Talk of an alternate helmet?

BnOSMuh.jpg

I would support a color scheme change, but any UT helmet needs to have the power T

Reactions: 5 people
No DeerPark yet ?

I'm pretty sure that DeerPark stated just a few days ago that there would be no changes to the helmets.

Sorry, but I believe DeerPark over anyone else. He's been extremely reliable in all he says.

We may see a helmet change, but not this year.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm pretty sure that DeerPark stated just a few days ago that there would be no changes to the helmets.

Sorry, but I believe DeerPark over anyone else. He's been extremely reliable in all he says.

last I saw, he said there hadn't been a definitive yes or no

I would like to not see all orange ever again. Not a fan of the orange pants. Bring back the storm trooper away uniforms.

2 problems with this:

1) we upset a top 10 team for the first time since '09 in the all-orange

2) bring back the stormtrooper? Like bring them back from the 2013 season? Because we wore them against Bama.

new-nike-west-virginia-football-uniforms-gray-01.jpeg
these are what West Virginia wore with the grey uniforms -- leave the orange power T and it would look pretty good IMO

Reactions: 2 people
I would love an all white uni and helmet with the outline of the letters and T in orange but the center of the T white in white. Almost a faded orange or faint orange.

So where does it stop? Do you change traditions to accommodate one player, a group of players, some of the fan base, all of the fan base (impossible), our traditions have changed over the years and change isn't always bad. The power T and what it stands for should always symbolize The University of Tennessee!

So where does it stop? Do you change traditions to accommodate one player, a group of players, some of the fan base, all of the fan base (impossible), our traditions have changed over the years and change isn't always bad. The power T and what it stands for should always symbolize The University of Tennessee!

Gotta find that middle ground..

Why are we talking about changing tradition??? Butch jones and company are ADDING to it. The man gets it. Besides it keeps the product fresh for all the recruits.

Maybe in addition to the alternate helmets, Butch could break out some orange britches. Too soon?

2 problems with this:

1) we upset a top 10 team for the first time since '09 in the all-orange
I'm just not that superstitious about football.
2) bring back the stormtrooper? Like bring them back from the 2013 season? Because we wore them against Bama.
Bring them back as the default away uniform.

I don't care for the orange pants, but I'm not that worked up about it. I just prefer white pants as the base uniform.

Even the most tradtional Pro teams have made changes -

Plutonium Orange helmets that glow in the dark with carbon fiber chrome T's and orange/white/grey plaid face masks..sickness!

Okay, while I understand the argument about traditions and not liking change, I see that the alternate jersey and talk about possibly adding alternate helmets, are all an attempt to create a buzz and excitement about the program. Let's face it, we've been down for a long time. And most ost of the recruits nowadays probably don't know the history of Tennessee football like we do. I'm not saying we change our identity, but right now we don't have a lot of bragging rights...like an Alabama does. We need anything we can get right now to try and sway the top recruits our way. Once we reestablish our place at the top, these gimmicks won't be as needed as they are right now. But for now, I see what CBJ is trying to do. Let's just hope we don't go crazy like Oregon...

Someone in the uniform thread asked DeerPark about an alternate helmet saying "I thought you have been adamant about no uniform changes this year".

You'll notice I said very specifically that there will be no changes with the jersey and pant combinations.

Last edited:
I'm interested in signing the players that like playing dress up that will help us win games.

/thread

This is where I have always stood. The kids like some spice, and we have been lagging behind in the uniform department (as well as a few other areas) for the past few years. Whether some people like it or not, it can affect recruiting and potentially play on the field. I just don't get how people can get so upset at change. It's not like we are abandoning orange, Smokey, and "Rocky Top."

Okay, while I understand the argument about traditions and not liking change, I see that the alternate jersey and talk about possibly adding alternate helmets, are all an attempt to create a buzz and excitement about the program. Let's face it, we've been down for a long time. And most ost of the recruits nowadays probably don't know the history of Tennessee football like we do. I'm not saying we change our identity, but right now we don't have a lot of bragging rights...like an Alabama does. We need anything we can get right now to try and sway the top recruits our way. Once we reestablish our place at the top, these gimmicks won't be as needed as they are right now. But for now, I see what CBJ is trying to do. Let's just hope we don't go crazy like Oregon...
Crazy like oregon? You mean that in a good way I hope? Oregon is the best looking team every week. The nation googles their uniforms just to see the swag that nike can deliver. My heart bleeds orange, regardless of the outward appearance. Keep the traditional orange and white for a couple games (Florida, bama, bowl),other than that....I say go all out! Just think, throwbacks for homecoming to honor a team of the past. Uniform mix up doesn't mean neon socks and black helmets every week. That comes with the territory I'm sure, but there are a lot of traditionalists that would be really surprised and happy I think.
GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 3 people
/thread

This is where I have always stood. The kids like some spice, and we have been lagging behind in the uniform department (as well as a few other areas) for the past few years. Whether some people like it or not, it can affect recruiting and potentially play on the field. I just don't get how people can get so upset at change. It's not like we are abandoning orange, Smokey, and "Rocky Top."

My sentiments exactly. Tradition is great, but it's also an excuse. Plus, it not like all these traditions just happened at once. Stuff is always changing.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back