Vols Practice Thread #16

I’m a big Trey Smith fan and have no doubt he is a very strong man but does anybody else see the video of him “tossing the guy like a rag doll” as simply just the guy he was doing the drill against and the other guy getting tangled up? I mean it looks like they just didn’t mean to carry the drill at an angle and Smith’s guy fell over the other guy. Again, no doubt he is strong and a beast but I think that “throwing him like a rag doll” is a bit of a stretch in this particular instance. Anybody agree? Disagree?

It looked like that to me, too.

The more we see of this team the more impressed we will be. People forget exactly how many guys have been hurt for us. This is the healthiest we have been in the past two years. All of our starters are available. When’s the last time that happened? Lol

We have a healthy team the past two seasons and butch jones is still head coach. I don’t even know how to feel about that thought.

The more we see of this team the more impressed we will be. People forget exactly how many guys have been hurt for us. This is the healthiest we have been in the past two years. All of our starters are available. When’s the last time that happened? Lol

We have a healthy team the past two seasons and butch jones is still head coach. I don’t even know how to feel about that thought.

1534911143368.gif

This OL may shock the SEC... Pruitt is doing something Jones never did... he's keeping them health while making them better.
For what it's worth back up RB Banks tweeted that about a month ago that our o line was a beast!

Reactions: sjt18
I’m a big Trey Smith fan and have no doubt he is a very strong man but does anybody else see the video of him “tossing the guy like a rag doll” as simply just the guy he was doing the drill against and the other guy getting tangled up? I mean it looks like they just didn’t mean to carry the drill at an angle and Smith’s guy fell over the other guy. Again, no doubt he is strong and a beast but I think that “throwing him like a rag doll” is a bit of a stretch in this particular instance. Anybody agree? Disagree?
Whole lot of not caring required for this one.

I ought to beat you with a garden hose. Trey Smith has killed men over headphones. He was once photographed with a sledgehammer....OK?

I thought the exact same thing OP. Trey certainly is a beast, but It looked to me like the players who were holding the blocking pads were letting themselves get driven back and the guy in front of Smith got on his heels a little too much and got tangled up with the guy next to him. The video certainly didnt show him getting tossed around like a rag doll.

Reactions: OrangePower
I like the work the DBs are doing and the attention they're getting. This may have taken place in the past, but I don't recall it standing out as much - imo

Enjoy him while you can. Trey will be a top 5 pick after his jr year.

A healthy O-line will surprise a number of teams, however, I believe an underrated aspect is the style of play. Going to the pro set vs the spread is an entirely different system for O-lineman. If we happen to get a first down with one yard to go against Florida, I look forward to trying to run the ball in, as opposed to passing 4 consecutive downs. While there was some limited success with the spread (until the red zone), I prefer not to try to "trick" the defense as much as in previous years. I believe we will be pleasantly surprised with the performance of our O-line this year. Contributing factors are health, new blood, coaching and the change in style of play.

2 things one is this qu0ote i saw "Smith was back with the main group that also included Riley Locklear, Brandon Kennedy, Ryan Johnson and Drew Richmond. " I think that J Johnson competes at LG and we are set. but even that starting 5 makes me happy with J.Johnson being the 6th man since he can pretty much play 4.5/5 positions (you cant just walk into center). I think he is a better prospect than Riley Locklear at this point but his versatility and the knowledge that at some point we will need the 6th man means to me Johnson being the 6th man works best. If we lose anything but center plug in Johnson (who fits best at RT with what we know) riley is our backup Center if Kennedy goes down IMO. We have some much versatility especially on the interior of the line right now its crazy and a big problem. I honestly think if you're just looking at guard we have like 8 guys that would start on darn near any other team. We lack Experience (super important at center) and experience/talent at tackle. We have lots of guys that project at tackle but few with experience and u cant mess with that.

Second think is what was said about JJ. He participated in full contact and looked 100%. that's from quotes. If that is true he is hands down our number 1 WR. Callaway is special but JJ is a beast. He is a prima donna but aren't almost all great WR's? Almost all great WR's fall into 3 categories. Prima Donna, marvin Harrison (talent with secrets). or Jerry rice (and Larry Fitzgerald). JJ is hands down one of those and will blow up the NFL beyond anyone else on our roster. I have only in my lifetime seen 5 WR's that sated my need. the G.O.A.T. and the rest in no order Moss, Fitzgerald, Owens and Harrison. Calvin Johnson sits on the cusp for me. but I know I had to watch every game those guys played whether i liked the team they were on or not. Of those 3 were strictly business 2 were Prima Donna's and marvin harrison would be in the strictly business category but he was a victim of the beginning of social media. The math seems off but if you look at the next tier down almost down are Prima Donna's Rice, Harrison and Fitz are all the expectation the the rule. If you look at the rest of the WR's in that era (and now)that were awesome for every Hines ward there were 20 you had 10 OBJ's and Dez Bryant's. most WR's are divas before they make a pro bowl. they have to be because of the position just like CB's they live on an island.

Hines Ward was a bad man. I loved watching him crack back on defensive lineman 20 yards down the field and flatten them. He was a terrific football player.

“Ja’Quain Blakely’s hands are actually a bit better than I expected them to be. I still think he’ll function mostly as a fullback and lead blocker for UT’s running backs”

What a novel concept - a lead blocker! This is going to change how the game of football is played!

VN Store

Back