will we have to go with Guarantano to run the ball

If your offensive plan doesn't include frequent QB runs, you won't win in the 21st Century SEC.
Had Brent Schaeffer stayed in school, Fulmer would have 3 more NC rings.

No wisdom to be found here.

Bama has established dominance primarily behind QB's that couldn't run and weren't even that great throwing the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm in.

As a fan base we have turned a corner and have united.

Go Vols!

Ha.
Back to the legitimate part of the conversation though.
We saw the difference in practice ansd the real thing with Peterman versus Dobbs.
I'm a little anxious to see what happens once they're playing under The lights. You have to lean toward QD with the experience but so much difference in starting versus mop up.

And Peterman did good once he moved up country and had time to throw the ball. Something I hope Dormady will have from the beginning.

that is just what they said in the press, the QB coach has said the same. the true freshman may be the pick of the litter

So you still do not know anything other than your interpretation of coach speak?

I've been around here long enough to know there is always romance with the new, unknown guy... and very little "thrill" for the old "new guy" who has been developing for a couple or three years waiting on his opportunity.

Watching the spring game, there were a couple of things that stuck out. One was that QD delivered the ball accurately, on time, to the right guy, and in a way that allowed the receiver to make a play after the catch. Dobbs didn't master all of those things in 4 years. The other less obvious one was that QD has a better grasp of the O than JG. He was trusted to run more of it. He managed it more and better than JG.

Unless there is an incredible difference in talent that no one is talking about.... QD is the guy.

So you still do not know anything other than your interpretation of coach speak?

I've been around here long enough to know there is always romance with the new, unknown guy... and very little "thrill" for the old "new guy" who has been developing for a couple or three years waiting on his opportunity.

Watching the spring game, there were a couple of things that stuck out. One was that QD delivered the ball accurately, on time, to the right guy, and in a way that allowed the receiver to make a play after the catch. Dobbs didn't master all of those things in 4 years. The other less obvious one was that QD has a better grasp of the O than JG. He was trusted to run more of it. He managed it more and better than JG.

Unless there is an incredible difference in talent that no one is talking about.... QD is the guy.

I noticed this too. It was less about the talent and more about control. I told my wife during the spring game that JG looked like he was giving a great effort but it did look like effort.
QD made it look like a machine functioning as it's supposed to.

I noticed this too. It was less about the talent and more about control. I told my wife during the spring game that JG looked like he was giving a great effort but it did look like effort.
QD made it look like a machine functioning as it's supposed to

Not sure that could be stated better than you did.

Several times he hit receivers with timed passes and no one was within 5 yards of them. Dobbs always seemed to struggle to "see" those throws.

Reactions: 2 people
It's really this simple. Does QD throw that much better and run good enough or does JG run that much better and throw good enough?

IMHO I want the the QB to throw that much better and run good enough and right now that is QD. We have running backs to run the ball. John Kelly is a beast and CFA and Chandler is outstanding plus just because Josh Dobbs was durable does not mean JG will be.

QD should start until he gets BEAT out for the spot. He's done his time and deserves a shot.

;-)

Tennesseeduke

No he should have to beat JG out and leave no question who is better. They both throw and run well and are similar QBs.

There is no such thing as doing your time and deserving pt just because you rode the bench another year or two. So many of you believe this for some dumb reason.

Who plays better and is better should play. That is it. It doesn't matter if someone sat the bench longer.

Not sure that could be stated better than you did.

Several times he hit receivers with timed passes and no one was within 5 yards of them. Dobbs always seemed to struggle to "see" those throws.

Thanks.
I was definitely just building off the much more detailed explanation you gave.

Ha.
Back to the legitimate part of the conversation though.
We saw the difference in practice ansd the real thing with Peterman versus Dobbs.
I'm a little anxious to see what happens once they're playing under The lights. You have to lean toward QD with the experience but so much difference in starting versus mop up.

And Peterman did good once he moved up country and had time to throw the ball. Something I hope Dormady will have from the beginning.

If he tries to hold the ball against a blitz,while trying to throw deep, he will get blasted.

If he reads the defense and exploits the weakness he will succeed.

He is either QD or JG, both are capable of leading 121 to greatness. Unless he(either or both) wilts in the lights.

I expect them both to ball out when given the opportunity.

I want both to play against GTech. As part of Plan A. They are both so good and have earned PT.

