Which SEC teams have a better assistant coaching staff than Tennessee?

Florida’s roster, whatever stars you want to give them, has done fairly well in recent decades against your team. If y’all are pinning your hopes on Mullen’s inability to bring in elite talent at Florida, good luck with that.

My point of posting in this thread was in response to the idea that UT has the best coaching staff in the SEC. I simply said there’s no way Florida would trade staffs with UT, particularly at the head coach spot. And I also doubt most other teams in the SEC would. I don’t even think Kentucky or Vandy would trade head coaches with you at this point. That point stands.

First of all, you were talking about Mullen dethroning Saban, not beating us.

Blah blah blah your opinion blah blah blah.

First of all, you were talking about Mullen dethroning Saban, not beating us.

Blah blah blah your opinion blah blah blah.

I talked about several things, that was a small part. You have a short memory. Before Saban went on this mega-dynasty, UF was in the middle of a mini-dynasty. They had won 2 national titles in 3 years and had a guy named Cam Newton poised to replace Tim Tebow for two more years. Urban Meyer wigged-out and screwed all that up. Enter Saban and Alabama. They haven’t stopped kicking the crap out of everyone since then. The fall of Florida led to their dominance. When you throw in Spurrier’s run, you had a 19-year stretch where UF won 9 SEC titles, played for 4 national titles and won 3. Imagine had there been a playoff during the Spurrier and Meyer eras, Florida would have likely won 2-3 more national titles, at least.

So again, unlike Georgia, openly taking about being the “Bama of the East,” Florida isn’t interested in that. We’re trying to be Florida again.

Other than Ansley, Rocker, Martin, and Chaney I don't think our assistants are that great. We are surely behind almost everyone in the SEC at the OL position. The window of opportunity is closing for our RB coach and DL coach to prove themselves at their current positions, but I do think Johnson did well with the WRs last year. Our QB coach is also unproven. I think our staff has a lot of potential, but the proof is in the pudding. If we don't get better at the LOS, how can anyone say we've got a top-notch assistant staff? Games are won and lost at the LOS...

I talked about several things, that was a small part. You have a short memory. Before Saban went on this mega-dynasty, UF was in the middle of a mini-dynasty. They had won 2 national titles in 3 years and had a guy named Cam Newton poised to replace Tim Tebow for two more years. Urban Meyer wigged-out and screwed all that up. Enter Saban and Alabama. They haven’t stopped kicking the crap out of everyone since then. The fall of Florida led to their dominance. When you throw in Spurrier’s run, you had a 19-year stretch where UF won 9 SEC titles, played for 4 national titles and won 3. Imagine had there been a playoff during the Spurrier and Meyer eras, Florida would have likely won 2-3 more national titles, at least.

So again, unlike Georgia, openly taking about being the “Bama of the East,” Florida isn’t interested in that. We’re trying to be Florida again.

You talk like my girlfriend who can relate and unrelate stuff as per her convenience which only makes sense to her. No point arguing... Mullen should fall flat so I don't have to hear Gators running their mouth.

Friend has not been very good anywhere he was. His units gave up a ton of sacks at GA and didn't run well

According to Caleb Calhoun, "By the way, that is part of a trend for Friend as an offensive line coach. Before becoming offensive coordinator under Mike Bobo with the Colorado State Rams, he coached the Georgia Bulldogs’ offensive line from 2011 to 2014. In three of those four years, the Dawgs allowed over 20 sacks. They had 35 one year. The rushing attack averaged under five yards a carry for three of the four years he was there as well. Because of all that, he’s clearly still the worst coach on this staff."

Tennessee football: Ranking all 10 assistant coaches on Vols 2019 staff

FYP ;)

Tl;dr

Seriously, I didn't read it.

I think its funny you're here on VN and just told us before we start with the Best staff business, we might want to win a bowl first.

Then, you tell us Mullen is going to dethrone Nick Saban. Haha, you might want to beat Kentucky first.

I like our staff better than yours. I think our staff is better than yours. The question as I understood it, asked about assistants, not HC's. Yours did a better job this last year, congratulations, but I'm not blind, you don't have to run over here and tell me he did, especially on a daily basis.

Now, that business about our staff being better than yours? That's MY opinion and opinions are like orgasms, mine is most important and I don't care if you have one.

