Which SEC teams have a better assistant coaching staff than Tennessee?

I'm not from Missouri but they still gotta "show me".

I was hell bend that Bob Shoop would kick ass at Tennessee. That taught me to wait and see.

Reactions: alaVOL
I think we stack up as a whole better than anyone in the SEC. Bama had major turmoil but still got some decent replacements.

I think LSU minus HC is solid. aTm and Florida have great staffs as well. UGA has Smart, Pittman and Warren so that is a good base.

I wouldn't do a wholesale trade for any others over our staff. We now have the trifecta now with great recruiters, awesome player development/S&C and game day coaches. The only thing we are lacking now is "shower discipline coordinator" and a "helmet safety officer" to prevent those nasty falls!

The only thing he had on Friend was recruiting and that’s not a runaway anymore.
Friend has not been very good anywhere he was. His units gave up a ton of sacks at GA and didn't run well

By the way, that is part of a trend for Friend as an offensive line coach. Before becoming offensive coordinator under Mike Bobo with the Colorado State Rams, he coached the Georgia Bulldogs’ offensive line from 2011 to 2014.
In three of those four years, the Dawgs allowed over 20 sacks. They had 35 one year. The rushing attack averaged under five yards a carry for three of the four years he was there as well. Because of all that, he’s clearly still the worst coach on this staff.

Friend has not been very good anywhere he was. His units gave up a ton of sacks at GA and didn't run well

By the way, that is part of a trend for Friend as an offensive line coach. Before becoming offensive coordinator under Mike Bobo with the Colorado State Rams, he coached the Georgia Bulldogs’ offensive line from 2011 to 2014.
In three of those four years, the Dawgs allowed over 20 sacks. They had 35 one year. The rushing attack averaged under five yards a carry for three of the four years he was there as well. Because of all that, he’s clearly still the worst coach on this staff.
I know his history...and I disagree with you.

Not even remotely close to being correct, CWF is a good coach so not exactly sure what your talking about

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
Well Shoop only had one bad year out of seven as a DC and that was at Tennessee. So that kind of really plays into CBJ dorking things up behind the scenes. BTW, I wonder if CBJ was part of CFP preparation team for game against Clemson?

Your post echoes my thoughts about Butch. People can bash me but I honestly believe Butch tried his best to torpedo the program. I mean Shoop was very good at Vandy and PSU. He comes here and our defense plummets to Sunseri levels. He goes to MSU and once again shines. Thats 3 different HCs Shoop worked for and he found success with 2. Just more proof of what I believe.

Most of them... I'm still skeptical on development. The OL had fewer injuries, but looked like JV. We'll see what happens

Not sure, but I absolutely believe we got better this off-season with staff and players. If so, it should mean more W's. Go Vols.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
I'm just saying if you were to put these assistants down on paper and didn't know which school they coached for, the staffs at LSU, A&M, and UT stand out IMO.

Not sure, but I absolutely believe we got better this off-season with staff and players. If so, it should mean more W's. Go Vols.

This. All trends are favorable - we should do significantly better this upcoming season. I am optimistic.

Reactions: UTwild82
It seems every single year, a significant portion of UT fans claim the best coaching staff in America. I remember this being said about the Kiffin/Dooley/Butch eras at one point or another.

I wouldn’t trade UF’s staff for any in the SEC, let alone UT’s, with a second year and still completely unproven head coach. I’d imagine Bama, UGa, LSU, TexAM, Auburn, Missouri and others feel the same.

Be happy with your head coach and his assembled staff, but it’s silly to try and insinuate it’s better than everyone else in the SEC. At least make a bowl game before you go dropping the “best staff in America” business.

I like our staff at UF. They may not be necessarily "better" than UT, but they have largely been in the same system and I like the continuity for a change. On DB we actually upgraded to Torian Gray. On DL David Turner seems to be a good developer of talent. Don't know about his recruiting ability but it's not like Sunseri was pulling 5 stars. In fact our worst recruited position right now is DT. Hevesy did a tremendous job on OL last season. Grantham decided to spurn the Bengals and stick around. We don't have an OC because Mullen makes the offensive calls.

I honestly think UF is in the best shape as far as assistants / staff in the East, and don't think we are far behind UGA. At least we don't need an OC as long as Mullen is good with calling plays, and that is a big advantage. The buck stops with Mullen and he will admit it when his calls are subpar, like he did last season after the UGA game.

