Thoughts on Brian Kelley

Cajuns hate facetiousness? That’s the thesis? You started at immorality, then seemed to veer into inauthenticity, but land on facetiousness? He’ll be run off for his jocularity, of all things? Oooh those Cajun. Who knew? That guy has some terrible flaws. He’s a bad leader. He’s dangerous with kids. It won’t be his facetiousness that takes him down.
They fired Miles who never won less than 8 in a season there.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Look at his record against top 10 teams. I think it's one win against Clemson two years ago when Trevor Lawrence had Covid and some of Clemson's defensive starters were out, ND still almost lost when they let freshman DJ U. throw for almost 500 yards or something like that. Every other ND game against a top ten team was not only a loss but an absolute beat down. Say whatever you want about ND's talent, a high quality coach would have at least had them competitive in some of those games. LSU's season so far resembles one of his typical smoke and mirror jobs at ND, and if the Vols are a legit top ten team then they should go into Baton Rouge on Saturday and take care of business.
Except LSU is very talented.

Also, there's really no reason for ND to ever struggle with talent. Historically Catholic schools across the country steered a lot of really good players to them. That could be a glimpse of how he will recruit once he's better known.

He’s a proven high level head coach. If Orgeron can win one at LSU then certainly Kelly can.
That's like saying Gene Chizk was great because he stumbled on Cam Newton. Maybe lightning will strike in the same way for Kelly but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: Jeff Clark
Likeable losers last longer than unlikable ones. He better develop a winning program quick. JMO

If by some chance the talent leaves the state in waves like it has before he’s already a dead man walking.

It’s a whole different world when you aren’t protected by a weak schedule and an automatic bowl bid.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Except LSU is very talented.

Also, there's really no reason for ND to ever struggle with talent. Historically Catholic schools across the country steered a lot of really good players to them. That could be a glimpse of how he will recruit once he's better known.

Except you can’t fake your way into Cajun country. He’s already guilty of that once how long before the talent leaves the state? Then what?

If Florida catches on and A&M turns things around they’re all going to pull from the state and before long LSU will be really bad. There is no catching lightening twice.

and then there’s Texas but they’re a long ways out from being back to anything

Reactions: sjt18
Except you can’t fake your way into Cajun country. He’s already guilty of that once how long before the talent leaves the state? Then what?

If Florida catches on and A&M turns things around they’re all going to pull from the state and before long LSU will be really bad. There is no catching lightening twice.

and then there’s Texas but they’re a long ways out from being back to anything
Agree with you. My response was specific to the upcoming game.

Agree with you. My response was specific to the upcoming game.

Ohh, I see.

I see Tennessee being up and down against LSU. Tennessee should beat them soundly with little issue. That being said unfortunately Tennessee has to play defense and Special Teams. They’ve got to figure out what the core issue is on both parts. It can’t be just a talent issue. Tennessee really doesent cover well on defense and I hope and pray they get a clean punt away. They can not afford to let LSU hang around because they will lose. They need to put this game away as early as possible and leave no doubts.

Reactions: T Clifton and sjt18
An interesting betting line would be which big, big $ coach of the "future" SEC West gets canned first?

Fisher - really, really needs to win big or that oil money will kick in again! Is that brisket smell his rear end on the hot seat?
Kelley - he might pull one out against us next week, but can he win in the SEC West? Can he win in the SEC?
Sark - will "Manning" up enable him to finally win big like Texans expect? He better...
Ven-man - He would have been able to keep that TCU game closer if our entire D transferred to OU!

Brian Kelly may be a strange person, but he’s a very good coach. I expect him to at least win one NC while he’s there.
I'd bet money right now that he won't.

Because he won't last long enough to. He just doesn't fit. That's going to grate on everyone's nerves (his included) until it pushes him out of the job.

He’s a higher profile Gerry DiNardo. Right place at right time. I actually like Coach DiNardo…Coach Kelly, not so much.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Kelly is a very good coach and LSU is loaded with talent. He'll be a regular 9-10+ game a year winner there like he has been everywhere he's coached. He's had 10 10+ win seasons and wins 73 percent of his games.

This will be a tough game for us, especially with our issues on defense. Their talent level is closer to Georgia and Alabama's than anyone else we will play this year.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I'd bet money right now that he won't.

Because he won't last long enough to. He just doesn't fit. That's going to grate on everyone's nerves (his included) until it pushes him out of the job.
All i know is that he’s won everywhere he’s coached. I don’t know why that would change suddenly at LSU. Yes, he’ll play stiffer competition in the SEC but he has an insane amount of talent to work with in Louisiana alone so it balances out.

Also, I wouldn’t be downplaying him either because it’ll be all the sweeter when we beat him this Saturday.

Kelly is a very good coach and LSU is loaded with talent. He'll be a regular 9-10+ game a year winner there like he has been everywhere he's coached. He's had 10 10+ win seasons and wins 73 percent of his games.

This will be a tough game for us, especially with our issues on defense. Their talent level is closer to Georgia and Alabama's than anyone else we will play this year.
Kelly won with far less talent. I expect him to have success at LSU.
Recruiting will tell the tale.
Built-in recruiting in LA is similar to the built-in recruiting for ND.
If he keeps the in-state pipeline flowing, he will keep LSU dominant. If he loses it he will be looking for an escape hatch. I suspect it will be a soap opera, as usual in Cajun country.

I don't think enough is made of a potential coach's fit culturally as it pertains to the geography of the conference. I don't know the man, based purely off what I've read/seen ?!...If he came to my house to recruit my child, it would be a short visit. I get the same feeling about Leach.

I do declare him to be the finest coach in the great state of Louisiana. His coaching is as good as his momma’s biscuits and gravy. Now, sit down on your front porch rocking chair with a glass of sweet tea and watch this fine young southern gentleman coach a fooseball game.

I don't think enough is made of a potential coach's fit culturally as it pertains to the geography of the conference. I don't know the man, based purely off what I've read/seen ?!...If he came to my house to recruit my child, it would be a short visit. I get the same feeling about Leach.
I would also add Lane Kiffin to that list.

VN Store

Back