What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Appy State Edition

"-I saw a thread where they were upset about their LB's being left off the Butkus Award watch list. They named 4 (Law, Boggs, Stringer, & Gilchrist) that they claim will "wreak havoc" on defenses this year."

If they think linebackers wreak havoc on defenses, then they may not be as up on football knowledge as the rest of us. Although Law is a great linebacker name, leaves room for lots of cool quotes.

I've got nothing negative to say about App State. We should win quite handily, but they are a good team, with good fans. I wish them all the best the rest of the season. I enjoy watching them play.

I hope their fans enjoy the trip to Neyland and our fans treat them with respect.

Thank you for posting the most level headed comment. You have confidence in UT while at the same time showing respect for App's program. Can you pass your attitude around the rest of this thread?

Thank you for posting the most level headed comment. You have confidence in UT while at the same time showing respect for App's program. Can you pass your attitude around the rest of this thread?

I've seen lots of respect for App St on VN over the past several weeks. You just seem to be a bit over-sensitive. Take a couple of Pamprin and chillax a little.

Reactions: 6 people
I've seen lots of respect for App St on VN over the past several weeks. You just seem to be a bit over-sensitive. Take a couple of Pamprin and chillax a little.

He should go back and see the way Utah St was treated by this board, granted Utah talked a lot of smack and got it thrown back at them, but while I've seen some dismissive posts about Appy St (there is a talent disparity so that is expected) most have been welcoming of their fans and program. Anyway, Appy St is being treated like long lost family compared to some of the fan bases that have stayed here before a non-conf game.

Reactions: 2 people
He should go back and see the way Utah St was treated by this board, granted Utah talked a lot of smack and got it thrown back at them, but while I've seen some dismissive posts about Appy St (there is a talent disparity so that is expected) most have been welcoming of their fans and program. Anyway, Appy St is being treated like long lost family compared to some of the fan bases that have stayed here before a non-conf game.

It's like Seatle expects a "safe space" set up on this forum where we ignore the talent disparity, ignore the fact that they're fresh up from battling UTC every year for the Southern league bragging rights, and wring our hands about whether we can hang with lesser talent.

We have shown a lot of respect, and I suspect the other, more realistic and less sensitive App St fans here would agree. It is not disrespectful to point out the realities while still wishing the best for the visiting team and fans.

We sincerely hope you guys have a great trip and a safe trip home. If we are wrong, and you pull off a Michigan-level upset against us, we'll be right here to hear the trash-talk (from you and every last one of our SEC rivals). If it goes as planned, we'll be here to highlight the positives of your game and wish you well going into your conference play.

Here's the reality: if you guys win, it is an epic-level upset that will ripple through college football for a decade and likely put our coaches on a hot-seat. If we win, it's business as usual. Our coaches will get little credit and yours will get little blame. With that on the table, how should we discuss the game Thursday night?

Reactions: 3 people

In many ways, App State IS long lost family for UT. Long ago (1780's) in a world not so very far away, North Carolina ceded to congress its most western land to help pay for debts run up in the war for American independence. The newly formed State of Franklin stretched from the Appalachian mountains to the Mississippi river though the effective western edge was just beyond the current town of Knoxville. Franklin was actually supposed to become the 14th state.

IIRC, Greeneville was the capital. There's still a State of Franklin road in Johnson City.

Eventually, the ill-fated State of Franklin was absorbed into Tennessee rather than remaining part of North Carolina. White's Fort (now Knoxville) was on the western edge of the State of Franklin.

Enough family history! Let's play football!

Reactions: 9 people
AppFan, thanks for coming into our home and not being a trash talking dolt like a lot of rival fans before you have done. We appreciate the humility and hope for the best season you can win save the game on Thursday.

Stick around afterwards, it's always nice to have a reasonable perspective from the other side.

Reactions: 6 people
It's like Seatle expects a "safe space" set up on this forum where we ignore the talent disparity, ignore the fact that they're fresh up from battling UTC every year for the Southern league bragging rights, and wring our hands about whether we can hang with lesser talent.

