Why did the cops ask Vol fan to sit down last night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard on the radio KPD arrested 150 people during the OK game. I don't think that many people get arrested at Eagles games. But yea have fun fighting for your rights

Yeah 150 people is a lot of people. If people behaved better then there wouldn't be as many people arrested at the games.

it is illegal to stand up at a game??? that's the only way a police officer can order you to sit down. they don't have unlimited powers.

it is illegal to stand up at a game??? that's the only way a police officer can order you to sit down. they don't have unlimited powers.

Neyland stadium is the property of the University of Tennessee. They have the absolute right to define the standards of behavior inside it.

It's no different than being asked to quiet down at a hotel or other public place. Their property. Their rules.

Reactions: 3 people
A cop can't give a person a ticket for disobeying a lawful order if the person is not breaking a law to begin with, even if they do it would get thrown out in court every time. We could ask someone to sit down but if they said no then that would be the end of it. The only thing I could see happening would be if the person didn't just say no but was loud, cussing, and causing a big scene about it then there would be room for disorderly contact but that's about all I can see legally happening.

A cop can't give a person a ticket for disobeying a lawful order if the person is not breaking a law to begin with, even if they do it would get thrown out in court every time. We could ask someone to sit down but if they said no then that would be the end of it. The only thing I could see happening would be if the person didn't just say no but was loud, cussing, and causing a big scene about it then there would be room for disorderly contact but that's about all I can see legally happening.

They can and they will. It might get dismissed in court, but that won't stop police from doing it.

Reactions: 2 people
Then those cops need to be reprimanded by the chief, they are opening their departement up for a harassment lawsuit.

Reactions: 1 person
If the people in front of me are standing, then I'm gonna stand... If you don't like it, tell the people in front of me to sit and then I will. I'm not gonna miss the game by sitting so you can see. It's a football game, your allowed to stand and cheer all you want. This is a free country you know and the tickets say nothing about you staying seated the whole time.

Again, not taking sides on the sitting/standing debate, but some of you should read up on the law because you are limiting your rights. There are good cops and there are bad cops. Good cops would explain your rights to you. Bad cops will take advantage of your ignorance.

Or shoot you in the back.

Oh OK. Yeah I was at the Arkansas game too but was too focused in on the game to notice how many cops were around.

tumblr_m6rnbdBuBY1r8kfm2o1_500.jpg

Yeah I'm sure all these awesome recruits want to go play in a stadium where everyone sits half the game.

It's part of it. Get over it.

If the person in front of me stands and I want to see, I stand as well. If the person in front of me is sitting, I sit as well. When I arrive, I take note of the folks behind me. If they are elderly or very young and small, I do all I can to sit as much as possible. Since I'm very unique and talented, I can actually cheer just as loudly from a seated position as I can while standing. Bottom line.....respect those around you. Don't be a selfish, self absorbed prick.

Reactions: 7 people
It's a common courtesy issue..... I've got kids that can't see over a person standing in front of them. You don't have to stand to be loud. Big plays.... 3rd downs...4th downs..... Everyone stands, but its not a prerequisite.

Reactions: 3 people
If the person in front of me stands and I want to see, I stand as well. If the person in front of me is sitting, I sit as well. When I arrive, I take note of the folks behind me. If they are elderly or very young and small, I do all I can to sit as much as possible. Since I'm very unique and talented, I can actually cheer just as loudly from a seated position as I can while standing. Bottom line.....respect those around you. Don't be a selfish, self absorbed prick.

100% this ^

Reactions: 4 people
Yeah we didn't have any problems yesterday with people complaining about standing. Our section stood a lot but we sat on offense some. Even the Georgia fans in our section didn't complain about us standing during a big defensive series so that is a good thing.

A cop can write you a ticket for disobeying his order. If he tells you to sit and you refuse, have fun showing up to court and paying that fine + court costs

Uhhhh, no. It's all about context. There is not a law/rule at Neyland, regarding standing. He/she can write all the tickets they wanted. It would get thrown out of court. Now, if you're involved in an "incident/crime" and in the purpose of their duties (preserving safety/investigation) they ask you to do something that doesn't violate your civil rights. Then you could be in violation of "lawful order" disobedience.

I'm the type of person that likes to make sure the person behind me can see. I stand a lot, but I always turn and ask them if they can see ok. Especially in situations like yesterday, when the person in the seat behind me was maybe 12 years old.

I see both sides of the issue. However if you were at movies and the person in front of you in a packed house stood up the entire time how would you feel?

Not really sure about that, but then again I've never been in a movie that was so exciting that I felt the need to stand up and cheer all the way through it

Spaceballs maybe?

I have been going to Neyland for a lot of years. I never had any problem. The only ones I ever see that I don't want to be around are the "Crazed Drunks" which I have seen a few actually a UT fan and a Georgia idiot fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back