conference schedule to get the sets right while still winning. This means scheduling to give time to get your style set by January, then see what happens as hoping the confidence is right by then.

That sounds reasonable, but she was talking about players acclimating to a radically different system (as opposed to talking about scheduling). She actually used the term "unlearn" when describing how the new system has players going against what they've been taught since youth. She used the example of players being taught to get back on defense after a made basket; now they'll be taught to move forward.

She also mentioned that in practice they'll start out setting the shot clock at 20 and then work downward from there.

Her comments were referencing the learning curve in implementing the system during actual games rather than practice.

That sounds reasonable, but she was talking about players acclimating to a radically different system (as opposed to talking about scheduling). She actually used the term "unlearn" when describing how the new system has players going against what they've been taught since youth. She used the example of players being taught to get back on defense after a made basket; now they'll be taught to move forward.

She also mentioned that in practice they'll start out setting the shot clock at 20 and then work downward from there.

Her comments were referencing the learning curve in implementing the system during actual games rather than practice.
another way of saying it’s broke, so it’ll take time to fix it.

Actually no BUT , that's what I mean by playing a reasonable OOC to slowly mitigate mistakes in this vastly different O & D inre to subs and time clock & 3s. Everybody returning & Portals will be on the same level as to the learning curve. Would be ideal to start out with Low Mid-majors and maybe sprinkle in a couple OOC P5 around Mid-December. These things gone over in the off-season sometimes don't translate until you get in real game speed. Then in your word acclimate to the stronger SEC with OU & Texas additions in January, its going to be even tougher. The OOC schedule is probably already set, so it maybe a non-starter anyway.

another way of saying it’s broke, so it’ll take time to fix it.

Not at all.

She's talking about implementing an entirely new system which is radically different from what 98% of dominant teams run. The traditional systems work fine if you have the athletes, as South Carolina and LSU have proven for the last three years.

Not at all.

She's so talking about implementing an entirely new system which is radically different from what 98% of dominant teams run. The traditional systems work fine if you have the athletes, as South Carolina and LSU have proven for the last three years.
And there it went, right over your head. If it wasn’t broke, she is not here.

Last edited:
Actually no BUT , that's what I mean by playing a reasonable OOC to slowly mitigate mistakes in this vastly different O & D inre to subs and time clock & 3s. Everybody returning & Portals will be on the same level as to the learning curve. Would be ideal to start out with Low Mid-majors and maybe sprinkle in a couple OOC P5 around Mid-December. These things gone over in the off-season sometimes don't translate until you get in real game speed. Then in your word acclimate to the stronger SEC with OU & Texas additions in January, its going to be even tougher. The OOC schedule is probably already set, so it maybe a non-starter anyway.

I agree with what you're saying about the schedule, but Kim was talking about the players adjusting to the new philosophy/style regardless of competition level. That's why she used the words "struggle early" while still expressing confidence that they'll eventually catch on and improve rapidly in the latter part of the schedule.

Not at all.

She's talking about implementing an entirely new system which is radically different from what 98% of dominant teams run. The traditional systems work fine if you have the athletes, as South Carolina and LSU have proven for the last three years.
We get it. You believe DW made a terrible choice and KC will fail. The horse is very dead.

VN Store

Back