The Official Tennessee vs. Arkansas Game Thread, 7:00pm ET, ESPN2

FML. I don't know how many more close loses I can handle. This years team is breaking my heart.

Last edited:
So now that i have had awhile to cool down, i am not shocked at all at this loss. Honestly as we were walking in to halftime, at that point , i had no confidence in our coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments needed. what is sad is that a Rec-ball coach could put together a defensive game plan to stop our offense. Debrod has got to go. He is going to be the end of our Offensive recruiting and possibly Jones himself. Loyalty to a friend is all well in good in your weekend captain's choice golf tourney but this is a college football program. Grow a pair and find a way to not loose a 2 score lead. 3 times in one season!!! i know I'm going get negavol labeled, but It makes me sick to my stomach to hear my son ask "Daddy do we ever beat good teams." Go Vols!!!

I know it won't happen, but DeBord needs to be fired. Offense is predictable, slow and boring. Almost all of Volnation, including myself, knew that the DeBord hire was a horrible choice. Butch hired a buddy, knowing damn well he was a sub par offensive coordinator.

Reactions: 1 person
So now that i have had awhile to cool down, i am not shocked at all at this loss. Honestly as we were walking in to halftime, at that point , i had no confidence in our coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments needed. what is sad is that a Rec-ball coach could put together a defensive game plan to stop our offense. Debrod has got to go. He is going to be the end of our Offensive recruiting and possibly Jones himself. Loyalty to a friend is all well in good in your weekend captain's choice golf tourney but this is a college football program. Grow a pair and find a way to not loose a 2 score lead. 3 times in one season!!! i know I'm going get negavol labeled, but It makes me sick to my stomach to hear my son ask "Daddy do we ever beat good teams." Go Vols!!!

Same here. I didn't even get mad after this loss. In fact, I sort of expected it. I love UT, the Vols and will continue to be a huge fan, but I have grown to not expect too much. I don't think I will ever expect something great from this coaching staff. I just don't think it is in them.

I'm truly feel sorry for you guys that feel so down and can't believe we lost this game. Ark is a better team period. It's obvious. We won 7 games last year and we might win 7 this year. We can't look at our team and seriously think that we should be whipping people. If you do than you need to hug your kids and kiss your wife rather than watch. They won't disappoint you.

Dude, c'mon. This team lost to Toledo, at home. No, that's not accurate. The team that lost to Toledo still hadn't lost their top 3 WRs, so the team that beat us is actually a shell of the team that lost to Toledo. At home.

Butch has lost the fan base's confidence. He's certainly lost mine. Heck, he lost mine when he refused to own up to poor coaching decisions, choosing to blame "analytics" (not to mention the coaching card he blamed actually says to go for 2 when you're up by 12). I appreciate him raising the talent level, but I'm not sure he knows how to take advantage of it. Heck, if he got fired, I'm not confident that Hart would hire someone that did. I haven't felt this hopeless as a fan in a... well ok, it hasn't been that long. Still, though. I think this team's troubles go beyond coaching. I don't think we'll put a decent product on the field until Hart AND Butch are gone.

You're not a negavol, you just know when you've been sold a lemon and it pisses you off. I feel the exact same way. My daughter is so dejected after these crappy games, it makes me feel sick.

Dude, c'mon. This team lost to Toledo, at home. No, that's not accurate. The team that lost to Toledo still hadn't lost their top 3 WRs, so the team that beat us is actually a shell of the team that lost to Toledo. At home.

I agree with you. We should have beaten Arkansas easily.

Last edited:
Don't look now, but I think you just made his point.

Criticism or lack of support for Jones doesn't diminish fandom of the university. Why can't y'all see they can be mutually exclusive? Folks are done funding a guy's salary who'd struggle to beat Maryville at this time; the high school.

I know it won't happen, but DeBord needs to be fired. Offense is predictable, slow and boring. Almost all of Volnation, including myself, knew that the DeBord hire was a horrible choice. Butch hired a buddy, knowing damn well he was a sub par offensive coordinator.