We have shown a lot of respect, and I suspect the other, more realistic and less sensitive App St fans here would agree. It is not disrespectful to point out the realities while still wishing the best for the visiting team and fans.

We sincerely hope you guys have a great trip and a safe trip home. If we are wrong, and you pull off a Michigan-level upset against us, we'll be right here to hear the trash-talk (from you and every last one of our SEC rivals). If it goes as planned, we'll be here to highlight the positives of your game and wish you well going into your conference play.

Here's the reality: if you guys win, it is an epic-level upset that will ripple through college football for a decade and likely put our coaches on a hot-seat. If we win, it's business as usual. Our coaches will get little credit and yours will get little blame. With that on the table, how should we discuss the game Thursday night?

I've found nothing but good football conversation here which is why I came in the first place. I wanted to learn more about UT football before the game.

Thanks to all of you for the gracious welcome and good natured ribbing.

See you in Neyland! You'll be able to spot me I'm sure ... I'll be the one in black sitting in Z13 down in the corner. :)

Reactions: 4 people
In many ways, App State IS long lost family for UT. Long ago (1780's) in a world not so very far away, North Carolina ceded to congress its most western land to help pay for debts run up in the war for American independence. The newly formed State of Franklin stretched from the Appalachian mountains to the Mississippi river though the effective western edge was just beyond the current town of Knoxville. Franklin was actually supposed to become the 14th state.

IIRC, Greeneville was the capital. There's still a State of Franklin road in Johnson City.

Eventually, the ill-fated State of Franklin was absorbed into Tennessee rather than remaining part of North Carolina. White's Fort (now Knoxville) was on the western edge of the State of Franklin.

Hey, we're all part of the same mountain range. Us mountain folk have to stick together. We'll watch for the Revenuers from our end if you will from yours. :)

Reactions: 4 people
I've found nothing but good football conversation here which is why I came in the first place. I wanted to learn more about UT football before the game.

Thanks to all of you for the gracious welcome and good natured ribbing.

See you in Neyland! You'll be able to spot me I'm sure ... I'll be the one in black sitting in Z13 down in the corner. :)

I agree with Grand. It would be nice to chat about the game and get an outside perspective. And I'll add that we'd love you to stick around a while and become an honorary part of VolNation for a long time to come. You don't have to cheer the Vols, just rep App St and add your flavor to the overall, ongoing discussions.

And why do I somehow feel like an ever better seat number would have been Z28? Strange...

Again. Who's won more championships over the last 10 years? It's not Tennessee. these are the types of posts that give fan bases a bad rep. Why disparage the other team?

This is a UT board filled with RABID UT fans..... and if someone elected you sheriff they forgot to send me a ballot.

If you don't like the good spirited rough housing that goes on here.... you can leave the very same way you came. But either get over yourself and join in or get ready to take a lot more lumps.

AppFan, thanks for coming into our home and not being a trash talking dolt like a lot of rival fans before you have done. We appreciate the humility and hope for the best season you can win save the game on Thursday.

Stick around afterwards, it's always nice to have a reasonable perspective from the other side.

Will do. Respect and politeness used to be part of our culture in the South. I'd like to think they still are and have seen both from most folks here.

I can't wait for Thursday's game. Shoot, I even woke up this morning humming "Rocky Top" (yes, I'm old enough to remember when the song first came out and when UT adopted it several years later).

Reactions: 1 person
Hey, we're all part of the same mountain range. Us mountain folk have to stick together. We'll watch for the Revenuers from our end if you will from yours. :)

My favorite verse of "Rocky Top" was always the one with the line:

... Strangers ain't come down from Rocky Top. Reckon they never will!

Will do. Respect and politeness used to be part of our culture in the South. I'd like to think they still are and have seen both from most folks here.

I can't wait for Thursday's game. Shoot, I even woke up this morning humming "Rocky Top" (yes, I'm old enough to remember when the song first came out and when UT adopted it several years later).

Hope you have a good experience, in a losing kind of way 😁. Safe travels!

You are from NC correct?

