@Texas A&M L
@Vanderbilt W
South Carolina L
Ole Miss W
@LSU W
@Alabama W
Georgia W

Reactions: 2 people
My expectations, at this point, are the same as the results from last year. It will be close between us and USC as to who wins the SEC title and then I see an exit from the NCAA's in the round of 8. Some might call that a successful season, I don't.
The Holly question is a thorny one indeed. I still haven't heard anyone suggest a viable alternative as head coach. It would set the program back further if we changed head coaches with the new HC not being any more effective, or possibly even less effective, than the old one.
As far as our fans criticising the coaching staff, that comes with the territory. Holly is a big girl, she can handle it. Just as fans can criticise each other's point of view, they can praise or criticise the coaching staff. It's what fans do. To wish otherwise is not realistic. Let me add that if a fan had to be more knowledgeable overall in the art of coaching a team or be able to beat a player one on one in order to criticise said coach and player, you would almost never hear an objection no matter how poorly a team or player was performing. If those guidelines were extrapolated into everyday life there would be little if anything that one could criticise, (while that may not necessarily be a bad thing, it's just not realistic) No matter how poor the service rendered or how badly made the product purchased was, no criticising because you couldn't make that product.
Again, that's just not being realistic.
In Holly's defense, so far this season DD is just a shadow of her former self. I'm beginning to have major concerns whether she will be totally healthy this year at all. On the other hand, we should be able to run teams like Penn State out of the gym without Diamond playing a second. How many AA's does Penn State have on their roster ?
This is a true dilemma for me. I thought that Holly's coaching was improving last year when the team performed better than expected with all the injuries. Now I'm not sure if the reason that they did play so well last year was because Holly had no choice as to who to play. She was forced to go with a short rotation.
FWIW. Going forward, we should do the following, IMO.
Determine Diamond's viability for the rest of this season. It might be best to shut her down for 2 or 3 months.
I'm not sure how but somehow, someway revamp our offensive system (I'll resist a snide comment here). Our players need to be put into situations where they are the most effective. While this may be happening for Graves and Russell, the other players on the team seem to be clueless as to what they should be doing because they are almost totally ineffective when we have the ball.

Last edited:
My adjusted expections are 22-7 and 12-4 in the SEC for this years Ladyvols

Chattanooga W
Albany W
Texas L
ETSU W
Virginia Tech W
@Wichita State W
@Stanford W
@Oregon State L
Stetson W
@Missouri W
Florida W
Auburn W
@Arkansas W
@Notre Dame L
Vanderbilt W
@Kentucky L
@Miss State L
Alabama W
Arkansas W
@Texas A&M L
@Vanderbilt W
South Carolina L
Ole Miss W
@LSU W
@Alabama W
Georgia W

You don't take into consideration the fact that this team is still gelling and will only get better and better. You also don't take into account that they played three games in five days. They will lose two games tops. Pipe down.

Reactions: 1 person
I could not disagree more. The gap between the elite teams and everyone else has gotten wider in the past few years. There really is little difference between team number 5 and team number 100. They all play ugly basketball. Forget the rankings. Watch the games and ask if any of these teams pass the eye test. Just because we have loyalties towards some of these teams does not mean they are exhibiting excellence. For the past three years there has been a huge gap between Notre Dame/UConn and everyone else. Our scores are not close because everyone else is so much better; it is because we are so much worse since Pat's retirement. How can anyone scream parity if the #1 team embarrasses the #7 team (on the road) by 44 points? And then we struggle to beat two cupcakes at home by only single digits.

This. You have to chuckle when anyone mentions "parity" to excuse Holly's shortcomings when lack of parity is one of the biggest problems in the women's game. Barring a series of catastrophic injuries, it's a foregone conclusion who will win the title this season. As you mentioned, when Pat was in her prime it was not like this. If anything, parity now is worse...

My adjusted expections are 22-7 and 12-4 in the SEC for this years Ladyvols

Chattanooga W
Albany W
Texas L
ETSU W
Virginia Tech W
@Wichita State W
@Stanford W
@Oregon State L
Stetson W
@Missouri W
Florida W
Auburn W
@Arkansas W
@Notre Dame L
Vanderbilt W
@Kentucky L
@Miss State L
Alabama W
Arkansas W
@Texas A&M L
@Vanderbilt W
South Carolina L
Ole Miss W
@LSU W
@Alabama W
Georgia W

Based on what we have seen so far, this new prediction is probably reasonable. I think they only lose to OSU, ND, Stanford, and SC.

But, once Nared comes back, the team could be significantly better. DD can only get much better as well.

All teams won't get much better after mid-Dec (they are what they are by that time). If some of the same issues are there at that time, then it might be time to be a little concerned (if FF and NC are the goal).

You don't take into consideration the fact that this team is still gelling and will only get better and better. You also don't take into account that they played three games in five days. They will lose two games tops. Pipe down.

You both are right to some extent. They will probably lose 3 before the new year (Texas, Stanford, Oregon state) but the trajectory thereafter will depend on how much better Cooper, DeShields, and Russell get and to some extent Dunbar and Nared. Graves is awesome so no concerns there. It seems the others just are what they are having seen them in the program multiple years with the same type of performances. We shall see

Go put in your application at TBA. See how far that gets you.

Do you people not realize why I spend so much time mocking you? Half of you (more than half of you) present the perfect caricature of the crazy fan who always thinks he or she knows more than the coaching staff. The hyperbolic ranting, the know-it-all self-importance, the hair-pulling, glass-half-empty break-downs even after a win . . . it's glorious. I'm not serious in a lot of what I say here (though I truly am a passionate Lady Vols fan and a huge supporter of Holly), but you guys are too clueless to even realize it. Too. Much. Fun.

