Vols 'Rush Defense' = Fools gold?

We got better with the replacements. Tremblay Terry > Emerson Middleton. It’s easier to recognize when you have active memory of last year’s version.
You're comparing 10 SEC games against 3 much weaker opponents. Give it a little time and we'll end up about average, and that will be an achievement.

We've seen this years Vol Rush defense described as 'elite'. Given the competition and the fact that Pitt beat the Vols through the air, is this a justified description? Further, if you look at Pitt's loss to Western Michigan, you'll see that they didn't run well against them, either.
How does Vol Nation expect the Tennessee run defense to fair against an SEC offense?

unfortunately I think FL probably runs at will as the game progresses. Statistics are due to the competition we’ve played.

don’t get me wrong, love those dudes and the effort we’ve seen this far….I just don’t think we have the horses or the depth. FL run game is really strong.

not being the dreaded “Negavol” just being realistic as to how I see things…..I hope I’m really really wrong. Go Vols!

I think the run defense is ok but not elite. Problem is we only have one legit pass rusher in Tyler Baron. We need more pressure from someone else on the D LINE. If we don’t see that UF will just pick us apart. PITT QB had a lot of time to throw against our D Line.
I think Byron Young is fixing to show he can rush the passer also! GBO!!!!!

You're comparing 10 SEC games against 3 much weaker opponents. Give it a little time and we'll end up about average, and that will be an achievement.
The overall product regardless of competition. I recognize average to worse…this ain’t it.

I don't care if Pitt's rushing offense isn't good or not, for a Power 5 team to rush the ball 45 times and not get 100 yards is very good. Obviously the other two teams weren't good, but still held them very well regardless.

Clearly Florida is a different beast. I think we have to go all in on stopping the run and make them beat us through the air.

I think we will fair pretty good. Alabama showed we can throw on them so as long as our defense can stuff their run I think it'll be close 21-20 vols in a thriller! GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

Middleton had 15 total tackles and 1 sack in 9 games....Emerson a whopping 1 tackle in 8.

We are better up front.
Tackles as a stat don’t matter as much as where those tackles occur. Using it to judge DLs in a 3-4, where they’re expected to do a lot more gap coverage than tackling, is deceptive. Even so, Matthew Butler was our top tackler among DLs last year, 5th highest tackle totals on the team. He’s still our best tackler among DLs, but he’s 9th this year. Theo Jackson at safety is by far our top tackler so far. To’o To’o was our top tackler last year, which was exactly what the scheme intended. Jackson getting so many tackles doesn’t mean that opposing runners are getting to the 3rd level this year, it means we’re using him on the second level in 4-2-5 sets and he’s plugging the hole.

The overall product regardless of competition. I recognize average to worse…this ain’t it.
Wouldn’t mind if you could add context to that. Otherwise it sounds like “I’m an anonymous person on the internet and you can take my word for it!”

We've seen this years Vol Rush defense described as 'elite'. Given the competition and the fact that Pitt beat the Vols through the air, is this a justified description? Further, if you look at Pitt's loss to Western Michigan, you'll see that they didn't run well against them, either.

How does Vol Nation expect the Tennessee run defense to fair against an SEC offense?
Described by whom as elite?

Tackles as a stat don’t matter as much as where those tackles occur. Using it to judge DLs in a 3-4, where they’re expected to do a lot more gap coverage than tackling, is deceptive. Even so, Matthew Butler was our top tackler among DLs last year, 5th highest tackle totals on the team. He’s still our best tackler among DLs, but he’s 9th this year. Theo Jackson at safety is by far our top tackler so far. To’o To’o was our top tackler last year, which was exactly what the scheme intended. Jackson getting so many tackles doesn’t mean that opposing runners are getting to the 3rd level this year, it means we’re using him on the second level in 4-2-5 sets and he’s plugging the hole.

We won’t miss Middleton’s or Emerson’s tackles or gap containment, imo. I wish them well...but, it looks like both either got passed up or they didn’t want to put up the work in.

Reactions: BDP!
Bowling Green (53.0 rushing yards per game), Pittsburgh (131.3 yards per game) and Tennessee Tech. The Falcons are 129th out of 130 teams on the ground. Pitt is 96th.

7.1 yards per rush for Florida in this one. Numbers a lot like those last 3 games in 2016. Didn't look like our guys were out of position, they just got manhandled.

Reactions: 08Vol
7.1 yards per rush for Florida in this one. Numbers a lot like those last 3 games in 2016. Didn't look like our guys were out of position, they just got manhandled.
Were you out of town in the first half? As plays weren’t executed on offense. Lost opportunities and accompanying body energy is a thing. I’d take everybody on that field today over the scrubs that left.

Were you out of town in the first half? As plays weren’t executed on offense. Lost opportunities and accompanying body energy is a thing. I’d take everybody on that field today over the scrubs that left.
We are talking about rushing defense, which wasn't good in either half. There's a ceiling to the potential of this roster.

Bowling Green (53.0 rushing yards per game), Pittsburgh (131.3 yards per game) and Tennessee Tech. The Falcons are 129th out of 130 teams on the ground. Pitt is 96th.

And? If TN would have given up more than those yards, you ad others would be bashing them saying how bas they suck. But the run defense was really good in those 3 games and they still get no credit. Pathetic.

The D got tired and still generally stopped the RB. Jones ran the ball on a lot of scrambles. We don’t have good Lb or Safeties. But our DL is still doing well.

Reactions: 08Vol
And? If TN would have given up more than those yards, you ad others would be bashing them saying how bas they suck. But the run defense was really good in those 3 games and they still get no credit. Pathetic.
No, they did what they should and basically held those teams to their avg. We gave up almost 300 on the ground tonight.

The D got tired and still generally stopped the RB. Jones ran the ball on a lot of scrambles. We don’t have good Lb or Safeties. But our DL is still doing well.
280 yds rushing and 220 yds passing.

I'm not sure giving up 500 yds of offense is "doing well" but I agree the D was gassed. With the tempo offense, especially if it sputters and can't execute, the D is going to be on the field a lot.

Our offense isn't likely working well enough against SEC talent to get an early lead...... pushing the other offense into difficult situations for our defense to exploit.

This is what Heupel wants to do. If our offense can't control the tempo and get out ahead early, SEC teams will grind our defense down with their depth.

Reactions: BreatheUT

VN Store

Back