I played at Swain County HS years ago. We were never very respectful or polite when it came to football. In those days, Franklin and Andrews won the sportsmanship trophies.... not many games but they were nice about getting whipped.

But like everyone else has said, welcome. I hope you'll stick around and let UT be your 2nd team. This is a really good board and in spite of the combativeness at times.... you'll get great info here and usually earlier than anywhere else.

You are from NC correct?

I played at Swain County HS years ago. We were never very respectful or polite when it came to football. In those days, Franklin and Andrews won the sportsmanship trophies.... not many games but they were nice about getting whipped.

But like everyone else has said, welcome. I hope you'll stick around and let UT be your 2nd team. This is a really good board and in spite of the combativeness at times.... you'll get great info here and usually earlier than anywhere else.

Was Rod White one of the coaches when you were at Swain?

Again. Who's won more championships over the last 10 years? It's not Tennessee. these are the types of posts that give fan bases a bad rep. Why disparage the other team?

I guess we're going to lose you. :cray:

Love it, AppFan, simply love it!

I spent 11 of my 26 years on active duty stationed in North Carolina (3 in Wilmington and 8 at Ft Bragg, once you're airborne you keep getting pulled back, heh). I love North Carolina like a second home. It's truly a beautiful state. And yes, I too think of Tennessee (the entire state, not just the mountainous east that made up Franklin for a brief time) as the "child" of the Tarheel state.

That's what we are: the child of NC, and the father of Texas. That's how Tennessee fits in the US state family tree. Proudly so.

Good to have you here with us. Always welcome.

Go Vols!

Love it, AppFan, simply love it!

I spent 11 of my 26 years on active duty stationed in North Carolina (3 in Wilmington and 8 at Ft Bragg, once you're airborne you keep getting pulled back, heh). I love North Carolina like a second home. It's truly a beautiful state. And yes, I too think of Tennessee (the entire state, not just the mountainous east that made up Franklin for a brief time) as the "child" of the Tarheel state.

That's what we are: the child of NC, and the father of Texas. That's how Tennessee fits in the US state family tree. Proudly so.

Good to have you here with us. Always welcome.

Go Vols!

Greetings from Wilmington and sunny Carolina Beach! Thanks for your service for our country JP.

This is good stuff! Thanks for the summary.

We did lose the bulk of our receiving corps to graduation. That wasn't as crucial last year since we were more run happy than in previous years. We do have one exceptional receiver in Shaedon Meadors who returns this year. He's made some incredible catches. He was injured most of last year, so we didn't get to see as much of him as we would have liked.

We've also had Tyson Fernandez switch from the D-line to the O-line this year and have had several positions shuffled in the O-line hoping for the right mix there. Our O-line last year was a key to the running attack. I'll be interested to see how well the shuffled O-line works against an exceptional Vol D-line.

Marcus Cox leads what was a strong running attack last year. He's a senior this year and will be backed up by Jalin Moore and Terrence Upshaw who were both solid contributors last year.

We're likely to have several freshmen starting on Thursday. One I'm particularly interested to see is DB Clifton Duck. Reports out of camp indicate he's been exceptional which is good news with Latrell Gibbs ineligibility.

I was at a booster club gathering on Friday. Of course, there was much talk of the upcoming game. I had to laugh when our AD said he was just about tired of hearing Rocky Top blaring through the speakers in the stadium. It sounds like our coaches have done what they can to get the guys ready for Neyland's less than friendly confines.

See you in Knoxville!

You sir represent your school with Class. I hope you have a great and memorable time in Knoxville enjoying the most impressive college football game day experience..bar none. (Other than the game score of course for you ) Arrive early and soak it in..head down to the river and have a cool one on the deck at Calhouns with the Vol Navy and stadium in view. Welcome to Knoxville

Reactions: 7 people
Greetings from Wilmington and sunny Carolina Beach! Thanks for your service for our country JP.

Oh, man, Erwin, I do envy you the beauty of coastal Carolina, most especially the charm of Wilmington, Carolina Beach, and the other communities in the area. Hope that tropical depression didn't dump too much rain on you guys last night and this morning. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back