What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Appy State Edition

That kid can't be an expert. He can't even pronounce Appalachian correctly!

If you really want to make an App fan's skin crawl, pronounce our university's first name as App-a-LAY-shun instead of App-uh-LATCH-un. :)

I don't think it's a requirement for an "expert" to pronounce names correctly. Our very own radio announcer has comical difficulty pronouncing or sometimes even coming close to getting the names of some of our own players correct. It's a running joke on here, especially when we're recruiting a player with a name that could be challenging for our play by play guy. Even the CBS sportscasters which cover the SEC prove proper pronunciation is over-rated.

Good Luck to you guys this season - post Thursday. :)

Reactions: 4 people
That kid can't be an expert. He can't even pronounce Appalachian correctly!

If you really want to make an App fan's skin crawl, pronounce our university's first name as App-a-LAY-shun instead of App-uh-LATCH-un. :)

Since when is pronunciation a requirement for media positions in NCAA football? Vern can tell us...

Attachments

• tmp_2806-images(4)1978435123.jpg
    tmp_2806-images(4)1978435123.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 740
Reactions: 16 people
Thanks Chatt-townVOL, it finally feels like it is close to Football Time in Tennessee!

Last edited:
Got this from a friend, a quote which appeared in the Tennessean:

“The Vols open their season versus Appalachian State on Thursday, Sept. 1 at Neyland Stadium. After that, the schedule gets tougher…”

Them looking past us is our best chance, let's not give them reason to give us more attention.

Hope the Vols' players have the same attitude as their fans. Go ahead and look forward to your future schedule when it "gets tougher".

Understand why we don't like the implication, but their next six games after us are:

VT in Bristol
Ohio
Florida
@Georgia
@Texas A&M
Alabama

If most of that schedule isn't tougher than a home game against us, then we're in for a hell of a year.

Thanks for the leg work Chatt! Very good post.

Two issues:
#1 "The Rock" is definitely relevant this week. Remember when Fulmer tried to nickname Neyland that but was shot down by admins?

#2 As bad as I hate to say it, that UGA fan was almost perfectly accurate IMO. Only when us using the word "exceptionally" good WRs does he stray off a bit. I think we had good receivers, but w the constant injury and suspension issues, "exceptionally good" cannot describe them. He was pretty spot on @ Dobbs. More than some around here.

Anyway, interesting to hear good stuff @ their boards. No Buzz Peterson links, huh?

They should have parked a 747 inside your stadium and run up the engines full blast to simulate the noise.

It might have been close.

That's what I am most looking forward to. Never have been to a stadium with a fan level/noise of this magnitude. Excited! Can't wait for this one to start! Thursday can't come soon enough!

Wish you guys the best of luck this year. Thanks for the opportunity. :good!:

Reactions: 25 people
That must have been you and the wife making out in front of us last night at the movies. I was the one that shouted "get A Room!" :)

That's what I am most looking forward to. Never have been to a stadium with a fan level/noise of this magnitude. Excited! Can't wait for this one to start! Thursday can't come soon enough!

Wish you guys the best of luck this year. Thanks for the opportunity. :good!:

You too, I hope you have a great time and both our teams leave the field as intact and healthy as they were when they took it.

Reactions: 9 people
I've got nothing negative to say about App State. We should win quite handily, but they are a good team, with good fans. I wish them all the best the rest of the season. I enjoy watching them play.

I hope their fans enjoy the trip to Neyland and our fans treat them with respect.

Reactions: 17 people
Thanks chatt-town. I love these threads and look forward to them all season. You do a fantastic job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the post..

While I would never personally go to another fans boards, I do enjoy this thread every week, as it is interesting to see what oppfor teams are saying..

Just not interesting enough to get my lazy butt to try and look up the websites :)

-I saw a thread where they were upset about their LB's being left off the Butkus Award watch list. They named 4 (Law, Boggs, Stringer, & Gilchrist) that they claim will "wreak havoc" on defenses this year.

They are going to wreak havoc on the likes of UL Monroe (#126), Texas State (#122), New Mexico State (#120), Idaho (#119), Georgia State (#110), L Lafayette (#107), Old Dominion (#104), Troy (#102), Akron (#98).

Reactions: 1 person
This is good stuff! Thanks for the summary.

We did lose the bulk of our receiving corps to graduation. That wasn't as crucial last year since we were more run happy than in previous years. We do have one exceptional receiver in Shaedon Meadors who returns this year. He's made some incredible catches. He was injured most of last year, so we didn't get to see as much of him as we would have liked.

