Where did Dave Hooker go?

I missed that, but I heard them get into a similar situation a week or so ago. That may have been the finial straw. I find it hard to believe that no one this forum heard anything about his departure, unless they really didn't mention much about it. FWIW, I sort-of liked listening to the guy, because I really can't take much of Cowboy Joe. I guess it was a lesser-of-two evils kind of thing...
I listen on the way home every day (4:30 to 4:45pm) and I noticed he wasn't on but they never said where he was. I just figured he was on vacation or something and had missed them saying it.

My perception is that he refused to show any partiality at all to UT. Maybe he thought that's what he was supposed to do. But he would make fun of the Vols in a way that really pissed me off.

I listen on the way home every day (4:30 to 4:45pm) and I noticed he wasn't on but they never said where he was. I just figured he was on vacation or something and had missed them saying it.

My perception is that he refused to show any partiality at all to UT. Maybe he thought that's what he was supposed to do. But he would make fun of the Vols in a way that really pissed me off.
Agreed. I thought he was a pompous jerk. I'm glad he's gone. Maybe I'll tune in again.

Reactions: vollygirl
Hearing that Dave Hooker and Holly Warlick eloped.

They departed this morning for a 2-month cruise in the Baltic Sea.

I know a lady at the airport who can see things.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I listened on the way to an appointment this afternoon and it reminded me of something else.

There are a couple of guys that call in that are a little different than other callers. Joe and Quake both do a fantastic job of interacting with them. It's a really sweet thing to listen to. Hooker never was able to do it.

Reactions: coffeecountyvol
What is Hooker's history? What'd he do before he came to SportTalk? Any ties to Chattanooga or was he a Knoxville guy?

I firmly believe most hookers go where the money is....

Go VOLS!!!!

No idea. I quit listening to WGOW. SportTalk was okay at first with him but then got annoying. Then the rest of their shows were just too political. I just quit listening all together and haven’t noticed anything different. 😝
I was oblivious to WGOW until a couple of years ago for some reason despite living here for a long time. I guess that's why I did not know the Dr. B Sportstalk vs the Dave Hooker variety.

I never realized that I was OK with Styles until he was replaced by Joyce, so I know what you mean about political, I try really hard to avoid political and find myself listening much less these days.

I was oblivious to WGOW until a couple of years ago for some reason despite living here for a long time. I guess that's why I did not know the Dr. B Sportstalk vs the Dave Hooker variety.

I never realized that I was OK with Styles until he was replaced by Joyce, so I know what you mean about political, I try really hard to avoid political and find myself listening much less these days.

I hate Joyce. And Styles went cuckoo on some guy. Always felt like his local “fame” was eventually gonna go to his head. He just seemed like a loose cannon. Dr. B was a really good guy and a total homer. Just fun to listen to. Sadly Missed.

I know many may know him from the Knoxville market, but he has been on the air here in Chattanooga for about 2.5 years until a couple of weeks ago on WGOW. He usually had good somewhat insider info and also had a good line up of well known callers on the program.

Anyone have a clue?
90 percent of Dave Hooker's recruiting articles and info were just dead-ass wrong. Sorry.

I heard a rumor (take it for what it's worth) that he is gone from the station due to budget cuts by the home office.

I really hate it for him as he relocated to Chattanooga from Knoxville for the job and I enjoyed the people that he was able to get to call in to the show every week. I really liked him much more than I do Joe. I wonder if the show is in any danger of being done away with.

I heard a rumor (take it for what it's worth) that he is gone from the station due to budget cuts by the home office.

I really hate it for him as he relocated to Chattanooga from Knoxville for the job and I enjoyed the people that he was able to get to call in to the show every week. I really liked him much more than I do Joe. I wonder if the show is in any danger of being done away with.

I'm sure ratings took a big dip after Gary Haskew died. I know I listen to it a fraction of the time that I used to.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC 83
I am glad he is off SDS now. I visit every day to keep up with news around the league. I never once clicked on a article that he had written. I never been a media basher, but if it’s 2 that I can’t stand it’s Hooker and John Adams. Everyone else covering the Vols on radio or writers I tend to to give a fair shot at listening or reading.

I am glad he is off SDS now. I visit every day to keep up with news around the league. I never once clicked on a article that he had written. I never been a media basher, but if it’s 2 that I can’t stand it’s Hooker and John Adams. Everyone else covering the Vols on radio or writers I tend to to give a fair shot at listening or reading.
If the media is a cesspit, sports media is the sphincter through which it drains into the sewer.

VN Store

Back