Which SEC teams have a better assistant coaching staff than Tennessee?

LSU, Bama, UGA, UF. This staff is much better than last year (a first time HC plus 2 coordinators without P5 coordinating experience was a recipe for disaster) but I'm not sure we improved enough to go from a staff that oversaw the Mizzou and Vandy games to being better than the staffs of 4 Top 10 teams...
Bama and UGA don’t have the same staffs.

Which SEC Teams have a better Staff than us?

Probably all the teams that won alot more games than us!!

Just kidding don't Taze me Bro!
;)

Reactions: Jaws
Georgia, Georgia, I got Georgia on my mind. And I absolutely hate that. Should have after Pittman harder.
The only thing he had on Friend was recruiting and that’s not a runaway anymore.

Interesting question. Players make the coaches look better. Thing about Bama is I think the yearly plucking of Saban assistants is really what got them beat vs Clemson. You've got a guy like Venerables, who, with Dabo is a fixture @ Clemson, and Bama is in the fight of their lives, and just think eventually a Saban assistant isn't going to be up to the task like Kiffin or Pruitt or Smart. Cohesiveness matters, and think this is where the field can catch up vs Bama and UGA, who have been gutted the last couple years in their coordinators and position coaches. Long way to get to my answer, but I think UT is as good as any. Even Bama and UGA folks can see this staff is legit. Saban will be fine, i think...but let one of those new coordinators get going sideways as UGA, and it's going to be fun to watch...no way they're as cohesive in 2019, but maybe they learned what not to do on 4th and 11...

Maybe. But, this is common at Bama and the end of each season. People come calling for his assistants. He'll get #7 soon.

How does one rate and compare staffs,, Wins and Losses? Player development? Xs and Os? getting the most of the least?? just curious

I like our staff at UF. They may not be necessarily "better" than UT, but they have largely been in the same system and I like the continuity for a change. On DB we actually upgraded to Torian Gray. On DL David Turner seems to be a good developer of talent. Don't know about his recruiting ability but it's not like Sunseri was pulling 5 stars. In fact our worst recruited position right now is DT. Hevesy did a tremendous job on OL last season. Grantham decided to spurn the Bengals and stick around. We don't have an OC because Mullen makes the offensive calls.

I honestly think UF is in the best shape as far as assistants / staff in the East, and don't think we are far behind UGA. At least we don't need an OC as long as Mullen is good with calling plays, and that is a big advantage. The buck stops with Mullen and he will admit it when his calls are subpar, like he did last season after the UGA game.

Seriously though, is there any team in the nation with a heavier assistant coaching staff than Tennessee?

Reactions: alaVOL
After this off-season, you can certainly argue we're in contention for that honor. But there are others that could make the case as well. Dan Mullen has a pretty incredible staff at Florida. Obviously, there's Saban; and while he lost a lot of good coaches this offseason, he did hire Steve Sarkisian as OC.

But it certainly feels nice that we went out and got some top-notch assistants for once. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Going the Co-DC route promoting their LB’s coaches...Lanning and Schumann, who moonlight as an architectural firm.

I'm trying not to pre-judge, but Lanning as DC was a questionable hire. Kirby will obviously have a lot of input, but that's not the same as having a coordinator with a head full of knowledge and experience.

I like our staff at UF. They may not be necessarily "better" than UT, but I honestly think UF is in the best shape as far as assistants / staff in the East, and don't think we are far behind UGA.

Your staff is not really better than ours, but is in better shape than anyone's in the East and not far behind Georgia? Georgia not in the East? Are you talking about "shape" as in physical shape?

Why don't you just say what you mean?

We have a pretty good one. But other schools have coaches that aren't Will Friend so who knows.

I like our staff at A&M. Elko (DC) was nails last year - we led the SEC in rushing defense after sucking previously. Jimbo was pretty good at running the offense (he called the plays). We had the leading rusher in the SEC after preciously sucking in that department as well. Also really good recruiters. Sucks that we lost Tim Brewster to North Carolina, but Jimbo has (so far) always seemed to have someone in mind for assistants that leave.

TN seems to have assembled a great coaching group who are excellent recruiters, but time (and wins and losses) will tell.

Parameters? Biggest measuring stick normally is how many other teams want your coaches. In college, recruiting and recruiting ability have to be factored yet you have teams like Missouri, SC, and Vandy get more out of their players. Going with these parameters, LSU, Bama, UGA would rank higher. Tn assistants are basically the 2014 UGA coaching staff, Pruitt has pretty much only hired coaches he knows. Fla/SC/A&M would be at least even or close to it, SEC pays coaches way more than any other conference and it shows in the coaching ranks. UT would be second in ACC, B12 (if not 1st), Top 3/4 in B10, 1/2/3 in the Pac12? Washington and now Oregon have accumulated good staffs. LOVE the LSU assistants especially on D and they have upgraded the O.

I do like the combo of Chaney (seasoned playcaller) vs Ansley (never called plays). Pruitt can oversee Ansley as he grooms him and let Chaney do his thing, Chaney will need reminded to run every now and then tho if left unattended lol.

VN Store

Back