We've also had Tyson Fernandez switch from the D-line to the O-line this year and have had several positions shuffled in the O-line hoping for the right mix there. Our O-line last year was a key to the running attack. I'll be interested to see how well the shuffled O-line works against an exceptional Vol D-line.

Marcus Cox leads what was a strong running attack last year. He's a senior this year and will be backed up by Jalin Moore and Terrence Upshaw who were both solid contributors last year.

We're likely to have several freshmen starting on Thursday. One I'm particularly interested to see is DB Clifton Duck. Reports out of camp indicate he's been exceptional which is good news with Latrell Gibbs ineligibility.

I was at a booster club gathering on Friday. Of course, there was much talk of the upcoming game. I had to laugh when our AD said he was just about tired of hearing Rocky Top blaring through the speakers in the stadium. It sounds like our coaches have done what they can to get the guys ready for Neyland's less than friendly confines.

See you in Knoxville!

Thanks for posting here. You guys have a great fanbase, very knowledgable and realistic.

If you want to really see how much pride you should have in your fans, go surf some of our rivals' boards. Just be advised that every Tennessee win against Georgia is a fluke (as is any team's win against Georgia), and most Florida fans think Tim Tebow is still on the roster.

It's GAME WEEK!!!! The long offseason is behind us. After months and months of hype videos, trash-talking Florida players, analysts that think we're great one week and horribly overrated the next, and awaiting an open practice date that never came, we have finally arrived. Now it's time to talk some message boards.

Appy State fans have plenty to say. I have to admit, I was quite impressed with the Mountaineer fanbase. They know football. I saw plenty of discussion on schemes, Shoop's successful history, our choke-jobs last year, and their performance against the P5. They get just as frustrated as anyone else when the infamous Michigan game gets brought up, and they are excited about taking the field this year and seeing what they can accomplish. They play UT and Miami this year, both are great opportunities to move their program in the right direction.

Without further ado, here's what the Mountaineer faithful are saying about Thursday night's matchup in Neyland:

-Let's start with a few who think they can win. They don't make up the majority, but their arguments are entertaining:

-I am seeing a ton of questions about their WR Corp. Seems they lost a lot from 2015. They consistently refer to their "brand new group of receivers."

-None of us probably would have bothered to actually do the research on this, so it was good to come across it:

(I see someone actually did end up making a thread about this)

-They got really excited because Bleacher Report "pulled a Bleacher Report" and wrote this article (summary: BR says they will be a Top 25 team in the next 10 years):
Predicting the Top 25 College Football Programs of the Next 10 Years | Bleacher Report

-Not relevant to this game, but they nickname their stadium "The Rock"

-I saw a thread where they were upset about their LB's being left off the Butkus Award watch list. They named 4 (Law, Boggs, Stringer, & Gilchrist) that they claim will "wreak havoc" on defenses this year.

-One of their best defensive players, Corner Latrell Gibbs, has been ruled ineligible for the season. They are calling this a major blow.

-Decent preview of the game from one of their posters:

-One of their boards has a Georgia fan posting on it, running his mouth about UT. He doesn't seem to have much respect for Dobbs, even after he shredded their defense last year:

-They play us and Miami this year and they believe the will split the two games. Although to be fair, the majority think they split with a Miami victory.

-I was very impressed with how well they follow recruiting. They have as many threads on commits/prospects as they do the team itself.

-Naturally those that believe they can win believe so in hopes that we will be overlooking them, thinking ahead to Bristol. I did see a great response that basically said "I don't think they're overlooking us, a team they're not scared of, just because the following week they are playing another team they're not scared of."

-Much respect for Butch Jones' preparation:

-This is a reply to a Vol fan who said we would primarily run...... I like this guy:

-General score predictions have us winning by 14-21

Should be a fun time and hopefully a great start to a potential Championship season!! Let's get loud in Neyland for our home opener and strike fear into the hearts of any team that plays here.

GBO!!!!

I think people look at that Bowling Green game entirely too much last year. That Bowling Green team had a darn good offense, they moved on everybody they played and put up points. We were also without our secondary coach, don't care what anybody says that will make a difference in adjustments. At the end of the season that Bowling Green game was a solid W. I know that's not what the post was about but felt the need to get that off my chest.

All that being said, I don't think it's going to be a pushover win Thursday but the "Appalachian State beat Michigan, they can beat Tennessee" crowd should not hold their breathe. It's not going to happen.

