Who is on the team next year?

Don’t you think we could go back to starting a 4 and a 5? We just didn’t have depth in the post to do it this year. Aidoo and Awaka are starters next year imo
I don’t know how much Barnes likes having a true 4 and 5. He certainly hasn’t built his teams that way for the last several years. He seems to like recruiting athletic guys that can play a G/F type role. The last productive post player he had was Grant W, and he is a smaller post guy too.

Reactions: spyfish007
Wish I could share your optimism but I think we’re about to take a pretty big step back next year.

It’ll be 20 years or more before we see another talent like DK and we will miss the other seniors a lot more than people think.
bet you didnt expect this years results with DK either....one never knows in BB

Don’t you think we could go back to starting a 4 and a 5? We just didn’t have depth in the post to do it this year. Aidoo and Awaka are starters next year imo
I just don't see it personally. Rick wants to play fast and spread the court more. Playing a true 4 and 5 just doesn't seem like how he wants to run his offense. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but I don't see it as likely.

Doesn’t matter. This is basketball. Tennessee earned an easier road to the Final 4 by being great all year, but Alabama got it. The NCAAT is an idiotic format to choose a champion. Renders the regular season almost meaningless.
Is there another sport they handle it differently? A regular season where the teams are seeded and then compete based on their seed?

Is there another sport they handle it differently? A regular season where the teams are seeded and then compete based on their seed?
College Baseball has double elimination pods, followed by super regional series, followed by a double elimination 8-team pod in Omaha, followed by another series. The NBA plays series. College football doesn’t allow 68 teams in.

Yes. Every sport handles it differently. College basketball allows 68 teams to play a single elimination format, subjecting it to more fluke outcomes than any other sport because a) over half the field is comprised of teams that aren’t legitimate NC contenders, but can and will play spoiler to a superior team, and b) basketball is the sport most susceptible to fluke outcomes due to its officiating and cold/hot shooting nights (which is why the NBA playoffs are made up of series).

It’s the most fun postseason format, but also the worst way to choose a champion. The regular season means very little as a result.

Reactions: knox73
Barnes just isn't a coach that will have 2 or 3 true bigs. If you review all his previous rosters he normally has a few G/F guys 6'6" to 6'9"

His FF team at Texas didn't have a player over 6'9" on the roster.

Abdul-Shamsid-Deen - 6'11"
Marty Conlon - 6'10"
Tom Wideman - 6'10"
Adam Allenspach - 7'1"
Chris Mihm - 7'0" (who he inherited)
LaMarcus Aldridge - 6'11"
Connor Atchley - 6'10"
Dexter Pittman - 6'10"
Clint Chapman - 6'10"
Prince Ibeh - 6'10"
Myles Turner - 6'11"
Kyle Alexander - 6'11"
Uros Plavsic - 7'0"
Jonas Aidoo - 6'11"
BHH - 6'10"
JP Estrella - 6'11"

That's all of them in his nearly 40 year career and a good number never developed into 25+ mpg players while under Barnes. Awaka fit his typical "big" but wasn't quite as athletic as Grant or as comfortable in the pick and roll as Aidoo. And his high foul rate is well discussed.

So we have 3 bigs on roster right now with Aidoo, JP, and Cade... I'd say we'll see Barnes try to fill Awaka's spot with a hybrid G/F that has size but isn't necessarily limited. A few different players seem to meet that requirement in the portal that we've been in contact with. Saint Thomas might be the best fit because of his rebounding... but

Well, the portal has certainly made every sport a 24/7, 365 days/year sport for fans. Sports talk radio and great websites like Volnation have something happening, something to discuss, every dadgum day.

On the other hand, the seasonality of each sport is disappearing, and with it the last vestiges of the natural rhythms of life for most, unless you farm or garden.

Maybe that's why so many young people now are turning to homesteading. Maybe they see where this thing is heading if they don't reconnect with "non-cyber" reality. Best of luck, kids! Learn from our mistakes; don't repeat them.

Zeigler
Mashack
?
?
Awaka

Not sure where they go at the 2 and 3. I'd like to see DJ Jefferson Play at the SF but idk if he's going to be on the team still.

I think they are going to start Awaka over Aidoo. Awaka has been emerging as a serious player.
Awaka is gone

VN Store

Back