This is a fan message board. Not a rah rah cheer the coach at all cost board. What's a message board for? Maybe you shouldn't read the posts.

Reactions: 3 people
I will comment on any damn thing I want, and I will do so in whatever manner that pleases me. Don't dare tell me to stop doing the the one thing you claim everyone else has a right to do -- post their views. I will post what I want when I want and how I want. You can go take a flying leap.

You're in pretty grave danger of being ignored by most of us. Your silliness and personal attacks are unwarranted.

Reactions: 4 people
Expectations are the same. This is a similar start to last year. The team is trying to itself. Love the way graves and russell are playing. If we get an offensive flow we'll be okay. Ready for Nared ti return. She really matured last season. In fact my line up would be Russell/Graves/Nared/deshields/Cooper

Yours and a lot of other people's lineup, including mine. Before the season I was inclined to think Dunbar instead of Graves would be a better choice but the way Graves has been playing no way does she come out.

However, Holly is as wedded to Carter and Reynolds as she ever was. Maybe out of necessity if Deshields can't play too many minutes and/or Cooper continues to underwhelm.

Reactions: 2 people
Many, before she had played a game against a decent team, proclaimed Cooper the freshman of the year.

Cooper has a lot to learn. So far, the higher level of competition she plays against, the worse she plays.

I do expect, though, that both Diamond and Te'a will improve as the season progresses.

Diamond is the key.

You're in pretty grave danger of being ignored by most of us. Your silliness and personal attacks are unwarranted.

It would be different if I cared what people think. I don't. My posts are no sillier than those of the idiots here who fancy themselves D1 coaches.

It would be different if I cared what people think. I don't. My posts are no sillier than those of the idiots here who fancy themselves D1 coaches.

They don't fancy themselves D1 coaches. But most understand the game pretty well and root for the Lady Vols and then come here and express their opinions about their play or the coach's coaching. That is what this is for. If you think their opinion is faulty explain how. By saying, "You're not a D1 coach, you don't know what you're talking about," is not really an argument. It is just a personal attack. If you really think they don't know what they're talking about then prove it.

To those who think Holly needs to be replaced do you honestly think that's gonna happen? Over .800% winning percentage,2 elite 8s,1 sweet 16. She's brought in some good talent on her own so just because she's having 1 bad recruiting year she won't be fired lol.

They don't fancy themselves D1 coaches. But most understand the game pretty well and root for the Lady Vols and then come here and express their opinions about their play or the coach's coaching. That is what this is for. If you think their opinion is faulty explain how. By saying, "You're not a D1 coach, you don't know what you're talking about," is not really an argument. It is just a personal attack. If you really think they don't know what they're talking about then prove it.

They don't know what they are talking about first and foremost because they are NOT coaches. They are not in the huddles, they are not at practices, and they don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but it gets pretty damn ridiculous when every single time the team loses or doesn't win by enough points, the mantra of "poor coaching" or "outcoached" or "fire the coach" starts up. Few of these posters ever take anything else into consideration because they are solely focused on bashing the coaching. They have one-track minds. They do not consider that this is, overall, a young team that is learning to play together as a team, and there are going to be some missteps and miscues. They do not consider that this is very early in the season. They do not consider the fact that Diamond is still not 100%. They do not consider that this team has played three games in five days. They don't consider anything other than "poor coaching." Holly knows what she is doing, more than anyone who posts here. Let her do it.

The brutal truth is, many of these people are bitter about the fact that Pat is gone and is never, ever coming back to the game. No coach will ever be good enough. Maybe it makes it an easier pill to swallow to assume that everything negative that happens is mostly or solely the fault of the coaches. Perhaps they are thinking if they switch coaches frequently enough, one day they will find Pat's doppelganger. That's never going to happen. Ever. Holly has won 80% of her games, and her teams are going to continue winning FAR more than they lose. Be happy about that. It would be much worse with anyone else.

Last edited:
They don't know what they are talking about first and foremost because they are NOT coaches. They are not in the huddles, they are not at practices, and they don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but it gets pretty damn ridiculous when every single time the team loses or doesn't win by enough points, the mantra of "poor coaching" or "outcoached" or "fire the coach" starts up. Few of these posters ever take anything else into consideration because they are solely focused on bashing the coaching. They have one-track minds. They do not consider that this is, overall, a young team that is learning to play together as a team, and there are going to be some missteps and miscues. They do not consider that this is very early in the season. They do not consider the fact that Diamond is still not 100%. They do not consider that this team has played three games in five days. They don't consider anything other than "poor coaching." Holly knows what she is doing, more than anyone who posts here. Let her do it.

The brutal truth is, many of these people are bitter about the fact that Pat is gone and is never, ever coming back to the game. No coach will ever be good enough. Maybe it makes it an easier pill to swallow to assume that everything negative that happens is mostly or solely the fault of the coaches. Perhaps they are thinking if they switch coaches frequently enough, one day they will find Pat's doppelganger. That's never going to happen. Ever. Holly has won 80% of her games, and her teams are going to continue winning FAR more than they lose. Be happy about that. It would be much worse with anyone else.

So for instance if I look at a building I cannot comment or critique the building because I'm not an architect? Or if I see landscaping I cannot have an opinion or critique the landscaping because I'm not a landscaper? Or I can't critique or have an opinion about a newspaper article because I'm not a reporter? Or I can't critique or have an opinion about economic policy because I'm not an economist or political policy because I'm not a politician? None of us are claiming to be experts but we know enough about the game to have an opinion. Also, the buck stops with the head coach. You can't have a program where no one's responsible. The coaches are paid a lot of money to assume all that responsibility.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back