Vols 'Rush Defense' = Fools gold?

I want to see some good hard play. Like the Berry vs Tebow collisions! what was boy’s name ? Jantzen Jackson laying the wood on a UF wr! Was that Kiffins 1st year and you could see the worm was turning…..need to see this kind of play . Disciplined and assignment based D bringing some violence. Maybe Byron brings heat

Reactions: LexVol71
We've seen this years Vol Rush defense described as 'elite'. Given the competition and the fact that Pitt beat the Vols through the air, is this a justified description? Further, if you look at Pitt's loss to Western Michigan, you'll see that they didn't run well against them, either.

How does Vol Nation expect the Tennessee run defense to fair against an SEC offense?
Lol…. we literally haven’t seen that from anybody with a clue.

We've seen this years Vol Rush defense described as 'elite'. Given the competition and the fact that Pitt beat the Vols through the air, is this a justified description? Further, if you look at Pitt's loss to Western Michigan, you'll see that they didn't run well against them, either.

How does Vol Nation expect the Tennessee run defense to fair against an SEC offense?
Where? I honestly haven't seen anyone (respectable) say that

Pitt's rush offense is crap and has been known to be poor for some time. The big takeaway about our early rush defense is that the defense is organized and tackling is generally good, but we won't know whether they're elite until they're tested.
Pitt sets a record against our 2016 squad…and last year’s. Better is better.

Who's we?

Pitt sets a record against our 2016 squad…and last year’s. Better is better.
This far along in the season the 2016 team was fine, not stellar, against the run. They held Florida to 3.1 yards per carry. They certainly did not keep up with that to the end of the year.

This far along in the season the 2016 team was fine, not stellar, against the run. They held Florida to 3.1 yards per carry. They certainly did not keep up with that to the end of the year.
Appy State ran at will. The Gators were particularly passcentric that season. You think Mizzou and Vandy are going to go 300+ rushing yards on us? “Fine” has a different definition from our differing eyeballs.

Appy State ran at will. The Gators were particularly passcentric that season. You think Mizzou and Vandy are going to go 300+ rushing yards on us? “Fine” has a different definition from our differing eyeballs.
"At will" was good for like 4.3 yards per carry -- not good, not a disaster. Florida ran the ball 31 times for 3.4 yards per carry. I feel like Florida is a better running team this year than they were that year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a good bit better than that.

The end of 2016, on the other hand, was the worst run defense we ever had. Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt all rushed for over 5 yards per carry. Given our lack of depth, we've got an opportunity to match it this year.

I think I heard on the radio that Florida has the 2nd best rushing attack in the country thus far. They will run it down our throats. And whenever we think we are full, they will shove even more down our throats.

Three games in…the only thing I’ve seen that could be characterized as “elite” is out ability to overthrow wide open receivers.

I agree. Florida is the best rushing team Tennessee will play this year. Huge test.

"At will" was good for like 4.3 yards per carry -- not good, not a disaster. Florida ran the ball 31 times for 3.4 yards per carry. I feel like Florida is a better running team this year than they were that year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a good bit better than that.

The end of 2016, on the other hand, was the worst run defense we ever had. Kentucky, Missouri, and Vanderbilt all rushed for over 5 yards per carry. Given our lack of depth, we've got an opportunity to match it this year.
It was there from the beginning. I didn’t want it to be true either because I was a fan of the Shoop hiring. We’re 3 deep at DL…our best in about a decade.

It was there from the beginning. I didn’t want it to be true either because I was a fan of the Shoop hiring. We’re 3 deep at DL…our best in about a decade.
I don't even remember my expectations, these are just the numbers of what actually happened. As for this year's team, you don't replace the D-Line three years in a row and expect excellence. I expect this group to regress, even if they don't make unforced errors.

Anything called Rush obviously sucks. Goes double for bands. Only hope is of UF's OL is called the Styx Line, since that would suck more.

I think the best thing that could’ve happened was that we saw the best the Gators had to offer last weekend. I don’t think they’re going to surprise us much scheme wise. They’re going to do what they do and hopefully we’ll be ready. The thing that I think will bite us eventually will be over pursuing the football and then they’ll hit us with a reverse or some sort of RB/ WR throw (like Pitt did) for a big gainer or a TD.

This game will be about who can establish their style early on. To have a chance WE HAVE TO MOVE THE CHAINS. Doesn’t mean we always have to score, but we have to keep our defense off of the field for stretches because the Gators are going to try and wear us down. It could be a one score game at the half, but that could quickly turn into 3 or 4 if they start breaking chunk plays on the ground or hit us w/ play action if the safeties have to play up a lot.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol

We have played no one. The only team that beat us just lost to Central Michigan. Whoever is saying that… don’t listen to anything they say.

Pitt's rush offense is crap and has been known to be poor for some time. The big takeaway about our early rush defense is that the defense is organized and tackling is generally good, but we won't know whether they're elite until they're tested.

This week?

I don't even remember my expectations, these are just the numbers of what actually happened. As for this year's team, you don't replace the D-Line three years in a row and expect excellence. I expect this group to regress, even if they don't make unforced errors.
We got better with the replacements. Tremblay Terry > Emerson Middleton. It’s easier to recognize when you have active memory of last year’s version.

This run defense has been described as "elite"?

By who, the same ones who describe me as a more handsome, in better shape Chris Hemsworth?

Didn’t I read that Bowling Green started a walk on freshman at center? Not sure that tells us much about our D line other than we should have had 10+ sacks vs Bowling Green.

VN Store

Back