You can’t make this up...

true to an extent. when we run the ball on 2nd 18 or 3rd and 12 we are saying we don’t trust the qb. seventeen points ain’t gonna cut it. If we had a qb out there we wouldnt have been running the ball in the fourth quarter.
and Bama would have still won easily

Reactions: feathersax
The loss was more about our defense not being able to stop Bama's offense.
Eight of UT's 12 non-scoring drives were 6 plays or less. UT's D was on the field almost 10 more minutes than Bama's... in spite of Bama moving pretty quick.

The D has real problems. The middle is just getting shredded in the passing game.

But you aren't going to compete in a game like this with 17 points even with a much better D performance.... and 17 points is about the maximum you can expect with a QB as limited as JG.

JG made one good throw to Palmer.

It's amazing how "well" JG plays when we run the ball on every third down, even third and long.

Pruitt wants a game manager? Game manager QBs are only acceptable when the rest of the team is great and better than their competition. That way the "game manager" just does enough to not mess up.

But, Pruitt, when your team sucks badly and so does your staff, you need more than a game manager. You need a damn miracle. Literally a miracle.

It was actually one of JGs better games. He wasn’t why we lost. The bad thing is he can’t be expected to play like that the next game
I gave you a like because I agreed that it was one of JG's better games, but he is also the reason why we aren't getting better. I agree with others that he limits what the offense can do. The defense doesn't play with the same focus and intensity they had before the 2nd half of the Georgia game. I think that's because the defense is sick of playing hard and JG and the offense giving points to the other team. I don't blame the defense, I don't have any confidence in JG either.
The bar is pretty low for a "good" performance by JG.

It's true JG did not turn the ball over, he tried thou. One easy interception was dropped by bama. He also made some bad throws, and late. He does not spark the offense, he just manages. A game manager does not beat bama. I get so sick of hearing country dumpkin say "Well he gives us the best chance to win". No, no he doesn't, he gets you beat. It's about three years beyond time to move on. If you know you are going to probably get beat anyway, try something bold. Saban is bold, Kiffen, the Pirate, and a few others. Pruitt is not. I get he just trying to window dress at the moment, but 48-17 is no better a loss than 75-0, both are still blowouts. Pruitt is coaching conservative and scared.

Eight of UT's 12 non-scoring drives were 6 plays or less. UT's D was on the field almost 10 more minutes than Bama's... in spite of Bama moving pretty quick.

The D has real problems. The middle is just getting shredded in the passing game.

But you aren't going to compete in a game like this with 17 points even with a much better D performance.... and 17 points is about the maximum you can expect with a QB as limited as JG.
Again, I'm not putting this loss solely on the defense; it is a team sport. However, even if we had a superstar at QB, we still lose that game. Bama had no problem scoring early in the game when the D was fresh. The talent gap is deep and wide.

It's true JG did not turn the ball over, he tried thou. One easy interception was dropped by bama. He also made some bad throws, and late. He does not spark the offense, he just manages. A game manager does not beat bama. I get so sick of hearing country dumpkin say "Well he gives us the best chance to win". No, no he doesn't, he gets you beat. It's about three years beyond time to move on. If you know you are going to probably get beat anyway, try something bold. Saban is bold, Kiffen, the Pirate, and a few others. Pruitt is not. I get he just trying to window dress at the moment, but 48-17 is no better a loss than 75-0, both are still blowouts. Pruitt is coaching conservative and scared.
Then who gives us the best chance to win? It's ok...I'll wait.

The loss was more about our defense not being able to stop Bama's offense.
true to an extent. when we run the ball on 2nd 18 or 3rd and 12 we are saying we don’t trust the qb. seventeen points ain’t gonna cut it. If we had a qb out there we wouldnt have been running the ball in the fourth quarter.
and Bama would have still won easily
What does this Have to do with your post or my reply?
It's simple to see if you just follow the thread.

And? He played against the #2 team and a Saban defense. You don't think he played well?
Outside of a disastrous fumble and the fact the RBs couldn't break a tackle from my grandma, the offense played pretty well considering the previous 6 quarters.
The defense never gave them a shot.
Agree. the O did play better. JG did not give anything away for once but Chaney's play calling absolutely sucked.

I simply was showing the loss was about multiple issues. Not that hard to understand.

Reactions: peerless98
Again, I'm not putting this loss solely on the defense; it is a team sport. However, even if we had a superstar at QB, we still lose that game. Bama had no problem scoring early in the game when the D was fresh. The talent gap is deep and wide.
Finally. Thank you.

Reactions: peerless98
Pruitt wants a game manager? Game manager QBs are only acceptable when the rest of the team is great and better than their competition. That way the "game manager" just does enough to not mess up.

But, Pruitt, when your team sucks badly and so does your staff, you need more than a game manager. You need a damn miracle. Literally a miracle.
Yep cornbread is still in that bummer fog. Thinking his defense is going to rule the day and just have a game manager at qb. Pretty dumb in my opinion. Ya got to get there first and you are not doing the team justice by not playing the more talented players at certain positions. This year is shot and blame it on covid or whatever and get the young guys in more.

And? He played against the #2 team and a Saban defense. You don't think he played well?
Outside of a disastrous fumble and the fact the RBs couldn't break a tackle from my grandma, the offense played pretty well considering the previous 6 quarters.
The defense never gave them a shot.
Take away the 2 TD passes and 1-2 more and the passing game was totally ineffective, as usual.
Grey was pretty good minus the fumble.
Add an effective passing game that can complete 7-10 yard passes and the offense would of moved the ball and kept the Bama offense off the field a bit more

See... that's the problem many have. It isn't what he "does" that makes him the wrong guy. It is what he cannot do... and what the coaches cannot trust him to do. How many times did UT challenge the deep middle of the field? They can't against a talented secondary. He struggles to anticipate throws and doesn't have good field awareness. They throw to the outside so the sideline limits what he has to read. Opposing teams know that. He's made some nice sideline throws but opposing D's are willing to live with that risk if it allows them to play down hill against UT's run game. They also know that they can blitz JG with impunity. He won't make them pay. Those blitzes further limit the number of shots available down the sideline.

In short, it isn't just mistakes that cause him to hurt the O. It is his limitations. Within what he's capable of... you're right. That was one of JG's "better games". The problem is that it isn't nearly enough.

The bigger problem is the Pruitt keeps running him out there rather than going with a guy who potentially has a higher ceiling... assuring more wins in the future if not now.

THIS

VN Store

Back