I like 10-3 in year one, with a major bowl win against a major opponent.

I also like going from 100+ something in total offense to 42nd, and a vastly improved defense too.

I like taking Felipe Franks from one of the worst QBs in all of college football to one of the best in the SEC.

I like that UF’s head coach and his staff aren’t Saban deciples. That makes him different, unique. While Georgia and others, are hellbent on becoming “Bama of the East,” Florida is hellbent on being Florida.

Mullen will be the one to dethrone Alabama.

Reactions: Gatornator
I also like going from 100+ something in total offense to 42nd, and a vastly improved actually utilizing the existing talent on defense too.
I like taking Felipe Franks from one of the worst QBs in all of college football to one of the best being a middling QB in the SEC.
I like that UF’s head coach and his staff aren’t Saban deciples. That makes him different, unique. While Georgia and others, are hellbent on becoming “Bama of the East,” Florida is hellbent on being Florida making jorts and mullets acceptable in the other 49 states.
Mullen will be the one to dethrone Alabama once Saban retires.

FYP

Reactions: Behr
It seems every single year, a significant portion of UT fans claim the best coaching staff in America. I remember this being said about the Kiffin/Dooley/Butch eras at one point or another.

I wouldn’t trade UF’s staff for any in the SEC, let alone UT’s, with a second year and still completely unproven head coach. I’d imagine Bama, UGa, LSU, TexAM, Auburn, Missouri and others feel the same.

Be happy with your head coach and his assembled staff, but it’s silly to try and insinuate it’s better than everyone else in the SEC. At least make a bowl game before you go dropping the “best staff in America” business.

Do you honestly not see how stupid you look? Coming here and bragging about your stupid ass gators like we gaf and actually telling us what we should be happy with and how we should be feeling? Seriously?

Was gonna tell you to gtfo, but I'm actually enjoying it.

Coach Pruitt identified the weak spots and upgraded. I like that and if our staff work well together, I see no reason why they cannot be the best.

I also like going from 100+ something in total offense to 42nd, and a vastly improved defense too.

I like taking Felipe Franks from one of the worst QBs in all of college football to one of the best in the SEC.

I like that UF’s head coach and his staff aren’t Saban deciples. That makes him different, unique. While Georgia and others, are hellbent on becoming “Bama of the East,” Florida is hellbent on being Florida.

Mullen will be the one to dethrone Alabama.

Lol, Florida has zero 5 stars in the roster. Ask Mullen to recruit elite talent before dethroning Saban.

Lol, Florida has zero 5 stars in the roster. Ask Mullen to recruit elite talent before dethroning Saban.

I’m thrilled with Mullen’s recruiting. And according to Rivals, we have two 5-stars on the roster, plus another already committed for the 2020 class. Besides, who needs “5 stars” when you have 3-star guys like Jachai Polite, Jarrad Davis and Lamical Perine emerge every year? His 2018 class is ranked #8 overall, he went 10-3 with McElwain’s dudes. You should come to grips soon with the idea that Mullen has Florida rising, fast!

I’m thrilled with Mullen’s recruiting. And according to Rivals, we have two 5-stars on the roster, plus another already committed for the 2020 class. Besides, who needs “5 stars” when you have 3-star guys like Jachai Polite, Jarrad Davis and Lamical Perine emerge every year? His 2018 class is ranked #8 overall, he went 10-3 with McElwain’s dudes. You should come to grips soon with the idea that Mullen has Florida rising, fast!

Not one in 2019 roster as per 247... I am so jealous of your 3 star guys... thumb.jpeg

Not one in 2019 roster as per 247... I am so jealous of your 3 star guys... View attachment 195047

Florida’s roster, whatever stars you want to give them, has done fairly well in recent decades against your team. If y’all are pinning your hopes on Mullen’s inability to bring in elite talent at Florida, good luck with that.

My point of posting in this thread was in response to the idea that UT has the best coaching staff in the SEC. I simply said there’s no way Florida would trade staffs with UT, particularly at the head coach spot. And I also doubt most other teams in the SEC would. I don’t even think Kentucky or Vandy would trade head coaches with you at this point. That point stands.

VN Store

Back