The Byrd Decision - Offense or Defense?

First ignore for ignorance. We really have some fans who do not follow the team at all.

Umm okay. You're sensitive.

All im saying is if he was a lockdown corner last spring when he got here then we wouldnt be having this conversation. Obviously the coaches feel he is better suited to play WR and they are the ones watching him practice every day. Not us

Reactions: 1 person

All im saying is if he was a lockdown corner last spring when he got here then we wouldnt be having this conversation. Obviously the coaches feel he is better suited to play WR and they are the ones watching him practice every day. Not us

Truth is the coaching staff felt like Buchanan and Osborne were better DB's.

I would love to see him play both ways, but our coaches don't seem to believe in playing guys like that. So, for now, I say they'll keep him on offense. I've heard several analysts say he has the potential to be a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Tennessee needs a playmaker like that.

Byrd is electric, and we don't have anyone else like that on defense except for DKJr and Abernathy at times. I would definitely try him out on defense.

Also for receiver look for Brandon Johnson to be big next year.

Byrd is electric, and we don't have anyone else like that on defense except for DKJr and Abernathy at times. I would definitely try him out on defense.

Now that we have a new DB coach, we have no idea what we have in our secondary. We have players who could potentially be dynamic, but will they be coached up?

It would be a disservice to him to keep him at WR, his prototype position is CB and we need help there. His speed is nice for our O but I think Latrell Williams or Callaway could step up and be successful.

He's an even better FS prospect.

Nigel warrior...

i have zero issue with where they put him coming in. there, at the beginning of last year, anyway, we had serious ?'s at WR, and for the offense to take a next step, the passing game was going to have to improve and be more dynamic.

and defensively, again at the beginning, we had plenty of experience returning in the def backfield.

by the time it was painfully obvious that we were in need on defense, putting byrd back there would have been like putting a band aid on a broken leg.

which is why i still say Byrd is a type of player that you want to be able to use whereever, whenever you want. having to move him simply because you have to, is a place we have to get away from.

so i think it's imperative that we give ourselves options at WR and DB headed in to this season, so we can take advantage of what a guy like he can offer, no matter where you line him up. he has the potential to be a Dale Carter type. but he'll never be that if we HAVE to use him as a WR or we HAVE to use him as a DB.

You basically wrote a 4 paragraph post about the same thing, twice. You just inserted different names.

It is Byrds choice. Player has to buy in. We have altheletic kids available at both positions. Coaches have to coach them up. Shoop does need one shutdown corner to make the D work. If Shoop want Byrd he needs to convince him to play D.

We need him on D, mo' than O.

Why? Yes, we need a shutdown corner, but we need a safety valve for our new QB just as badly. Jennings is more of a down the field receiver, whereas Byrd is more flexible. Maybe we have someone else on the roster to fill that need, but that's also possible at the DB position.

As I said before, if he's capable, I'd love to see him play on both sides of the ball.

Why? Yes, we need a shutdown corner, but we need a safety valve for our new QB just as badly. Jennings is more of a down the field receiver, whereas Byrd is more flexible. Maybe we have someone else on the roster to fill that need, but that's also possible at the DB position.

As I said before, if he's capable, I'd love to see him play on both sides of the ball.

"Saftey Valve" -- back (if line can hold) or tight end.

Wow! I've read this whole thread and it has an insightful debate with actual logic on both sides instead of name calling and finger pointing.

Good job guys!

There is intelligent life on VN......

Sometimes. :)

If you followed more closely, you would know both coaches on each side of the ball were fighting over him but our numbers were down at WR. He dominated on D in games coming in. It was a numbers and depth move.

Keep him on offense. We are gonna score so much our defense will be able to coast 8 out of 15 games.

If you followed more closely, you would know both coaches on each side of the ball were fighting over him but our numbers were down at WR. He dominated on D in games coming in. It was a numbers and depth move.

If he couldn't beat out mosely at CB then he needs to stick with WR.

Has anyone heard if he will definitely stay on offense?
I think the common wisdom is that Malones departure means he can't move to defense.
But, I still wonder if the new secondary coach and Coach Shoop will try to lobby CBJ to give Byrd a DB tryout in the Spring.
Is there any remote chance that he could play both ways, maybe 75% of his snaps on offense and 25% on defense or vice versa?

In previous posts Coach Scott said that Byrd is staying at WR and not moving to DB. Although he could be another Carl Pickins and play both ways.

VN Store

Back