Will We Do a Complete Defensive Switch

For the life of me I can't remember what style of Defense he ran at FSU.

According to Wikipedia, "4-3 Multiple", which I'm assuming means predominantly 4-3, but some different looks, as well.

I also agree with you that Taylor could conceivably be moved to OLB. He played there a bit in high school and I've always thought he would do well in a 3-4 defense as OLB.

Reactions: 2 people
I mean seriously can you imagine what he could do with a pure pass rusher like Taylor?! I’m interested in seeing what he puts together. There is talent on the defensive side of the ball with Tuttle, Phillips, Warrior, TKJr, Bituli, Kirkland, Mac

DE - Phillips and Tuttle/Kongbo
NT - McKenzie/Tuttle
OLB - Taylor and Kongbo/Sapp
MLB - Kirkland and Ignont
CB - Buchanan, Shamburger, Osborne
NB - Gaulden
S - TK and Warrior

Y'all think Helton is gonna come in here and run the wing T?

We will run a base 3-4. No question about it.

<blue font> Since what we were doing was working so great, yes, let's change slowly, can't risk that great defense we put on the field this past season, I want to see more of it.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Taylor and Phillips could thrive at OLB. I'm not so sure about Kongo. He looked slow coming off the ball this season. I now understand why Butch moved him inside last year. It was more than to it than just injuries at DT

Phillips is built like a lineman. He is too big for a LB

Reactions: 1 person
I think Taylor and Phillips could thrive at OLB. I'm not so sure about Kongo. He looked slow coming off the ball this season. I now understand why Butch moved him inside last year. It was more than to it than just injuries at DT

Not sure Phillips has the speed to play OLB in the SEC, he really hasn't been impressive so far in his natural position, has he?:)

Pruitt will run the system and alignment that best suits the talent on the team next fall. As he builds the roster, that could all change. The 2018 class will give us an indication of what the future holds, the 2019 class for sure.

Reactions: 3 people
in year 1 or will Pruitt make the switch slowly as the season goes progresses? I've been wondering about this for days. I just don't see the LB depth for a 3-4 right now.

To actually answer your question....
First, there are a lot of factors, for example what is the learning curve on these guys....
Second, how many pieces do we end up with...
Also, I believe we have more pieces with the coaches we have now then we did... (Yes body type matters but you can coach that up...) but if you have better mens then thy do it won't matter in the fourth...

For the life of me I can't remember what style of Defense he ran at FSU.

It was 4-3 multiple. Think of our scheme where Khalil mans NT and Tuttle/Phillips flank him. They control the run and when they go to third down, Khalil leaves and Tuttle/Phillips bunch together with Taylor on the right side and Austin Smith on the left...only one who actually leaves is Khalil. That’s the multiple. It’s a glorified 3-4...minute adjustments to get the same effect.

It was 4-3 multiple. Think of our scheme where Khalil mans NT and Tuttle/Phillips flank him. They control the run and when they go to third down, Khalil leaves and Tuttle/Phillips bunch together with Taylor on the right side and Austin Smith on the left...only one who actually leaves is Khalil. That’s the multiple. It’s a glorified 3-4...minute adjustments to get the same effect.
Nice

Last edited:
Not that I know anything, but, since you asked... I say rip that band-aid off! Expectations for Tennessee will never be lower than they are this off season. If you're going to make the change start on day one and get the buy-in from the players. It's a new day on the Hill.

Reactions: 4 people
A full switch to 3-4 with the current roster would be catastrophic. Sunseri 2.0.

He has to make the switch gradually over the next 2 seasons as the players learn and the right recruits are brought in.

I wouldn't expect the 3-4 to be fully implemented until 2020.

Reactions: 4 people
A full switch to 3-4 with the current roster would be catastrophic. Sunseri 2.0.

He has to make the switch gradually over the next 2 seasons as the players learn and the right recruits are brought in.

I wouldn't expect the 3-4 to be fully implemented until 2020.
That's what I'm thinking and hoping

We've got two prototypical OLBs in Taylor and Kongbo.

We've got two prototypical DEs in Tuttle and Khalil.

Only big piece we don't have is a 3 technique. Our most talented players fit the 3-4 just fine. We don't have any depth but that's true for the 4-3 also.

Last edited:
He hinted that we might still be running 4-3 this next season. He's said he wants to play the best players and make the scheme fit around them, and we've not had great LB depth the past season. That said, our LB depth should improve for 2018, so maybe it would be possible to do 3-4, but still feels a bit like we currently lack the personnel.

I think if kongbo lightened up 10/15 lbs he would absolutely be a monster as the edge rusher in a 34 defense.

VN Store

Back