Who impressed the most?

The entire defensive line got great push and pressure. Hope they can do it against better teams as well.

I would have to say Barnett and O'Brien. We already knew that AJ and Sutton were two of the best returning starters. Barnett and O'Brien were very disruptive on the line. They played in the backfield all night long.

Everyone on here is saying players but I'll go with something a little different. For a two deep filled with freshmen and sophomores, the discipline was really good, even for an opener. These guys are well coached.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone on here is saying players but I'll go with something a little different. For a two deep filled with freshmen and sophomores, the discipline was really good, even for an opener. These guys are well coached.

Agreed. There were some freshman mistakes, but overall, they were quite impressive for the youth off the team. I expected more false starts and offsides penalties, for instance.

Wow, bold prediction! If Sutton turns out to be even CLOSE to Deon Grant, we'll be in awesome shape on that side of the secondary for a couple of seasons. Hope you're right!

Go Vols!

Deon Grant was a safety.

Not to sound crazy, but AJ played like I expected. He's always been a beast, just never had the help he needed. Sutton has shown improvement from last year as I also expected. For me, it comes down to either the D-line or Worley. I fully expected Worley to be a good game manager, but he really took control of the offense. For now, I'm picking him, but I reserve the right to change it if the D-line looks that good against more quality opponents.

How about scoring with five (six, including Medley) different players? Lots of weapons!

Worley looked like a completely different player to me. Was very impressed with how he improved.

Cam Sutton has the most NFL potential of anyone on the team in my opinion. I loved watching his closing speed last night on a few of their attempted bubble screens. He was there in a heartbeat, and laid the wood. That's what we were missing more than anything last year. Not sure if I like him returning punts though?

Taking a different angle NG O'Brien looked solid and D line looked quick. :clapping:

Good point. He made some good plays inside for sure. Seems to get off blocks pretty well, which is refreshing. Lets hope he keeps it up against the big boys!

1) Derek Barnett. FreshMAN. Was all over the place and held his own.
2) Bates and TKjr. Special teams. Made some great plays
3) Worley. Played a great game, no turnovers.

It is amazing to see how much faster AJ was able to play with decent DL play. I don't wanna be too optimistic because we it was Utah State. I mean to be honest we out talented them just like we did NCST and Cincy. I will say this though. This is the fastest UT D we have seen since 09.

Jancek. At the end of last season I wanted him replaced and am now totally blown away with how much improvement there was on defense last night. No missed tackles, great speed, discipline - everything that was wrong last year suddenly looked right. Perhaps it's too early to say for sure (let's see UGA and UF games to confirm) but it really felt like we are on completely different level. Kudos to Jancek and the whole defensive staff. One thing we still need to see is when physically dominant (ie bigger) offensive lines start running right at us how will we hold up given we are smaller than last year - but I'm hopeful all the blowouts and 50+ yard plays we used to routinely suffer watching over last several years against our defense are the thing of the past - looks like we will be much more competitive this year.

I was really impressed with how well our team was prepared but the one thing really stood out to me was when Gilliam got hurt we put the true freshman from CAK, Kendrick, in at tackle. I never saw him miss an assignment and on one play he completely caved in his side of the USU defensive line for a nice run gain. Thought he did a great job coming off the bench.

Defense. much better than expected.

Worley. ditto. no ground balls.

Offensive game plan. made the job easier for the O line, and for Worley.

Pearson lived up the billing. Danny O'Brien played great. Best game AJ's played. (There was the 3rd and 15 where USU got him isolated...which may be a sign of things to come.) Jancek was on the money with nearly every call. Worley got the quick passes out quickly (which is essentially our outside running game), played with confidence, which is good. (He was atrocious on the long balls. Just get the ball somewhere near North or Pearson and it's a catch.)

VN Store

Back