Edit: Actually the thread asks which teams have a better assistant staff than Tennessee and several Vol fans have named other teams. So what are you even whining about?

Last edited:
Reactions: NashVol4life
Tl;Dr; dgaf

Seriously, I didn't read it.

I think its funny you're here on VN and just told us before we start with the Best staff business, we might want to win a bowl first.

Then, you tell us Mullen is going to dethrone Nick Saban. Haha, you might want to beat Kentucky first.

I like our staff better than yours. I think our staff is better than yours. The question as I understood it, asked about assistants, not HC's. Yours did a better job this last year, congratulations, but I'm not blind, you don't have to run over here and tell me he did, especially on a daily basis.

Now, that business about our staff being better than yours? That's MY opinion and opinions are like orgasms, mine is most important and I don't care if you have one.

That’s a solid synopsis for someone who didn’t read any of it. 😂

All the best, man. You’re good with your staff, I’m good with mine. Let’s get after it again in September and catch back up afterwards. At this point, and much can change, but I like UF in a similar score to last year.

All the best, man. You’re good with your staff, I’m good with mine. Let’s get after it again in September and catch back up afterwards. At this point, and much can change, but I like UF in a similar score to last year.

Did you read my edit I just added?

Sorry, I didn't read this one either before I responded. Obviously if it was a solid synopsis, it was just more of the same crap I've already read.

Other than Ansley, Rocker, Martin, and Chaney I don't think our assistants are that great. We are surely behind almost everyone in the SEC at the OL position. The window of opportunity is closing for our RB coach and DL coach to prove themselves at their current positions, but I do think Johnson did well with the WRs last year. Our QB coach is also unproven. I think our staff has a lot of potential, but the proof is in the pudding. If we don't get better at the LOS, how can anyone say we've got a top-notch assistant staff? Games are won and lost at the LOS...
And THOSE are won by PLAYERS. Pittman didn’t make that Rhode Island grad transfer an All-American...you’re as good as your talent. My take on this thread is as far as individually rated...is this the most talented coaching staff in the SEC? I say yes. Whether Pruitt can make proper use of their collective teaching and recruiting and playcalling is another thread or four.

Florida’s roster, whatever stars you want to give them, has done fairly well in recent decades against your team. If y’all are pinning your hopes on Mullen’s inability to bring in elite talent at Florida, good luck with that.

My point of posting in this thread was in response to the idea that UT has the best coaching staff in the SEC. I simply said there’s no way Florida would trade staffs with UT, particularly at the head coach spot. And I also doubt most other teams in the SEC would. I don’t even think Kentucky or Vandy would trade head coaches with you at this point. That point stands.

You should make it stand in a Gator Fan Forum.

Friend has not been very good anywhere he was. His units gave up a ton of sacks at GA and didn't run well

By the way, that is part of a trend for Friend as an offensive line coach. Before becoming offensive coordinator under Mike Bobo with the Colorado State Rams, he coached the Georgia Bulldogs’ offensive line from 2011 to 2014.
In three of those four years, the Dawgs allowed over 20 sacks. They had 35 one year. The rushing attack averaged under five yards a carry for three of the four years he was there as well. Because of all that, he’s clearly still the worst coach on this staff.

1) Sacks allowed decreased every season he was there.

2) They never gave up 35 in a season, that is incorrect.

3) So far under "the greatest OL coach in the country" they've given up 20 or more sacks 3 straight years. 20 is a pretty strict bar anyway imo. Fwiw we gave up 24 this season. Well over 30 in 2017.

4) UGA's national rushing per carry ranks after his 1st season were 30th, 48th, 8th.

He also had CSU top 30 in rushing and sacks allowed his 3 years there. He's really good and just needs time to develop, as well as S&C.

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
I’m thrilled with Mullen’s recruiting. And according to Rivals, we have two 5-stars on the roster, plus another already committed for the 2020 class. Besides, who needs “5 stars” when you have 3-star guys like Jachai Polite, Jarrad Davis and Lamical Perine emerge every year? His 2018 class is ranked #8 overall, he went 10-3 with McElwain’s dudes. You should come to grips soon with the idea that Mullen has Florida rising, fast!

You do realize it should be pretty easy to recruit Florida considering there’s elite talent in your backyard every year?

Reactions: Jaws

VN Store

Back