Will We Do a Complete Defensive Switch

The good and the bad...

The good

The 3-4 is actually a much better D because after everyone learns everything is gives the DC many more options to attack the O.

The 3-4 will also confuse the QB more because we can just have guys look like they're standing around until the ball is snapped and by then it's too late many times for the QB to change much of what he called.

The bad

The 3-4 is very complex and it's very hard to teach and to learn so it will take a long while to get everything clicking well.

Problem 1 is that there simply aren't enough coaches that are really good, experienced teachers of all the intricacies of the 3-4.

Even the NFL has a hard time finding really good 3-4 teachers for every position.

The NFL is a full-time job with no school classrooms and grades to worry about but even in the NFL it many times takes 2 or 3 years to get a 3-4 D working well simply because there's so much to learn and remember.

NFL takes lots of Bama players simply because all of them already know lots about the 3-4 system.

The NFL can go out and hire 3-4 players through free agency to get better faster so it's much harder in college to get the right players at every position and then get them to learn so much in a shorter period of time.

College also must recruit exactly the right type of player for every position and the recruits must be very smart so they can learn faster.

CJP knows both the 3-4 and the 4-3 and he's WON a National Championship running both so I have no doubts that we'll see some 3-4 in certain situation this coming system.

He'll only be able to run as much as our players fit the right position molds and can learn the 3-4 as time goes along.

CJP said he'll run whatever is best to get more of our best players on the field so my guess is that we'll run mostly a 4-3 and variants of that but keep your eyes open because sometimes I think he'll swap players in that best know his 3-4 plays and will run some 3-4 just to keep the O more confused if, and a BIG IF, the players can learn enough fast enough to do it without may mistakes.

I think this total rebuild is going to be very interesting to watch happen and loads of fun to watch on gamedays.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
We've got two prototypical OLBs in Taylor and Kongbo.

We've got two prototypical DEs in Tuttle and Khalil.

Only big piece we don't have is a 3 technique. Our most talented players fit the 3-4 just fine. We don't have any depth but that's true for the 4-3 also.

How do you consider Khalil and Shy prototypical DEs?

They are both shorter and weigh more than your prototypical DEs. They are DT and solely that. I can see Shy playing NT in the 34.

Reactions: 3 people

They are both shorter and weigh more than your prototypical DEs. They are DT and solely that. I can see Shy playing NT in the 34.

Yes, and Kongbo as a OLB? Makes a lot of sense as he named prototypes of 4-3 DT’s and DE’s. Tuttle is the only stretch at NT as stated.

You’ll see multiple looks. Whatever Pruitt feels Tennessee runs well with the personnel he has it what we’ll see. Night and day compared to the last staff. Will it be an overnight success no but Tennessee will be very successful in the long run.

Reactions: 1 person

Because in a base 3-4 your DEs are bigger and designed to take up space so that your linebackers make the plays. Given the correct coaching Kong and Mac would do very well in a 3-4.

That said I’d be surprised if Kong is here nxt year

To echo, the 3-4 requires essentially 3 defensive tackles. The "ends" are usually about 290lbs. Huge nose guard. Outside LB's that are big as 4-3 DE's almost. Look at Alabama's defensive roster and you will see. The 6'5" 250 defensive end is not what is used in a true 3-4.

Reactions: 3 people
A full switch to 3-4 with the current roster would be catastrophic. Sunseri 2.0.

He has to make the switch gradually over the next 2 seasons as the players learn and the right recruits are brought in.

I wouldn't expect the 3-4 to be fully implemented until 2020.

That’s insane! We’re waves more athletically talented than 2012. Our kicker ain’t outrunning our DB’s on Pro Day! Most of our DL were recruited by 3-4 teams...they fit. Will mostly play 3-4 this season with multiple front elements. Our D was the bottom...only direction is up.

in year 1 or will Pruitt make the switch slowly as the season goes progresses? I've been wondering about this for days. I just don't see the LB depth for a 3-4 right now.

If you mean tackling, I certainly hope so.

Don't have LB depth for 3-4 unless Pruitt can bring some in. He can certainly sell playing time.

Taylor-Kirkland-Bituli-Phillips
Mac-Tuttle-Kong

I believe that's the best front we could hope for if Kong is still here

Since Vanderbilt has scored at will on UT for the last six quarters, I'm in favor of a complete change. Maybe some are intrigued by mere tweaks, but I say demolish and start over.

That’s insane! We’re waves more athletically talented than 2012. Our kicker ain’t outrunning our DB’s on Pro Day! Most of our DL were recruited by 3-4 teams...they fit. Will mostly play 3-4 this season with multiple front elements. Our D was the bottom...only direction is up.

Teams were racking up 400 to 500 yards against UT already. Put those same players in a system they don't fully understand yet or haven't practiced much. They'll be giving up 700 yards a game.

Better to make the switch as they learn and have the right bodies to fill positions.

UT needs bigger D linemen and more LBs in general to be running a 3-4 consistently.

Last edited:
He said it might be 3-4, 4-3, or 5-2. Whatever fits the players. I like that. I hope it is confusing as heck to opponents, in the backfield sacking and tackling, and on and on. No more laying off the line, chasing receivers who caught the ball and we don't have a clue, waiting for their OL to pancake our DL. Just Saying. I want the Offense to keep the D off the field except for a few three and outs completed by our team.

I think our previous staff had our DL and LB's playing to read and react. I bet our first change is that we turn the DL loose. I would rather us be disruptive up front and make some mistakes than sit on our heels and still make them.

in year 1 or will Pruitt make the switch slowly as the season goes progresses? I've been wondering about this for days. I just don't see the LB depth for a 3-4 right now.

CP even mentioned going 5-2 at times. I bet you even see that some in the playoffs used against Bama. In fact, the way Bama has used the 3-4 is very similar to a 5-2 look with both OLB's up on the ends and usually pushing 250 lbs. I think he will go with what he feels gives us the best chance of succeeding. Keep in mind that many teams use 3 or 4 WR sets as their typical base offense, so we will probably be in the nickel and dime packages quite a bit...thus the DB offers recently. A key here is Nigel Warrior because he can cover and play physical in run support at the same time.
Also, I think a lot of Sals problem was Sal...not the 3-4 alone. Sal was not a good coordinator, his team was poor at everything from positioning to tackling. It wouldn't have made a difference what set they were in.

Yea lb is going to be a problem no matter what I think but think our d line personel is way better suited for 34

There's significantly less pressure on the LBers in a 3/4, right? The bigger issue is having the big, strong DL to fill the gaps

Two major things that CJP needs to implement 3-4 that he currently doesn't have on this roster. A true 0 technique capable of covering both A gaps and enough LB's to fill the spots. Be interesting to see how they recruit. They need at least 2 Nose Tackles (0 technique) and 4-5 LBs in the 2018 class to get the 3-4 implemented.

think that could be the kiss of death. Didn't sunseri do that? Go from 4-3 to 3-4?

Probably would take 2 years to make the full change

VN Store

Back