Tennessee All time team

29 is very young to me 😆.

Your list is pretty good. I love ZZ, but I'd probably go with CJ Watson at PG. He was so good and I think overlooked on a lot of people's GOAT list.
Loved CJ's play and command of the court, however, the greatest thing he ever did was knocking Joakim Noah out cold. Noah reminded me of Big John Tate on the canvas after Mike Weaver connected.

Tony Harris
JP Prince
Ron Slay
Ernie Grunfield

Bernard King
Wayne Chism
Chris Lofton
Grant Williams
Schofield
Bert

Tough thing is Knecht, King, Ellis, and Houston are all around the same size, 6’6”-6’7”, and the former three played the same position mostly. Those are arguably 4 of the top 5 all time and it would be hard to get them on the court at the same without playing a very unconventional lineup.

Before Zeigler ends his UT career it is possible he goes down as the best PG UT has ever had. I would give CJ Watson a slight edge at the moment, but Zeigler may pass him in my opinion, particularly if he can lead team to another strong regular season and NCAA run. ZZ needs to shoot a better % overall, but defensively and playmaking for others is top notch. Wish we had another good PG to pair him with, because when he and Chandler were on the court at the same time, that worked well.

Bone was good but not Zeigler. Chandler the most talented but 1 year guy who had such a bad FT % that we had to take him out of some games late. Tony Harris was electric on offense. Michael Brooks was he a PG or 2G.....one of the best perimeter shooters in UT history that people forget about. Johnny Darden darn close to the top, and arguable played with 3 of the top 10 players in UT history. Other decent PGs, since I've been watching the Vols (Swearengen, Trae Golden, Turner, Maze, LaMarcus Golden, Shane Williams, Jenkins, Beaman, Ramar Smith, etc.) who were good in some areas but deficient in other areas. Not a ton of great PGs historically.

Reactions: conredge
This one is hard to argue with. You’d like to put Grant Williams on there, but I can’t justify him over King or Ellis. While I don’t think of Lofton as a true PG, he and Houston have to be in the starting five. We haven’t had a big man any better than Johnson.

Agreed. This list works for me. Also agree with your take on Reggie Johnson. I can’t recall any better pure big man ever playing for us in my lifetime. Went on to play behind Moses Malone and win a ring with the 1983 Philadelphia 76ers.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Before Zeigler ends his UT career it is possible he goes down as the best PG UT has ever had. I would give CJ Watson a slight edge at the moment, but Zeigler may pass him in my opinion, particularly if he can lead team to another strong regular season and NCAA run. ZZ needs to shoot a better % overall, but defensively and playmaking for others is top notch. Wish we had another good PG to pair him with, because when he and Chandler were on the court at the same time, that worked well.

Bone was good but not Zeigler. Chandler the most talented but 1 year guy who had such a bad FT % that we had to take him out of some games late. Tony Harris was electric on offense. Michael Brooks was he a PG or 2G.....one of the best perimeter shooters in UT history that people forget about. Johnny Darden darn close to the top, and arguable played with 3 of the top 10 players in UT history. Other decent PGs, since I've been watching the Vols (Swearengen, Trae Golden, Turner, Maze, LaMarcus Golden, Shane Williams, Jenkins, Beaman, Ramar Smith, etc.) who were good in some areas but deficient in other areas. Not a ton of great PGs historically.
I saw Brooks when he was at Memphis Melrose. The guy could light it up from Downtown. He was a good fit for Devoe's boring offense back then. Definitely on point about Chandler. He might though be the best pure point under Barnes. Also here is another SG the Vols had that isn't mentioned often - Tony White. The guy could fill it up.

Tony Harris
JP Prince
Ron Slay
Ernie Grunfield

Bernard King
Wayne Chism
Chris Lofton
Grant Williams
Schofield
Bert
Grunfield has to be in the mix. It was really exciting to see Mears' teams with all the talent they had Just go back and watch some of those games when they almost beat UCLA back when they bought the best teams money could buy.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000

Nice post.

Reminds me that Watson’s senior season is pretty underrated.

15.3 points, 3.9 assists and 3.1 rebounds, 2.0 steals and 62% True Shooting Percentage (which is really good for a guard)

He pretty much did it all.And won an SEC title that year.

I’m with you, I think Chandler is the most talented PG we’ve ever had (I’d actually argue it’s not close)

Watson has the best body of work.

And ZZ is in striking distance but his scoring efficiency is just too bad right now.

You left off one of the best, if not the GOAT. Rodney Woods.

Mears would include Danny Schultz in the conversation. He was a critical piece of jump starting TN basketball.

Jimmy England (Holston HS) was the primary PG in 1970-71 and also 1969-70 after Bill Hann graduated. England is another strong candidate as the GOAT.

I saw Brooks when he was at Memphis Melrose. The guy could light it up from Downtown. He was a good fit for Devoe's boring offense back then. Definitely on point about Chandler. He might though be the best pure point under Barnes. Also here is another SG the Vols had that isn't mentioned often - Tony White. The guy could fill it up.

White also played a lot of PG when Fred Jenkins wasn’t available.

I really liked Fred. Not the greatest shooter, but a really good defender and floor general. He was slowed by injuries.

Reactions: Namorto1

Mears would include Danny Schultz in the conversation. He was a critical piece of jump starting TN basketball.

Jimmy England (Holston HS) was the primary PG in 1970-71 and also 1969-70 after Bill Hann graduated. England is another strong candidate as the GOAT.
Two other really good ones: Red Robbins and Ron Widby.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
I was thinking of how many great players Tennessee had if you had to do an all time Tennessee team who would you pick for me it would be Ziegler at point, Chris loftin at sg, dalton knecht at the sf, pf would be admirol scholfield, and my center is duke crews

😂😂😂😂😂😂 Good Lord. I can put together an all time team that would run yours out of the gym.

My starting 5 would be ZZ running point with Dalton, Bernie, Houston, and Grant. The only issue here is a true big man down low, but I think those 5 could run almost any team out of the gym.

On the bench, I have Dale Ellis, Ernie G, Admiral, Chris Lofton, Ron Slay, Tobias Harris, Tony White, and Josh Richardson. Admittedly, I'm probably not old enough to appreciate some of the players from 70s or 80s, so I could absolutely be wrong about who to start, but that seems like a solid 13 man roster.

Bernard King
Dale Ellis
Ernie Grunfeld
Allan Houston
Dalton Knecht

It would a five worthy of a a Sports Illustrated Cover

Ernie would man the point as he did in the NBA leading the Kings to the West finals

Bench:
Reggie Johnson - possibly starting most of the time with Knecht as a 6th man
Wayne Chism
Tom Boerwinkle
Kennedy Chandler
Chris Lofton

Mine would be right in line with yours, but I'd have Grant Williams in there somewhere, and maybe Zeigler, as there are no pure point guards in your group. I love the idea of bringing DK off the bench as a microwave scorer, not that this group would necessarily need that.

Reactions: TGVol
True, I think Tony White probably was Top 7 best players in UT history. A scoring machine!

Good catch. Rodney I had heard of but really didn't start watching UT religiously until the year after he graduated. Earnie and Bernie got all the acclaim, but my first favorite player as a youngster was Mike Jackson (2G).

Reactions: Ovol

VN Store

Back