Who is on the team next year?

Take this with a grain of salt, but I have a buddy that's very involved with the team. He said he thinks Mashack, Tobe, and Dilione could be gone. I was personally shocked to hear the first two, but I think Dilione could be gone. Mashack and Tobe both feel very much like Barnes guys, but particularly on Mashack, my buddy said that Barnes is trying to get away from the more one dimensional players and wants more offensive focused/capable guys. Easier to teach someone to play defense than to teach them how to score.

Again, take it for what it's worth, but he's well connected. He also expects Aidoo to test the NBA waters, but that's not a shock.

Do facts ever matter with all these critiques? He averaged in double figures for 3rd on the team. He was unquestionably one of the top 2-3 centers in the SEC. You can’t kick everyone to the curb if they don’t become an All American by their junior season! Jonas is a fine college post who will likely be improved next year and he will be sorely missed if he doesn’t return.
I think the reality is someone from our 3 bigs is going to be gone, whether that's Aidoo, Awaka, or Estrella. It's just hard to convince a guy to wait two years for a major role in today's day and age.

Being a factor on offense involves more than shooting. You understand that, right?
Well of course. If you think he's been anywhere near to what he has been, you might as well stop responding. That will let me know you have no idea how basketball works. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing and you're losing. Stop it.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I have a buddy that's very involved with the team. He said he thinks Mashack, Tobe, and Dilione could be gone. I was personally shocked to hear the first two, but I think Dilione could be gone. Mashack and Tobe both feel very much like Barnes guys, but particularly on Mashack, my buddy said that Barnes is trying to get away from the more one dimensional players and wants more offensive focused/capable guys. Easier to teach someone to play defense than to teach them how to score.

Again, take it for what it's worth, but he's well connected. He also expects Aidoo to test the NBA waters, but that's not a shock.
So two guys that will more than likely be starters next year are just gonna leave? That's laughably dumb.

So two guys that will more than likely be starters next year are just gonna leave? That's laughably dumb.
Well if Aidoo is back, Awaka is not going to start. They're not going to start Awaka and Aidoo next to each other, given they played maybe 40 total minutes together this year. Mashack might start depending on who they bring in from the Portal and where Gainey/Carr/Dilione if he stays fit in.

Well if Aidoo is back, Awaka is not going to start. They're not going to start Awaka and Aidoo next to each other, given they played maybe 40 total minutes together this year. Mashack might start depending on who they bring in from the Portal and where Gainey/Carr/Dilione if he stays fit in.
I think Tobe starts over Aidoo. Jonas is just too soft.

Reactions: Native Orange
Well of course. If you think he's been anywhere near to what he has been, you might as well stop responding. That will let me know you have no idea how basketball works. You're just arguing for the sake of arguing and you're losing. Stop it.
The point is he was indeed a factor and contributed quite a bit this year.

Not buying the Mashack part ... At all. Moving away is subtle and over time. Abandoning ship would be forcing out Mashack next year. I just don't see that one. I think the comment could be valid about the type of player Barnes recruits going forward.

I also think the bond between ZZ and Awaka is strong. Awaka stays another year then all bets are off.

Reactions: berryvol
Aidoo has a very nice jumper and showed the he can score from 12 feet with it. And he showed that he can score consistently down low if he's not dealing with a big, burly center. That's the main issue with him: He struggles against the really big centers--but he was a major asset for us this season and to say otherwise because he was a cipher in the Purdue game is absurd.

Awaka is improving rapidly and is going to be a force for us next season. Does he have a little jumper to go with his low-post
game? In my mind, he and Aidoo would be AMAZING together offensively---the classic low post/high-post setup. They'd be a very effective
combo, I think. The problem would be defensively: We're a man team, and you'd be asking Aidoo to guard someone smaller and quicker and
it might not work. If you can't play them together, then you have an issue with keeping both happy along with Estrella. Assuming Aidoo and Awaka don't play together, I could see Awaka supplanting Aidoo as a starter, because he's more of a physical force in the paint, which we need, and his offensive game seems to be rapidly developing. We will want to keep both, of course.

Carr looks like a guy who's got the potential to be good/very good. I think he'll be our starting 2 guard next year.

