WIth rumors on Chip Kelly

What a stupid argument. I'm sure either school could afford to pay Patterson $10 million if that was what they wanted to do. I'm equally sure neither school will pay him that much. If it were just about who has more money, we'd all be worrying about Harvard stealing our coach.

Reactions: 2 people
What a stupid argument. I'm sure either school could afford to pay Patterson $10 million of that was what they wanted to do. I'm equally sure neither school will pay him that much. If it were just about who has more money, we'd all be worrying about Harvard stealing our coach.

Harvard athletics doesn't make the money UT does.

So Florida releases a statement they are moving on form Chip Kelly going after Scott Frost. I guess Kelly goes to UCLA.

Florida is no longer interested in getting Chip Kelly to fill its coaching vacancy and is prepared to pursue the other candidates interviewed for the job, Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports reports.

Forde adds that with Kelly likely not going to Florida, it increases the likelihood of Kelly taking over at UCLA.

Kelly has been linked to the Florida opening since Jim McElwain and the school parted ways in late October. Kelly met with Florida officials in New Hampshire Sunday, but according to Forde, despite talking throughout the week, there did not appear to be a deal coming between the two. On Tuesday Kelly met with officials from UCLA.

With Kelly possibly out of the picture in Florida, Forde says that increases the chances that the Gators look to bring in UCF coach Scott Frost. In his second year at UCF, Frost has the No. 15 Knights at 10-0 going into the last week of the regular season with a chance to clinch a spot in the American Athletic Conference Championship.

Of course they do. You’re being too emotional about this. TCU has the wealth needed to match any offer UT is willing to make. But sure, if you think UT’s willing to exhaust their resources and spend 100’s of millions, perhaps TCU would bow out. In reality any offer near Saban’s salary TCU can match.
You sound like North Korea.

Reactions: 1 person
Try the last 10 years.

TCU has more money and more talent. Knoxville and Tennessee don’t compete with DFW.

UT isn’t Nebraska in trouble, but it’s a bit of an overvalued stock. There is no competitive advantage over TCU.

This is a moot point since Gary Patterson already signed his extension, but TCU does not have more money.

And while Texas has more talent, TCU is not the top option among in-state recruits. More like the 3rd or 4th. TCU to my knowledge has never finished higher than 21st nationally in recruiting.

Along with the above mentioned, the tradition at Tennessee, the facilities, larger fan base and stadium, chance to play in the SEC... all are competitive advantages over TCU. That being said, Patterson has built that program from the bottom up, has lived in Texas for 20 years now, and basically has zero chance of being fired. It's not surprising that he signed an extension to stay. Unless he wanted to coach his alma mater K. State before he retires, I can't imagine he'll take another job.

You’ve never left Knoxville, have you?

TCU has more than enough to match UT. I’m not talking about cash that the programs generate. Paying for coaching salaries isn’t limited to that.

TCU does NOT have the money Tennessee has. Just stop. They only just recently moved into a power 5 conference, they have far inferior facilities, and are nowhere near as profitable as Tennessee. Tennessee has so much money at our disposal that we are spending another 340 million just to upgrade our stadium. TCU's entire cost to build their stadium 6 years ago wasn't even half of that.

There is zero evidence whatsoever that TCU has a better backing than we do. If they did, their program would spend that money. Clearly they don't have the financial backing that TN does. Just. Stop.

Last edited:
TCU does NOT have the money Tennessee has. Just stop. They only just recently moved into a power 5 conference, they have far inferior facilities, and are nowhere near as profitable as Tennessee. Tennessee has so much money at our disposal that we are spending another 340 million just to upgrade our stadium. TCU's entire cost to build their stadium wasn't even half of that.

There is zero evidence whatsoever that TCU has a better backing than we do. If they did, their program would spend that money. Clearly they don't have the financial backing that TN does. Just. Stop.

FWIW TCU spent $160 million in 2012 and just announced another $100 million renovation. In addition in 2015 they spent $80 million renovating the basketball area.

TCU has a bigger endowment than a much larger UT. They have that because they are a wealthier community and institution. If they want to match UT’s offer, they certainly could.

But it doesn’t matter what Tennessee fans think. Patterson signed an extension. Hopefully UT can get to TCU’s level in the future.

Last edited:
FWIW TCU spent $160 million in 2012 and just announced another $100 million renovation. In addition in 2015 they spent $80 million renovating the basketball area.

TCU has a bigger endowment than a much larger UT. They have that because they are a wealthier community and institution. If they want to match UT’s offer, they certainly could.

But it doesn’t matter what Tennessee fans think. Patterson signed an extension. Hopefully UT can get to TCU’s level in the future.

I have no doubt TCU could match most any offer for Patterson. The difference 1 or 2 million per year is not that drastic all things considered. Though certainly everyone has a perceived value and perhaps 7 million or more for a coach is moreasy than a non football powerhouse like TCU would consider. But again, a moot point with the extension.

But that isn't what you stated and you know it. You stated TCU has more money and more talent, both of which are blatantly fabricated statements. How wealthy each institution actually is rather irrelevant in this discussion since we are talking about the football programs solely. And it's clear the Tennessee football program (and athletic department in general) and it's boosters clearly have demonstrated a larger backing and a much larger budget than TCU. If the wealth of the institution were relevant, schools like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc would have the best football programs, facilities, and highest paid coaches in the nation. You don't think these teams would love to have Chip Kelly at the helm of their program?

As far as talent goes, again, TCU has not finished inside the top 20 in recruiting at any point. So the rich talent grounds in Texas obviously are not much of a factor for TCU. Tennessee is a much easier school to recruit to.

I'm not sure what their basketball program has to do with anything. If you want to compare how much money Tennessee athletic Dept has spent versus TCU, we can totally do that. And I assure you Tennessee's numbers will close to double (if not more) TCU's.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back