I don't like losses, but you hit on a great point here. This offense is boring. It is not entertaining to watch, there is zero chance of a big play downfield, 99% of the playbook is runs up the middle and absolutely no creativity. On defense, it is getting to the point where it is the same. Virtually zero blitzes, no middle linebacker, soft coverage, etc. Right now, this is simply a very boring team. I like watching Hurd run, but there has to be some other aspects to an offense besides Hurd running the ball. We have a running QB who hardly ever runs. I think the quick slant across the middle page of the playbook got torn out. I think the page with the quick widout pass somehow got stuck to about twenty other pages with passes because this is really the only pass we ever see. Even when we line up for a FG, I expect the kicker to miss it.

My daughter graduated from UT last year and never got to see a good UT football team. She is now moving to Austin. Now she will go another 4 years without seeing a good football team. I think I or my daughter is the jinx.

The worst part about this is we are right where we were in 2008 after the Wyoming loss, or when Lame left in the middle of the night, or the LSU can't count to 11 loss, the NC 10 sec runoff rule loss, or the KY loss. As I mentioned before, unless we are willing to do what Bama, Michigan (so far) and Ohio State have done and go hire the best possible coach money can buy then it will be another roll the dice and wait for 3-4 years. It's an arms race and unless we get serious we will be an after thought. Reality sucks doesn't it?

Reactions: 2 people

Youre not a negavol. You speak the truth. Eyes dont lie.

Shoulda coulda woulda been 5-0 if we had coaches that know how to adjust. Weve come out and punched everyone in the mouth, then they make adjustments and we dont.

I know B*tch has at least another yr, so im not not the BBB (bye bye butch) bandwagon, but his days are numbered.

The good news is that Dave pHart has 15 months to make the right decision tjis tmie around. Our only hope is that this crew can some how miraculously save a recruiting class for the next regime.

I don't like losses, but you hit on a great point here. This offense is boring. It is not entertaining to watch, there is zero chance of a big play downfield, 99% of the playbook is runs up the middle and absolutely no creativity. On defense, it is getting to the point where it is the same. Virtually zero blitzes, no middle linebacker, soft coverage, etc. Right now, this is simply a very boring team. I like watching Hurd run, but there has to be some other aspects to an offense besides Hurd running the ball. We have a running QB who hardly ever runs. I think the quick slant across the middle page of the playbook got torn out. I think the page with the quick widout pass somehow got stuck to about twenty other pages with passes because this is really the only pass we ever see. Even when we line up for a FG, I expect the kicker to miss it.
Yes and Von Pearson would be a great receiver for quick slants across the middle, but he's rarely targeted.

My daughter graduated from UT last year and never got to see a good UT football team. She is now moving to Austin. Now she will go another 4 years without seeing a good football team. I think I or my daughter is the jinx.

Shes in luck! Waco is only 100 miles north!!!

I think everybody needs to take a break from this board. Emotions are high and perspective is distorted. You want to be critical: fine, but be respectful of other fans and posters. We all hurt. I suggest you get some sleep. Spend some quality time with your family tomorrow and go to work Monday morning without that vicarious "it will be ok if we just win feeling" that gives you a little pride and a push through the the week. There is more work to be done for this team and it is not all on the coaches. I will cheer, but we all are just....depleted. There are winnable games to be played and a decent bowl is still an obtainable goal. i came into this season looking for 8-9 wins if we stayed healthy. Maggitt and Gaulden are bigger losses than most understand, and our passing game needs serious work. That said, 7-5 is still realistic.

I think everybody needs to take a break from this board. Emotions are high and perspective is distorted. You want to be critical: fine, but be respectful of other fans and posters. We all hurt. I suggest you get some sleep. Spend some quality time with your family tomorrow and go to work Monday morning without that vicarious "it will be ok if we just win feeling" that gives you a little pride and a push through the the week. There is more work to be done for this team and it is not all on the coaches. I will cheer, but we all are just....depleted. There are winnable games to be played and a decent bowl is still an obtainable goal. i came into this season looking for 8-9 wins if we stayed healthy. Maggitt and Gaulden are bigger losses than most understand, and our passing game needs serious work. That said, 7-5 is still realistic.

Dude, my emotions are not high at all. In fact I am closer to being emotionless. I am just disappointed for the players, the fans, myself and all of Vol Nation.

Reactions: 2 people
Dude, my emotions are not high at all. In fact I am closer to being emotionless. I am just disappointed for the players, the fans, myself and all of Vol Nation.

Trust me- I get it. Like I said everybody is depleted. I just noted some guys beating up on other posters. It sucks. We are all disappointed and want to take the next step to winning consistently.

VN Store

Back