The Official Tennessee vs S. Miss Super Regional Game 1 Thread Sat. June 10 3PM EST ESPNU (Hattiesburg)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely they would choose Knoxville’s market and crowd over Hattiesburg right?
So Miss has a slightly bigger stadium, surprisingly, and is a baseball loving, if smaller, town. But I think we are the much bigger TV draw. Either way we'll be OK. But I'd like to see our team feel the love in LNS after winning at Clemson. Either location, we will have fans who know how to represent! Go Vols! 🍊🍊🍊

IF Penn wins, we most likely host. If S. Miss wins, I would be highly shocked if the NCAA doesn’t give the hosting duties to them
If I'm not mistaken, there's a bidding process as well. Depends on how much White was willing to spend/promise. In that regard, we should have a leg up if White was willing to go in with a strong offer....but that's a big if. I'd say it's 50/50 if S. Miss wins today. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that. Go Penn.

Why? They have no argument to host.
To be fair, they're ranked higher in several polls. Until the regionals, they also had a higher RPI. We had the SOS but that road record was dismal. Stadiums are pretty comparable. Knoxville is a better "destination" for sure. DoLIkn't know much about S. Miss baseball environment, but I do know Knoxville would be rabid and show very well for TV. Like I said, let's not have it come to that point. Penn needs to win today....period.

To be fair, they're ranked higher in several polls. Until the regionals, they also had a higher RPI. We had the SOS but that road record was dismal. Stadiums are pretty comparable. Knoxville is a better "destination" for sure. DoLIkn't know much about S. Miss baseball environment, but I do know Knoxville would be rabid and show very well for TV. Like I said, let's not have it come to that point. Penn needs to win today....period.

I thought we were 1 spot ahead of them in the RPI going into the regional. I would hope coming out of of the tougher region (Clemson > Auburn) would matter.

I thought we were 1 spot ahead of them in the RPI going into the regional. I would hope coming out of of the tougher region (Clemson > Auburn) would matter.
I scanned several sites/polls last night just to get a general feel for the comparison so I will defer to your info on the RPI. Having Penn win would be ideal. Having said that I dont think they've got enough in the tank to pull it out today. White's bid likely will be our ace in the hole on hosting.

Ok.. Penn wins this afternoon at 3Pm on ESPN plus and we host Thursday. Correct?

Games are Friday - Sunday/Saturday - Monday, but if Penn wins it is a 100% guarantee that Tennessee hosts. Penn's stadium seats less than 1,000 spectators and has no lights, there's just not a chance they could be considered.

Penn wins, UT will host. No way the committee thinks otherwise with facility constraints, seating, hotels, attraction to the area, etc.
So. Miss wins and the committee will look at bids for each school...my money is as soon as the beer / champagne was drank last night, Danny White and his team were assembling that bid package.

In terms of facility, I call it dead even. They seat a few more people but I think with the recent renovations Lindsey Nelson has some better luxury boxes and amenities.
That said, the people around Southern Miss LOVE their baseball and will show out and fill that place every game.
Then it comes down to the fringe stuff like local attractions, hotels, restaurants...I believe both schools to be competitive here.

So finally it comes down to that little thing called cash...will/does the UTAD think they can pay out X amount to host the SR and make money back plus?
Me, I'm not sure, but then again that's why i trust in Danny White and his team...I bet we end up hosting.

Penn wins, UT will host. No way the committee thinks otherwise with facility constraints, seating, hotels, attraction to the area, etc.
So. Miss wins and the committee will look at bids for each school...my money is as soon as the beer / champagne was drank last night, Danny White and his team were assembling that bid package.

In terms of facility, I call it dead even. They seat a few more people but I think with the recent renovations Lindsey Nelson has some better luxury boxes and amenities.
That said, the people around Southern Miss LOVE their baseball and will show out and fill that place every game.
Then it comes down to the fringe stuff like local attractions, hotels, restaurants...I believe both schools to be competitive here.

So finally it comes down to that little thing called cash...will/does the UTAD think they can pay out X amount to host the SR and make money back plus?
Me, I'm not sure, but then again that's why i trust in Danny White and his team...I bet we end up hosting.
Pretty sure the bids are already in.

What's the idea of bidding to host? You just offer to pay the NCAA a certain amount of money to host--and it takes the highest offer?

Reactions: IndianaVol
What's the idea of bidding to host? You just offer to pay the NCAA a certain amount of money to host--and it takes the highest offer?

Assuming that the stadium has lights and can be set up for TV, that would be my guess. With the NCAA, it is always about money.

Yeah...more and more the NCAA is showing it's true colors...to quote Cuba "show me the money!!!"

So, I was curious so I just looked it up.
Weather in Knoxville next weekend is 85 and sunny.
Weather in Missippi 93 and rain. We might get the supers because of better weather.
You would hope that would be a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back