The craziest part to me - His threads, no matter which 'his' we're talking about, have the most replies and stay atop the boards.
Somehow, it's provoking conversation and even seeing posters that usually disagree.. agree.
Maybe not crazy but funny at least.

lowest common denominator. typical these days, & not just here......

QD made it look like a machine functioning as it's supposed to.

agreed. there's a deliberate nature to the offense when he's running it. like the result was "on purpose", not because "it just happened", like some of the big plays we had happen last year....granted i'll take the big plays...but that WAS the offense last year. w/out those, well...let's just say we saw that in the app st, Vandy and USCe games....

agreed. there's a deliberate nature to the offense when he's running it. like the result was "on purpose", not because "it just happened", like some of the big plays we had happen last year....granted i'll take the big plays...but that WAS the offense last year. w/out those, well...let's just say we saw that in the app st, Vandy and USCe games....

You're right.
Between Kelly and Dormady I'm expecting to see an offense that looks more familiar to us. Short intentional passes and hard nosed, 4 yd gain runs.

If that's true, I also expect to eat up a lot more clock on offense allowing our defense some much-needed rest. Hopefully, this could turn out to be just what we needed.

we had to go to a running QB in the past to have a good running game. will history repeat

We had a very poor passing game at that time. A much better, accurate thrower leading to a much more efficient, productive passing game will do every bit as much if not more to help the running game than a running qb imo.

You're right.
Between Kelly and Dormady I'm expecting to see an offense that looks more familiar to us. Short intentional passes and hard nosed, 4 yd gain runs.

If that's true, I also expect to eat up a lot more clock on offense allowing our defense some much-needed rest. Hopefully, this could turn out to be just what we needed.

yep. complimentary football, despite the cliche, has merit. and that could be the biggest factor helping the whole team this year...the biggest thing that could help our defense is more 5+ minute drives.....and not because we stand behind or under center milking the play clock...

move the chains, and wear down the other defense for a change.....then, release the hounds...pun intended.:thumbsup:

and i think we have the offensive line to be able to do that....we'll see.

yep. complimentary football, despite the cliche, has merit. and that could be the biggest factor helping the whole team this year...the biggest thing that could help our defense is more 5+ minute drives.....and not because we stand behind or under center milking the play clock...

move the chains, and wear down the other defense for a change.....then, release the beast..:thumbsup:

and i think we have the offensive line to be able to do that....we'll see.

Fyp

Like a perfect fitting hat.

It's really this simple. Does QD throw that much better and run good enough or does JG run that much better and throw good enough?

IMHO I want the the QB to throw that much better and run good enough and right now that is QD. We have running backs to run the ball. John Kelly is a beast and CFA and Chandler is outstanding plus just because Josh Dobbs was durable does not mean JG will be.

QD should start until he gets BEAT out for the spot. He's done his time and deserves a shot.

;-)

Tennesseeduke

I find these kinds of comments indicating we are good at RB interesting.
We may be ok but not sure how you've determined that CFA and Chandler are outstanding college RB's.
CFA has no significant experience (he did cause a fumble against SC) and hasn't shown much (didn't seem that impressive or explosive in the spring game) and Chandler hasn't had a single college practice yet.
They may both prove to be good but they haven't done anything yet

Last edited:

we agree, unless we have problems running in short yardage plays. they would only use JG if there is no other way. every thing else has failed.

Guarantano can make you miss better and is stronger . he can run through arm tackles. Dromedy is a under rated runner, but my get banged up trying

If you'll remember, it was Guarantano who was banged up a few times - in HS. He sat out a number of games due to injuries - wrist and foot. It's not likely that SEC opponents are going to have a softer touch.

Where did you read he performed better than Dormady at any point during the spring? I know it's a close competition but don't pull statements out of your ass to promote the guy you want to win.

First of all, I didn't read it anywhere buddy.

Second, where in that post does it say who I'd like to see. In fact, I have stated on many occasions that I am indifferent to who wins and whoever it is will be a great qb for us.

players on the team say JG can fly , super fast

Didn't much look like he was flying/super fast in the Spring game when he was "tagged for 2-3 sacks" while trying to escape the pocket. We were told Hurd could fly too when he got here....proved to not be true.

And I couldn't care less whether or not my QB "can fly". I care if he's calm in the pocket, knows where to go with the ball, makes quick decisions and is accurate throwing the ball. Nobody knows yet if JG is any of that.

VN Store

Back