Tennessee All time team

I knew they weren’t point guards. I was just mentioning them to remind younger fans that the Vols had some great players even before Ernie and Bernie!
Sorry Thunder. I see the earlier post I was replying to was talking about point guards so I apologize for the confusion. I always liked Widby and Robbins though, as well as Howard “the enforcer” Bain!

Hard to compare different eras, someone should name top 5 from each coach.
i tried but but didn’t follow as closely doing Houston era, mainly finishing school getting a job but I supported the. Houston was a first class man, wish he had more success.

Tough thing is Knecht, King, Ellis, and Houston are all around the same size, 6’6”-6’7”, and the former three played the same position mostly. Those are arguably 4 of the top 5 all time and it would be hard to get them on the court at the same without playing a very unconventional lineup.
PF, SF and SG

Ellis could play all three off the bench

King as PF

Knecht as SF

Houston as SG

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
29 is very young to me 😆.

Your list is pretty good. I love ZZ, but I'd probably go with CJ Watson at PG. He was so good and I think overlooked on a lot of people's GOAT list.
plus, he is not as limited height wise both great players, but I would consider CJ the best overall 6' 2" inches. 10 years in the Pros. Hard to find a better one throughout the years than CJ.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
White also played a lot of PG when Fred Jenkins wasn’t available.

I really liked Fred. Not the greatest shooter, but a really good defender and floor general. He was slowed by injuries.
Fred was the all time steals leader when he graduated. Been passed since. Columbia guy like me. Loved to watch him play high school and college.

Good catch. Rodney I had heard of but really didn't start watching UT religiously until the year after he graduated. Earnie and Bernie got all the acclaim, but my first favorite player as a youngster was Mike Jackson (2G).
Jackson with those shots from the corners…bottom!

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
These must be some pretty good teams if there isn't room for Ron Widby.
Widby played for Dallas Cowboys and Pro basketball. I think I read he was the top golfer at UT and played football Basketball & baseball for the Vols. He was a generational player for the 1960s, every era has different playing stlyes. Especially before 1985 when the 3 pointer and shot clock were inserted.

Reactions: SuzyVol
How do people feel about Tobias Harris? Talent wise he has to be one of the better players for the Vols.

Fred was the all time steals leader when he graduated. Been passed since. Columbia guy like me. Loved to watch him play high school and college.
Watched him in the state tournament, he had one heck of a game. Later roomed with him one week when I was working Tennessee basketball camp, Goog gut was fun to be around.

Reactions: ksgovols
Hard to compare different eras, someone should name top 5 from each coach.
Good point. One thing needs saying: Mears played a 1-3-1 zone almost 100% of the time, which meant that his players sorta rested on defense. Except for Bill Hann (mentioned above) who often was put on the best scorer of the opponent (he used to hold Pete Maravich to way under his usual scoring). He was a terrific defensive player who belongs on UT all-defense team.

Reactions: WillisWG

VN Store

Back