A team with Ziggy, Mashack, Carr, Aidoo, Awaka, Gainey, Phillips, Estrella is a pretty strong core group. What that group is missing
is a scoring winger. With Kneckt gone we badly need to find a scorer in the portal--and probably a second athletic winger who can defend/score/rebound. And we need a backup PG. But there is certainly some very solid potential in our returning group, depending...

Reactions: spyfish007
Maybe not. Could depend on who we get in the portal, but it wasn't that long ago when Kyle Alexander and Grant Williams started together. Grant only shot one 3 pt attempt per game over his college career.
Grant had a floor game significantly better than both of these guys even though he wasn't much of a three point shooter. He could literally do everything but that.

I wouldn't say that low.

We lose our star in Dalton Knecht, but outside of that, we really aren't losing much. Not to be mean, but Vescovi and James didn't produce much on offense this year.

Thats three scholarships open to get some good players out of the portal.

I'd say realistically, you are looking at a 2-4 seeded team
It will be hard to replace JJJ, he can play so many positions and shut down defense similar to Mashack. He was the cornerstone of the defense. The defense got us to the elite 8 with added sauce from DK. Personally I would prefer a little less defense, just a little less, and a lot more offense. The top teams all have a strong big a point guard and 3 deadly 3 point shooters.

Reactions: spyfish007
Ok, so who in the current roster has shown they can come close to carrying the load offensively? Who on this current roster showed this year that they can score consistently.
With Knecht here there wasn't that much offense left to go around. Amazingly in our two biggest wins, Knecht had 16 and 13. Carr will more than make up for Vescovi. He showed he can score by coming in cold off the bench and making a confident and smooth stroke, knocking down a 3 during a critical time in the game.

Grant had a floor game significantly better than both of these guys even though he wasn't much of a three point shooter. He could literally do everything but that.

And now that's all he does...... and start fights 😆

Reactions: ColinS
I’d be stunned if Awaka and/or Mashack leave. Freddie, I think is gone. Aidoo probably a full toss up right now between draft and transfer - he seems to love Barnes and UT, but fair to ask if he’s reached his ceiling here. Outside of those, I doubt we lose anyone else. DJ I suppose could leave, but also seems to love it here and would have a path to the court if he could figure out school. It sounds like any issues he has here would move with him, so it would likely behoove him to stick it out at a place he’s familiar and get his ish together off the court - he probably would’ve contributed this season if he already had it figured out.

I’d be stunned if Awaka and/or Mashack leave. Freddie, I think is gone. Aidoo probably a full toss up right now between draft and transfer - he seems to love Barnes and UT, but fair to ask if he’s reached his ceiling here. Outside of those, I doubt we lose anyone else. DJ I suppose could leave, but also seems to love it here and would have a path to the court if he could figure out school. It sounds like any issues he has here would move with him, so it would likely behoove him to stick it out at a place he’s familiar and get his ish together off the court - he probably would’ve contributed this season if he already had it figured out.
I've always wondered why people were certain DJ was leaving, especially with his academic issues. If he feels he can contribute here, he should stay. With his academic issues he would almost have to transfer down to a mid-major

I've always wondered why people were certain DJ was leaving, especially with his academic issues. If he feels he can contribute here, he should stay. With his academic issues he would almost have to transfer down to a mid-major
Yup. And while this doesn’t translate to direct PT and contribution (see Freddie Dillione), he was getting a lot of run in Italy over the summer - iirc, he was even in the starting lineup for a game or two.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Yup. And while this doesn’t translate to direct PT and contribution (see Freddie Dillione), he was getting a lot of run in Italy over the summer - iirc, he was even in the starting lineup for a game or two.
I hope Dillione sticks around. Him and Carr on the wings next year could be exciting, especially meshed with Mashack. Gainey too

With Knecht here there wasn't that much offense left to go around. Amazingly in our two biggest wins, Knecht had 16 and 13. Carr will more than make up for Vescovi. He showed he can score by coming in cold off the bench and making a confident and smooth stroke, knocking down a 3 during a critical time in the game.
Carr played in less than half of our games, averaged 4 minutes a game, and shot less than 30% from the floor on the year…but he made one shot against Creighton so he must be great…cool cool cool.

Reactions: walkenvol
Don’t you think we could go back to starting a 4 and a 5? We just didn’t have depth in the post to do it this year. Aidoo and Awaka are starters next year imo

VN Store

Back