Reactions: 3 people
It's GAME WEEK!!!! The long offseason is behind us. After months and months of hype videos, trash-talking Florida players, analysts that think we're great one week and horribly overrated the next, and awaiting an open practice date that never came, we have finally arrived. Now it's time to talk some message boards.

Appy State fans have plenty to say. I have to admit, I was quite impressed with the Mountaineer fanbase. They know football. I saw plenty of discussion on schemes, Shoop's successful history, our choke-jobs last year, and their performance against the P5. They get just as frustrated as anyone else when the infamous Michigan game gets brought up, and they are excited about taking the field this year and seeing what they can accomplish. They play UT and Miami this year, both are great opportunities to move their program in the right direction.

Without further ado, here's what the Mountaineer faithful are saying about Thursday night's matchup in Neyland:

-Let's start with a few who think they can win. They don't make up the majority, but their arguments are entertaining:

-I am seeing a ton of questions about their WR Corp. Seems they lost a lot from 2015. They consistently refer to their "brand new group of receivers."

-None of us probably would have bothered to actually do the research on this, so it was good to come across it:

(I see someone actually did end up making a thread about this)

-They got really excited because Bleacher Report "pulled a Bleacher Report" and wrote this article (summary: BR says they will be a Top 25 team in the next 10 years):
Predicting the Top 25 College Football Programs of the Next 10 Years | Bleacher Report

-Not relevant to this game, but they nickname their stadium "The Rock"

-One of their best defensive players, Corner Latrell Gibbs, has been ruled ineligible for the season. They are calling this a major blow.

-Decent preview of the game from one of their posters:

-One of their boards has a Georgia fan posting on it, running his mouth about UT. He doesn't seem to have much respect for Dobbs, even after he shredded their defense last year:

-They play us and Miami this year and they believe the will split the two games. Although to be fair, the majority think they split with a Miami victory.

-I was very impressed with how well they follow recruiting. They have as many threads on commits/prospects as they do the team itself.

-Naturally those that believe they can win believe so in hopes that we will be overlooking them, thinking ahead to Bristol. I did see a great response that basically said "I don't think they're overlooking us, a team they're not scared of, just because the following week they are playing another team they're not scared of."

-Much respect for Butch Jones' preparation:

-This is a reply to a Vol fan who said we would primarily run...... I like this guy:

-General score predictions have us winning by 14-21

Should be a fun time and hopefully a great start to a potential Championship season!! Let's get loud in Neyland for our home opener and strike fear into the hearts of any team that plays here.

GBO!!!!

I would like to hear what they say at halftime when they're down by 21 and after the game when they lose by 40+.

Here are a few pre game quotes I'm predicting they will say afterwards.
Dobbs is better than we thought.
Dang Hurd and Kamara are awesome.
OMG on their defense.
Cam Sutton is unbelievable. I ask coach to quit punting to him.
1 kick off and EB took it to the house!
I wonder if their punter was as good as advertised?

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 6 people
Losing experienced WR's could hurt their ability to run on the perimeter.... I don't think they will make a living running between the tackles.

Wow Chat townVOL great job!...And thanks for doing these every week...Very informative.

Great OP, Thanks!!!

I love Appy S. against anyone but us and they have to go down...and hard, but hope they win the rest of their games.

Can't hardly wait...

Thanks OP. I haven't been on VN all summer but since it's game week I figured you would have this thread up. So I had to come back and check it out. It's my favorite thread on VN and you do a great job with it. I also like the girls of thread but I haven't gotten to that one yet.

I don't see the "possible upset" from looking at this deeper. From watching Marcus Cox's rushes against Clemson, he forced 3 missed tackles. Only had 6 total yards in App State's first 9 drives before busting two runs for 15 yards and 25 yards when the game was 31-0 at halftime. To me, I see a poor man's Justin Jackson from Northwestern. He did finish the second half well against the 2s and 3s, ending with 25 carries for 103 yards. In the Wyoming game he showed he will find the lane if its there, but he doesn't show a knack for breaking tackles in space or making guys miss in the hole. Taylor Lamb went 9/28 from 95 yards, 1 TD, and 3 INTs. Their OL was dominated by Shaq Lawson from what I can tell. On defense, only 1 player outweighs Hurd and he's the NT. That's not a recipe for success when it comes to beating an SEC rushing attack. Generally a 3-4 DE is going to be about Barnett's size at 6'4 260, but App State has both ends pegged at 240 lbs. All four LBs are at 235 lbs max as compared to the typical 240-250 lbs of an Alabama LB. I just don't think Appy State has the size or speed to keep up with the Vols.

VN Store

Back