What are your expectations now?

So for instance if I look at a building I cannot comment or critique the building because I'm not an architect? Or if I see landscaping I cannot have an opinion or critique the landscaping because I'm not a landscaper? Or I can't critique or have an opinion about a newspaper article because I'm not a reporter? Or I can't critique or have an opinion about economic policy because I'm not an economist or political policy because I'm not a politician? None of us are claiming to be experts but we know enough about the game to have an opinion. Also, the buck stops with the head coach. You can't have a program where no one's responsible. The coaches are paid a lot of money to assume all that responsibility.

You are entitled to your own opinion, as am I. My opinion is when things go wrong, there are many factors that contribute to that, not just "poor coaching," which is all many here want to talk about. It is my opinion that Holly is a very, very good coach who is in an impossible situation. Until people realize that Pat is gone for good, and that she is never coming back in a different form, Holly will never have the respect she deserves from this fan base.

Reactions: 1 person
It is hard to not like Holly. I respect her. She is a great Lady Vol. Just not sure if she is the answer at basketball coach.

You are entitled to your own opinion, as am I. My opinion is when things go wrong, there are many factors that contribute to that, not just "poor coaching," which is all many here want to talk about. It is my opinion that Holly is a very, very good coach who is in an impossible situation. Until people realize that Pat is gone for good, and that she is never coming back in a different form, Holly will never have the respect she deserves from this fan base.

That's a hard thing to judge. If she had gone somewhere else and built a program and not just been given the reins to the best program ever in women's basketball it might have been different. She's never been forced to prove herself. We just don't want the program to slide into irrelevance.

More concerned about CHW post game comments. Seems as though she hasn't got a clue. I did hear the word "Process" in one of her comments. Hopefully she can fix the 3 point shot.

That's a hard thing to judge. If she had gone somewhere else and built a program and not just been given the reins to the best program ever in women's basketball it might have been different. She's never been forced to prove herself. We just don't want the program to slide into irrelevance.

Neither do I. That's why it's a good thing the current coach has a .800 record.

You act like you're her mother.

Well, I'm young enough to be her daughter, so that's hardly the case. I have zero connection to her. I simply hate the ridiculous coach bashing. If I cared enough about football, I'd feel the same about Butch Jones. I think he's getting a raw deal from a lot of entitled fans who demand miracles.

Well, I'm young enough to be her daughter, so that's hardly the case. I have zero connection to her. I simply hate the ridiculous coach bashing. If I cared enough about football, I'd feel the same about Butch Jones. I think he's getting a raw deal from a lot of entitled fans who demand miracles.

All fans are entitled. That expectation from fans is what drives winning programs. Why compete if it is not to win? College sports isn't for the "can't we just all get along crowd."

An 0.800 record really doesn't do it. She has to get to some final fours. That is what is expected at Tennessee.

And that's the ridiculous fan entitlement I'm talking about. If you fire a coach simply for not making a Final Four and make that a condition of keeping the job, then you will NEVER find anyone worthwhile who will agree to coach the Lady Vols.

For instance, barring injury to several key players, this team loses more than it wins and UT does not make the NCAA tournament.

That would be waiting way to long for most of us. You're in real trouble if you wait to that point.

And that's the ridiculous fan entitlement I'm talking about. If you fire a coach simply for not making a Final Four and make that a condition of keeping the job, then you will NEVER find anyone worthwhile who will agree to coach the Lady Vols.

I'm sorry. That is what is expected at Tennessee. That is our tradition. Holly knew that when she took the job. She said so herself.

That would be waiting way to long for most of us. You're in real trouble if you wait to that point.

You're in real trouble if you demand a coach be fired for not making a Final Four. No one worth his or her salt will ever agree to coach under such demands and conditions.

I'm sorry. That is what is expected at Tennessee. That is our tradition. Holly knew that when she took the job. She said so herself.

It's fine to want that and to expect it, but to expect a coach do it or else . . . that's never going to work for you. Again, no one who values their career will agree to work under such conditions.

We are in the presence of greatness.....Tell me Ivey, what is the proof a divine spark exists in the Simian brain? Tell me Ivey, what is the second Article of Faith? Do you come from the Forbidden zone?

Just having some fun with you Ivey girl...It's what we use to do here. Before you turned everyone's post into The Rack...

Lighten up girl.

Last edited:
It's fine to want that and to expect it, but to expect a coach do it or else . . . that's never going to work for you. Again, no one who values their career will agree to work under such conditions.

If you think about it your expectation is ridiculous. You say you are satisfied with 0.800. What about 0.799 or 0.798, 0.797. When will you not be satisfied? You're position is what is nebulous. Oh, let's just be happy that we win more than we lose. Absurd. Why compete if not to win?

More concerned about CHW post game comments. Seems as though she hasn't got a clue. I did hear the word "Process" in one of her comments. Hopefully she can fix the 3 point shot.

CHW isn't very good at interviews and that isn't going to change,CHW is doing a great job,think about it,she is winning a tad over 80% of the Lady Vols games,which isn't to shabby at all

and doing it with teams that have had a ton of injuries to key players every year,my biggest hope this year is no major injuries for a change,wouldn't that be great ?

as far as my expectations for this year,there same as all ways,make the Tournament first,then worry about what is going to happen,there is way to much basketball to be played before I even worry about the Tournament

Reactions: 3 people
CHW isn't very good at interviews and that isn't going to change,CHW is doing a great job,think about it,she is winning a tad over 80% of the Lady Vols games,which isn't to shabby at all

and doing it with teams that have had a ton of injuries to key players every year,my biggest hope this year is no major injuries for a change,wouldn't that be great ?

as far as my expectations for this year,there same as all ways,make the Tournament first,then worry about what is going to happen,there is way to much basketball to be played before I even worry about the Tournament

I agree 100%. If this team had a healthy Diamond DeShields, this crisis conversation is not happening. Let's not forget, Nared showed great promise last season. It is a bummer her sophomore campaign is delayed by a broken hand. She could also provide some extra offensive spark.

Last edited:
If you think about it your expectation is ridiculous. You say you are satisfied with 0.800. What about 0.799 or 0.798, 0.797. When will you not be satisfied? You're position is what is nebulous. Oh, let's just be happy that we win more than we lose. Absurd. Why compete if not to win?

Listen, I would love for Tennessee to reach the championship game and win it all. I'd like nothing more than that. I don't like losses any more than the next fan, but I don't have a complete meltdown when they happen because I can see beyond the moment. I think this team, if healthy, has all the pieces to make the Final Four. I will be disappointed if they don't. However, I won't demand that Holly lose her job if they only reach the Elite Eight or the Sweet Sixteen. Why? Because I know sometimes s*** happens, and that s*** isn't always the coach's fault. Injuries, for example. Or an off-shooting night. Or a player who has something going on in her life outside of basketball that affects her game performance. I hope they make it to the Final Four, and I hope they win it all. If they don't, life will go on. It's just a basketball game.

VN Store

Back