The Byrd Decision - Offense or Defense?

IMHO, this year will depend more on D than O. Byrd's best next level opportunity is probably as a cover corner... and UT's greatest need on D is a lock down CB.

I hope they make him full time D.

Reactions: 6 people
Defense is where he is needed mostly. Jennings as well. The secondary is horrid and they add all conference potential talent immediately to the secondary. Switch them this Spring and they will be ready to rock and roll

You couldn't get Jennings out of the receiver group with a stick of dynamite

Reactions: 1 person
IMHO, this year will depend more on D than O. Byrd's best next level opportunity is probably as a cover corner... and UT's greatest need on D is a lock down CB.

I hope they make him full time D.

"Jack of all trades, good at none".
If you are correct (I think you are) then put him on defense and leave him there. However, if he is best suited as a receiver, don't sacrifice his possible future in football for the present team short comings. Train someone else for defense, that's why you recruit to your needs. Don't remember, was he recruited as defense, offence or as an athlete?

Jennings will be out there in the fall making plays, no questions about it. He has learned and moved on. JJ is gonna ball out this year. GBO!!!!

You couldn't get Jennings out of the receiver group with a stick of dynamite

Agreed. You gotta think that this is "his" group now, and he will be be an offensive captain if he keeps his stuff together. Still think Byrd will be our biggest playmaker on offense if they decide to keep him there, which I think they will.

Being Captain Obvious, I guess it all comes down to where he is most needed and can make the biggest impact.

I would suspect, if they haven't already done so, that 5 people have sat around a table discussing it.
Shoop and Warren for the defense and Scott and CZA for the offense all lobbying CBJ who is the sole judge and jury.

May he choose well and wisely. :dunno:

Can't see them moving him with Malone leaving and questions on what happens with Jennings.

Odds say Byrd stays on offense. There is some talent in this year's CB and Safety recruits. But I am not sure how many will be here for spring practice. So, if they decide to experiment, that would be the time.

Jennings punishment will be internal, and as long as he behaves himself going forward, there will be no questions. But he really needs to think about what has happened to Pig Howard and Josh Gordon.

having a guy like this on the team is a good problem to have. but it really comes down to what happens around him at various positions needing some development as to how he can best be utilized. i see value at DB and WR. and it would be my goal to see if it's possible if i could use him as both, given a particular situation/circumstance, and present match up advantages to an opponent.

but that solely depends on the development of other players in both positions.

i think he'll be an impact either way. he's just a dynamic kid, lots of speed, and with some creativity, and flexibility personnel wise, he could be really outstanding.

in a perfect world, i like to think he gets the majority of a playing time at DB, maybe gets some looks as a KR/PR, and is allowed to get 5-10 snaps a game WR.

but that depends a lot on how well are other WR's develop. i can't see Jones turning over the offense with a 1st year OC, new QB, new faces at some key spots on the team, AND taking away what could be a dynamic play maker at WR, if there's any question about what we'd have coming in behind him at WR.

guys like Callaway, George and a few others are going to have to develop. if they don't, then we better hope the new DB coach has an instant impact with this group of DBs.

I like the idea of Bryd playing offense and defense. Adoree Jackson played both sides of the play for USC, however it seemed like they had certain packages for him. The biggest issue is how much of the playbook would Byrd be able execute.

I was discussing this with a friend of mine (Miami fan) and he made a good point. He asked how many times Byrd caught a pass last year (15 times). Can you get that production out of one of the other young receivers? Probably so. Now, are those 15 catches better than having a lightning fast shut-down corner (his natural position in high school). I say move him to defense!!

Reactions: 5 people
If you are correct (I think you are) then put him on defense and leave him there. However, if he is best suited as a receiver, don't sacrifice his possible future in football for the present team short comings. Train someone else for defense, that's why you recruit to your needs. Don't remember, was he recruited as defense, offence or as an athlete?

He was rated as an athlete. He played both offense and defense. Shone on defense in games and All America appearance. The only reason he started out at WR was the "shortcomings " at that position. Keeping him there because Malone departed for the NFL is pandering more to that line of thinking. If the coaches and he concur that WR is his best position, argument over. Same applies to the opposite scenario.

I think as an athlete but iirc most thought he would be a CB. I think that's what he wanted to play too.

I don't think you sacrifice the team for an individual's NFL prospects either. But if a guy has NFL potential at CB but not at WR... you have to think he has more value to your team as a CB unless you are just stocked at the position... which UT definitely is NOT.

They're going to be shorthanded at one position or the other. IMO, they can throw to TE's or put RB's in the slot. They don't have a way to hide their CB's.

Reactions: 3 people
I just Byrd isn't another UT example of a talent that is clearly the best but somehow gets put where he is not fully utilized or behind another player who the coach thinks is "up and coming". Think Hurd vs. Kamara prior to the Tam game and all of 2015.

I just Byrd isn't another UT example of a talent that is clearly the best but somehow gets put where he is not fully utilized or behind another player who the coach thinks is "up and coming". Think Hurd vs. Kamara prior to the Tam game and all of 2015.

i think that's a valid concern. but, i also think that either way, TB is getting on the field. a lot. he won't be sitting on the sidelines.

my concern is can we really utilize him as a point of advantage (like a percy harvin/J. peppers type player) vs. just filling a need.

i think he'll be successful here regardless. i just look at him and think there's more he's capable of than simply filling a need, as good he may be at doing so.

Defense, definitely and a half dozen touches on offense..

It would be a disservice to him to keep him at WR, his prototype position is CB and we need help there. His speed is nice for our O but I think Latrell Williams or Callaway could step up and be successful.

Reactions: 3 people
If I were the HC the 1st thing I'd do is talk to the kid and see how he feels about all his different options.

That should have been done right after last season IMO.

I would already have him studying both the O and the D playbooks so he'll learn them both and be more comfortable with both.

I'd have him taking some snaps at both WR and CB all the way up to game 1.

Before game 1 we should know where we need him the most while players continue to learn and develope behind him.

If we needed him mostly at CB then that's where I'd play him BUT I would also let him keep getting some plays at the WR position during the games to keep the rust off and keep letting him get better as a WR too.

NFL could really like him at either position so if he has game tape at both positions making plays that will only help him on draft day.

He should also be used as a KR/PR to add to his resume'.

A talent like him and I'd be forced to get him learning and progressing at both positions because by his Senior year he just might become a AA at 1 position and a really good player at the other and then let the NFL try to figure out where to play him all the time.

I sure wish my son had had the talent and future like this kid has.

VFL...GBO!!!

He could be really good playing on both offense and defense, but he could be [great] playing and concentrating on one, and don't get him injured on special teams please

The Vols lost too much on offense for Byrd to switch to defense at this point, but Byrd could probably excel on offense or defense....he's that gifted, but the Vols don't have enough players like Byrd on either side of the ball:ermm:

VN Store

Back