Stopping Gurley

Gurley is the key to this game, if we can stop him we have a good chance of winning, he is the heart of their whole offense. Their defense is suspect and so is their passing game.

I agree their D is suspect but based on stats we give up more passing yards and more total yards than their D. Gurley is gonna get his yards no matter how many we put in the box. We have to win the turnover and special teams battle. What makes me the most nervous this week and against UF is that QB's like they have, especially Driskel is those guys coming out of nowhere and having career games against us. We have to prevent that the next two weeks and we have a shot at winning both games. Eliminating turnovers and not letting their QB's have the game of their lives will go a long way in determining what happens the next two weeks! Go Vols!!

He'll get 125+ yards.... The question is can we keep him out of the endzone. IF he gets 2 TD, we lose...

What do you think the over/under is on him making it through the game? I go for 2 quarters and he doesnt come out after half time. AND NO, not because he is not needed, but because he is fragile. just watch. He cant take the hits. AJ and company gonna make him think twice. We will hit him, lets see what kind of heart the gurly man has.

EDIT: I dont want any young men hurt, but its a rough sport. Ask Lattimore. And chub needs to keep that thumb in a cast and be careful as well, he is one well placed helmet away from . . . sitting out a few weeks.

Gurley is far from fragile. Keith Marshall is a different story.

Usc jr didn't stop him. He had 130 yrds on 20 carries.

I have no idea why Bobo went away from running Gurley at times in that game. There were several drives when he was the only way they could move the ball. Damned if he didn't too even when USC knew what the hell was coming. I believe they rested Gurley their last game because they know now that he'll have to carry the whole team to victory.

If it's me I just tell AJ he's your man, slow him down and we'll be there to finish him off. Very few souls stop Gurley open field and solo.

Last edited:
It was the day Monte Kiffin should have retired

Yea not his best defense that day. But he struggled stopping spread offense's with coming from the NFL. 4 of our 6 losses and bad losses were to spread teams. AU, Ole Miss, Florida and V Tech. Should have beaten UCLA and Ala.

Gurley and the UGA RBs in general are quicker than most. I think our LBs need at least to be one stride deeper than usual to keep their angles for tackles. Most of the time when Gurley gets through its due to the LBs not being there, not necessarily due to blocks, but they arent fast enough to get there in the hole, keep him to 3 and 4 yards, hit the RB in the mouth every play whether they have the ball or not, bring the pain as long as there is time on the clock.
Gurley ran the hurdles for the US Junior Olympic team in Europe. He is not a burner, but is pretty fast.
I think you are wrong about the LBs not being their. Like Danielson and others have said, UGA bases their running game on his being able to defeat an unblocked tackler, and he usually does. He averages 101 yards/game after contact.

I have no idea why Bobo went away from running Gurley at times in that game. There were several drives when he was the only way they could move the ball. Damned if he didn't too even when USC knew what the hell was coming. I believe they rested Gurley their last game because they know now that he'll have to carry the whole team to victory.

If it's me I just tell AJ he's your man, slow him down and we'll be there to finish him off. Very few souls stop Gurley open field and solo.

Definitely agree. AJ and JRM need to tackle him when they can and not let him get loose with missed tackles. Good thing is we are a much better tackling D than the last few yrs and faster. Like I said earlier what makes me nervous is in the past we get killed by a QB that has a career game against us that really shouldn't be. And that isn't being negative at all, our D has played so much better so far. But still that has happened so much the last few yrs that it worries me that it happens again. Especially against UF. No telling how many of their QB's during this losing streak has gone off for the game of their lives. Brantley had two good games, then Driskel in 2012 then last yr Tyler Murphy came in and played great. Hoping like hell Driskel doesn't go off or they bring in that FR and make him look like a Heisman Winner. That's the only way I see UF beating us with the problems they have right now

I think AJ will watch him the whole game and if he gets by AJ, Cam the sandman will put him to sleep.

Very good back and I had him winning the Heisman before the season started. It will all depend on GA line and UT playing inside out....

VN Store

Back