Will We Do a Complete Defensive Switch

I regret picking on Kongbo in earlier posts. He came in at a tough time. Changes in coordinator. Playing in a lot more physical conference. I've seen him make better plays this past fall. I believe more credit should be given to experience. With few exceptions, RS Srs are playing with a lot more speed, confidence, and effect than JUCOs and underclassmen. Maybe another spring and better coaching will kick in this fall for Jonathan and all the Vols.

in year 1 or will Pruitt make the switch slowly as the season goes progresses? I've been wondering about this for days. I just don't see the LB depth for a 3-4 right now.

Sunseri tried to rush it and failed miserably. But...Pruitt is not Sunseri, and Dooley is not the HC, and I think both were factors in 2012.

We are very thin at LB for some reason. I wonder if some of our DEs might be able to make the transition. I think Saban's system uses an LB/DE hybrid of sorts in at least one position, but I am unsure.

Reactions: 1 person
Kongbo at LB, are people nuts?

DT speed/agility and folks want him at LB. Unbelievable!

Taylor would be a beast as a 3-4 LB.

If Pruitt walks in and makes the switch to a 3-4 with these personnel then its going to be a long long season.

I thought the same thing. It was absolutely pathetic to believe that they could not line up without his vast ability to put them in position. The information coming from the previous staff was mind boggling.

Yet, he did it to the best of his ability.

I like the idea of 3-4 but like someone pointed out we don't have the horses for it right now. I just want an aggressive well coached defense, no more sitting back and waiting.

I like the idea of 3-4 but like someone pointed out we don't have the horses for it right now. I just want an aggressive well coached defense, no more sitting back and waiting.

After the past two seasons, we have NAGS for the 4-2-5 also. Maybe move the herd around a lil and they’ll run better.

Reactions: 1 person
I just meant keeping a 4-3 base and incorporating 3-4 elements as the season progresses.

Hard enough to do one or the other, but both? I don't believe I have seen that even at the pro level. Doubt it seriously.

As to which, I think much rides on how this recruiting class ends up. If they pull in a miracle haul heavy in JUCO defensive guys it might work to switch. But if they don't? These position coaches better be damn good at teaching!

I just meant keeping a 4-3 base and incorporating 3-4 elements as the season progresses.

personnel wise, it might make sense. Kongbo, Kmac, Tuttle your 3 down. DK, DTaylor, Sapp and Bituli your LB's.

after those 7, no idea. and you could mix/match a couple of those guys depending on situation and have Taylor put his hand in the dirt for instance.

and the way they seem to be extending offers, it certainly seems #'s on the DL are important....and they're looking at big bodies inside, and at DE it's kind of a mixed bag.

i expect that this staff is looking at guys for their body type, regardless of position (RB, OLB, DE, Safety, TE) to see what kind of flexibility they might be able to create on the defensive side of the ball.

just a guess. i don't see a ton of offers, yet, to traditional LB's. RB, DE, DT, TE, OL seem to be getting the most attention...WR and DB next on the priority list.

i think there's a definite "type" of player they're looking for. it's going to be an interesting off season for sure....lots of questions, and i would imagine lots of changes to come.

Hard enough to do one or the other, but both? I don't believe I have seen that even at the pro level. Doubt it seriously.

As to which, I think much rides on how this recruiting class ends up. If they pull in a miracle haul heavy in JUCO defensive guys it might work to switch. But if they don't? These position coaches better be damn good at teaching!

the steelers do it. you'll see their OLB get down on the line at times, where their base is 3 down. situation sometimes dictates what personnel or alignment you run.

some 4-3 teams will put the DE down, but at the snap, he backs off the line and covers a TE or RB, or is responsible for a "zone" just like an OLB would be in a 34. Julius peppers will do this sometimes. there's other DE's that do it as well. again, situationally speaking.

i'm sure there's other examples, but those are two that i'm familiar with where they have their base (Pit 34, Car 43) and will switch during games based on a particular alignment, assignment or situation.

VN Store

Back