Vols Practice Thread #16

This OL may shock the SEC... Pruitt is doing something Jones never did... he's keeping them health while making them better.
i dunno if they'll shock, but considering how bad we've been, that actually may make sense, relatively speaking.

on a serious note, i think you can legitimately see the workings of a pretty good OL with smith at LT, Kennedy at center and what we all hope to be a reborn Drew Richmond at RT. that's 2 5* and a 4* anchoring your OL, with The Johnsons, Carvin, Calbert, and Tatum splitting up the other two spots.

i do think if this holds and hall and richmond continue to get better, we gonna be alright up front.

and let's not talk about health. let's just smile, nod in acknowledgment and not mention it again.

Not sure whether Vols’ Trey Smith has been officially cleared for contact yet, but he tossed Jarious Abercrombie like a rag doll in a drill today. Knocked him back so hard he fell down and fell into another O-lineman, and that guy fell, too. Abercrombie is 6-foot-4, 330 pounds.
View attachment 164238
Eh, I mean I'd hope our best, highly recruited, 5-star OL could throw a walk-on D-lineman around like a rag doll...that'd be a big problem if he couldn't.

Eh, I mean I'd hope our best, highly recruited, 5-star OL could throw a walk-on D-lineman around like a rag doll...that'd be a big problem if he couldn't.
I think they’re pointing out that this particular walk-on is gigantic as well, and the amount of force behind Treys hit caused two linemen to fall down

He’s not a preseason all American because he sucks. You already know what he can do, no reason to be a glass half empty type.
I'm just saying throwing walk-ons like rag dolls in practice is a baseline expectation for someone who is supposed to be that good. Besides, he isn't the problem. There are 4 other guys we have to play on the O-line. If they haven't improved mightily, it'll be another long, frustrating year. Those guys are who I'm concerned about. I'm much more encouraged by Chance Hall being a full participant. I don't think that position group will improve noticeably though until Pruitt has a chance to build an entire one himself (ex-Trey Smith) via recruiting.

I'm just saying throwing walk-ons like rag dolls in practice is a baseline expectation for someone who is supposed to be that good. Besides, he isn't the problem. There are 4 other guys we have to play on the O-line. If they haven't improved mightily, it'll be another long, frustrating year. Those guys are who I'm concerned about. I'm much more encouraged by Chance Hall being a full participant. I don't think that position group will improve noticeably though until Pruitt has a chance to build an entire one himself (ex-Trey Smith) via recruiting.
I think the excitement comes from him being healthy and able to play. It does in regards to me anyway

2 things one is this qu0ote i saw "Smith was back with the main group that also included Riley Locklear, Brandon Kennedy, Ryan Johnson and Drew Richmond. " I think that J Johnson competes at LG and we are set. but even that starting 5 makes me happy with J.Johnson being the 6th man since he can pretty much play 4.5/5 positions (you cant just walk into center). I think he is a better prospect than Riley Locklear at this point but his versatility and the knowledge that at some point we will need the 6th man means to me Johnson being the 6th man works best. If we lose anything but center plug in Johnson (who fits best at RT with what we know) riley is our backup Center if Kennedy goes down IMO. We have some much versatility especially on the interior of the line right now its crazy and a big problem. I honestly think if you're just looking at guard we have like 8 guys that would start on darn near any other team. We lack Experience (super important at center) and experience/talent at tackle. We have lots of guys that project at tackle but few with experience and u cant mess with that.

Second think is what was said about JJ. He participated in full contact and looked 100%. that's from quotes. If that is true he is hands down our number 1 WR. Callaway is special but JJ is a beast. He is a prima donna but aren't almost all great WR's? Almost all great WR's fall into 3 categories. Prima Donna, marvin Harrison (talent with secrets). or Jerry rice (and Larry Fitzgerald). JJ is hands down one of those and will blow up the NFL beyond anyone else on our roster. I have only in my lifetime seen 5 WR's that sated my need. the G.O.A.T. and the rest in no order Moss, Fitzgerald, Owens and Harrison. Calvin Johnson sits on the cusp for me. but I know I had to watch every game those guys played whether i liked the team they were on or not. Of those 3 were strictly business 2 were Prima Donna's and marvin harrison would be in the strictly business category but he was a victim of the beginning of social media. The math seems off but if you look at the next tier down almost down are Prima Donna's Rice, Harrison and Fitz are all the expectation the the rule. If you look at the rest of the WR's in that era (and now)that were awesome for every Hines ward there were 20 you had 10 OBJ's and Dez Bryant's. most WR's are divas before they make a pro bowl. they have to be because of the position just like CB's they live on an island.

If it's short yardage this year, Trey could be the kind of player who tells the defense the rock is coming behind him, "let's rock!!" It's going to be a lot of fun watching him play while we have the chance on The Hill.

200w.gif

And with Ja’Quain Blakely running right behind Trey.

Reactions: checkerboards09
2 things one is this qu0ote i saw "Smith was back with the main group that also included Riley Locklear, Brandon Kennedy, Ryan Johnson and Drew Richmond. " I think that J Johnson competes at LG and we are set. but even that starting 5 makes me happy with J.Johnson being the 6th man since he can pretty much play 4.5/5 positions (you cant just walk into center). I think he is a better prospect than Riley Locklear at this point but his versatility and the knowledge that at some point we will need the 6th man means to me Johnson being the 6th man works best. If we lose anything but center plug in Johnson (who fits best at RT with what we know) riley is our backup Center if Kennedy goes down IMO. We have some much versatility especially on the interior of the line right now its crazy and a big problem. I honestly think if you're just looking at guard we have like 8 guys that would start on darn near any other team. We lack Experience (super important at center) and experience/talent at tackle. We have lots of guys that project at tackle but few with experience and u cant mess with that.

Second think is what was said about JJ. He participated in full contact and looked 100%. that's from quotes. If that is true he is hands down our number 1 WR. Callaway is special but JJ is a beast. He is a prima donna but aren't almost all great WR's? Almost all great WR's fall into 3 categories. Prima Donna, marvin Harrison (talent with secrets). or Jerry rice (and Larry Fitzgerald). JJ is hands down one of those and will blow up the NFL beyond anyone else on our roster. I have only in my lifetime seen 5 WR's that sated my need. the G.O.A.T. and the rest in no order Moss, Fitzgerald, Owens and Harrison. Calvin Johnson sits on the cusp for me. but I know I had to watch every game those guys played whether i liked the team they were on or not. Of those 3 were strictly business 2 were Prima Donna's and marvin harrison would be in the strictly business category but he was a victim of the beginning of social media. The math seems off but if you look at the next tier down almost down are Prima Donna's Rice, Harrison and Fitz are all the expectation the the rule. If you look at the rest of the WR's in that era (and now)that were awesome for every Hines ward there were 20 you had 10 OBJ's and Dez Bryant's. most WR's are divas before they make a pro bowl. they have to be because of the position just like CB's they live on an island.

Whew! I read almost every word.

Smith is a lock to 10 draft pick when he goes. If he stays healthy. He looks like Tyron Smith 2.0.

Also great news Jennings appears to be 100% and not wearing any braces. Some people on the board were saying he wouldnt play against WVU.

It would be wonderful to have a game with a reasonably injury free team. A new experience. But, we're at risk with Trey Bain...er...Smith putting his signature on the drills!

Jahmir Johnson looks like Tatum. pretty small compared to the rest.

Bituli looks like an SEC line backer

VN Store

Back