Tennessee All time team

How do people feel about Tobias Harris? Talent wise he has to be one of the better players for the Vols.
Name a memorable moment, a memorable play, a memorable game involving Tobias Harris as a Vol. I’ll hang up and listen.

I thought he was much ado about nothing.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Shout out for Ron Widby. Old school game.

• Ron Widby set UT's single-game scoring record, which stood for 20 years, against LSU on March 4, 1967, scoring 50 points on 19-of-39 shooting (both also single-game records) and 12-of-14 from the charity strip. UT won 87-60 in Knoxville.

Last edited:
How do people feel about Tobias Harris? Talent wise he has to be one of the better players for the Vols.
Tobias was impressive as a freshman and lived up to his billing. 2nd team All-SEC as a frosh isn't common. Maybe a Top 20 UT player arguably, but that team overall was disappointing. Pearl's worst team by far who got punked by 30 against Michigan in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. Pearl consistently played his son Steven in every game when he never should have been on the court.

Tobias was impressive as a freshman and lived up to his billing. 2nd team All-SEC as a frosh isn't common. Maybe a Top 20 UT player arguably, but that team overall was disappointing. Pearl's worst team by far who got punked by 30 against Michigan in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. Pearl consistently played his son Steven in every game when he never should have been on the court.
There is no love like that of a parent.

But he probably doesn't crack an MLB roster in the last 30 years. Comparatively weak competition.
Very naive to state that a talent from 60-90 years ago inferior to todays players without the benefit of todays development, equipment & training techniques. I’d say those greats in that era could play given todays equipment, coaching, etc. How great are todays hitters without helmets, gloves, shin guards, elbow pads, etc trying to hit spit balls, cut balls, balls thrown at your head in huge ball parks larger in most cases than today?

I’d say the college game & NBA of Kings era is better than todays basketball product. Much of the NBA draft today are guys who can’t stay in the league 2 yrs. Their development is hindered by the lack of playing time in college. The great Laker, Celtic, Piston & Bulls teams would smoke today’s NBA teams.

Very naive to state that a talent from 60-90 years ago inferior to todays players without the benefit of todays development, equipment & training techniques. I’d say those greats in that era could play given todays equipment, coaching, etc. How great are todays hitters without helmets, gloves, shin guards, elbow pads, etc trying to hit spit balls, cut balls, balls thrown at your head in huge ball parks larger in most cases than today?

I’d say the college game & NBA of Kings era is better than todays basketball product. Much of the NBA draft today are guys who can’t stay in the league 2 yrs. Their development is hindered by the lack of playing time in college. The great Laker, Celtic, Piston & Bulls teams would smoke today’s NBA teams.

Obviously it's hard to compare eras but there are greats that would transcend any era. Ruth possibly would have but his total lack of athleticism and life habits wouldn't work today..... maybe, maybe not.

I'm an 80's/90's kid. The NBA on NBC and the Bulls on WGN were like my crack. I agree that the great players and teams from the early 80's to around 2003-2004 were better basketball, better defense and just tougher mentally. The product was definitely better but I'm not sure that they match up as well with today's NBA as many think.

For every solid player and star of that era, you had several guys that wouldn't play today. Sure, the game is different so the skills that are valued are different but you just don't have guys in the league now who aren't at least elite athletes and there is a lot of parity with top end players that wasn't around in the golden era of the NBA. I think a lot of top teams of the past get run out of the gym by the best of today's teams. JMO

Obviously it's hard to compare eras but there are greats that would transcend any era. Ruth possibly would have but his total lack of athleticism and life habits wouldn't work today..... maybe, maybe not.

I'm an 80's/90's kid. The NBA on NBC and the Bulls on WGN were like my crack. I agree that the great players and teams from the early 80's to around 2003-2004 were better basketball, better defense and just tougher mentally. The product was definitely better but I'm not sure that they match up as well with today's NBA as many think.

For every solid player and star of that era, you had several guys that wouldn't play today. Sure, the game is different so the skills that are valued are different but you just don't have guys in the league now who aren't at least elite athletes and there is a lot of parity with top end players that wasn't around in the golden era of the NBA. I think a lot of top teams of the past get run out of the gym by the best of today's teams. JMO

Lol, at replying to my own post but I do think the 1992 and 1996 Dream Teams beat any "Dream Team" put together today and that's even with the politics of the original Dream Team that left one of the best PG's of all time off the roster (Isaiah).

Lol, at replying to my own post but I do think the 1992 and 1996 Dream Teams beat any "Dream Team" put together today and that's even with the politics of the original Dream Team that left one of the best PG's of all time off the roster (Isaiah).
Isiah with his 30% shooting from distance wouldn’t last long in today’s NBA. Leaving him off the Dream Team roster was the right move, too. If nobody wants to play with you, you’re not really a good choice for point guard.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Isiah with his 30% shooting from distance wouldn’t last long in today’s NBA. Leaving him off the Dream Team roster was the right move, too. If nobody wants to play with you, you’re not really a good choice for point guard.
Trust me if Isiah played today, where 3's are everything instead of an occasional thing, he would shoot a lot better. I guarantee it and the only players that didn't like him were MJ, Pippen and maybe Malone (that elbow was brutal), but I agree, it might have effed up chemistry on that team.

Bwaa-ha-ha, that last line was funny

Gotta have lofton on any dream team. If the game is close you know he was the best we ever had in clutch time. 40 ft 3 pt vs Kevin durant to stay in the game. And he had like 3 of those clutch 3s that game.

PG - CJ Watson
SG - Dalton Knecht
SF - Tobias Harris
PF - Grant Williams
C - Charles Hathaway

Zakai Zeigler
Chris Lofton
Vincent Yarbrough
Tyler Smith
Marcus Haislip
Wayne Chism
Jarnel Stokes
Ron Slay

Walk-Ons
Jeronne Maymon
JaJuan Smith

Hathaway was the player that made me a UT fan when I saw him play his Freshmen year. He will never not be on on my team.
I also found a loop hole. Jeronne and JuJuan started off as walk-ons, so they can make the team too.

Reactions: gainesvol82
PG - CJ Watson
SG - Dalton Knecht
SF - Tobias Harris
PF - Grant Williams
C - Charles Hathaway

Zakai Zeigler
Chris Lofton
Vincent Yarbrough
Tyler Smith
Marcus Haislip
Wayne Chism
Jarnel Stokes
Ron Slay

Walk-Ons
Jeronne Maymon
JaJuan Smith

Hathaway was the player that made me a UT fan when I saw him play his Freshmen year. He will never not be on on my team.
I also found a loop hole. Jeronne and JuJuan started off as walk-ons, so they can make the team too.

This is the modern list and has a number of guys I forgot who were fantastic.

This is the modern list and has a number of guys I forgot who were fantastic.

A little light on big guys and defenders.

Edit: Not light on them but a couple I would try get on my all-time team are Pons on and possibly Kyle Alexander...he was very productive as an upperclassmen.

VN Store

Back