You can’t make this up...

Do y’all think Tim Priest knows football? he picked JG as player of the game yesterday after the game.

I wish Tim would stop with that fake Yankee accent on the Broadcast. LYNE BACKER 35 Yard LYNE. Tim, you are from the South, Broadcasting a Team in the South, to Southerners. In the South, we say Lyon-backer; and so does Tim in everyday language. Kesling does it too. Nothing more fake sounding than a Southern guy trying to sound New England Proper.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Eric Gray is a top 5 SEC Running Back and probably on the same level as Najee Harris. Outside of Kamara, he's probably the best RB we've had in the past decade (better than Hurd, better than Kelly). But ya know ... easier to stop a RB when you have 8-9 in the box and don't have to worry about passes down the middle of the field.

Also, the RB position is probably the most overrated one. WRs are much more important in this day and age. Of course, that's why a guy like Kamara is so valuable in today's game; he's a RB who is also a legit WR.

Gray is not as good as Kamara, but he's a legit dual threat RB, who can catch the ball. I think he's been very underrated, mostly because JG and the passing game has been so awful.
Gray doesn’t come close to Harris and is just slightly above average. If he could break tackles or make people miss then maybe he could be considered one of the better SEC backs.

Here is something you can't make up:
What do Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, Tee Higgins, Amari Rodgers, and Taj Boyd have in common?
They all wanted to play for Tennessee.

Amari Rodgers was never interested. The rest of them except Boyd chose to go to Clemson instead of Tennessee. Boyd was the only one that didn't have a choice.

Amari Rodgers was never interested. The rest of them except Boyd chose to go to Clemson instead of Tennessee. Boyd was the only one that didn't have a choice.
Lawrence wanted to go to UT and verified by VN posters who knew the family. Butch was not interested.

3 TDs in the last 10 quarters and Pruitt makes that dumb a$$ comment. He is becoming Butch Jones part II
He is trying to keep the team together they have more games to play. If he can get us to 7-3 that would be great.

Gray doesn’t come close to Harris and is just slightly above average. If he could break tackles or make people miss then maybe he could be considered one of the better SEC backs.

Sounds like the critiques of Kamara back in 2015 and '16. People underestimated him on these boards because he was being underutilized.

Gray is one of the best RBs in the SEC. Saying he doesn't "break enough tackles" misses the point. He's not a Derrick Henry type of back. And defenses have been focusing in on him because they aren't worried about JG.

And yet, he's still statistically among the top SEC RBs. Not just in rushing yards, but in passing yards.

You put Alabama's passing offense on our team and Gray suddenly looks like an elite RB.

The better critique of our run game is that we lack a big-bruiser type of back who can break tackles and grind out tough yards. But saying Gray is merely average because he doesn't fit that role is essentially trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Gray was never supposed to be that type of back. The bigger problem is that we have 2 RBs who share similar talents (Gray and Chandler). This is why I want to see more of some of the big RBs we recruited in the 2020 class.

As is, I feel like Gray is being grossly underrated, primarily because he's been our only offensive weapon and defenses can hone in on him.

Sounds like the critiques of Kamara back in 2015 and '16. People underestimated him on these boards because he was being underutilized.

Gray is one of the best RBs in the SEC. Saying he doesn't "break enough tackles" misses the point. He's not a Derrick Henry type of back. And defenses have been focusing in on him because they aren't worried about JG.

And yet, he's still statistically among the top SEC RBs. Not just in rushing yards, but in passing yards.

You put Alabama's passing offense on our team and Gray suddenly looks like an elite RB.

The better critique of our run game is that we lack a big-bruiser type of back who can break tackles and grind out tough yards. But saying Gray is merely average because he doesn't fit that role is essentially trying to put a square peg into a round hole. Gray was never supposed to be that type of back. The bigger problem is that we have 2 RBs who share similar talents (Gray and Chandler). This is why I want to see more of some of the big RBs we recruited in the 2020 class.

As is, I feel like Gray is being grossly underrated, primarily because he's been our only offensive weapon and defenses can hone in on him.
No one is going to mistake Gray for Kamara. Hurd and Henry were both better all around backs. He is the best we have starting. In my opinion based on what I have seen of Smalls , Gray is no more than 2nd best to a seldom used freshman.

And? He played against the #2 team and a Saban defense. You don't think he played well?
Outside of a disastrous fumble and the fact the RBs couldn't break a tackle from my grandma, the offense played pretty well considering the previous 6 quarters.
The defense never gave them a shot.
A Saban defense that gave up 40+ points to Ole Miss

A Saban defense that gave up 40+ points to Ole Miss
Ole Miss stretches the field. We do not have an offensive scheme that stretches or widens the field. Some of that is limited by the Qb but w e are still too conservative. Others here on VN are correct. The offensive gameplan is straight out of the 70’s and 80’s.

We scored 17 points..

How much of that is on JG though. When calls were rarely made to throw deep, he threw two TDs. It's kinda odd, but JGs best plays this year have been the deep ball. All of his TD passes except one have been deep balls. The other was a screen to Gray. Offense should be simple going forward. You run 85% of the time and pass deep to Palmer or Hyatt the other 15%

Here is something you can't make up:
What do Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne, Tee Higgins, Amari Rodgers, and Taj Boyd have in common?
They all wanted to play for Tennessee.

Yes, I remember when an article came out that was saying how bright UT's future looked (I think it was late 2016). They noted we had a five star QB (Hunter Johnson) and a five star receiver (Higgins) committed. We were in good shape for Trevor Lawrence and Cade Mays, two more 5 stars.

How quickly things turn around. What the hell happened?o_O Butch?

So how many points should the defense have allowed against Bama? They are averaging like 49 points per game. they scored 41 points against Ga, probably the best defense in the country. Bama is gona score points, the only way to have a chance to beat them is a wide open offense and take chances. Or if you just want to give up play conservative on offense, and there is no way you gona beat them.
I bet 40/50 % of Alabama’s total yardage was yards gained after the first contact. If we knew how to tackle the game would have been closer. We may have held Bama to under 30.

Reactions: Tnphil
It was actually one of JGs better games. He wasn’t why we lost. The bad thing is he can’t be expected to play like that the next game
JG completed 13 passes for 162 yards. 109 of those yards came on 3 completions. That means he completed another 10 passes for a grand total of 53 yards. How is that better? Obviously not turning the ball over is better but not gaining yards because he is throwing the ball at the los or behind the los 90% of the time isn't something to congratulate a player over.

Eric Gray is a top 5 SEC Running Back and probably on the same level as Najee Harris. Outside of Kamara, he's probably the best RB we've had in the past decade (better than Hurd, better than Kelly). But ya know ... easier to stop a RB when you have 8-9 in the box and don't have to worry about passes down the middle of the field.

Also, the RB position is probably the most overrated one. WRs are much more important in this day and age. Of course, that's why a guy like Kamara is so valuable in today's game; he's a RB who is also a legit WR.

Gray is not as good as Kamara, but he's a legit dual threat RB, who can catch the ball. I think he's been very underrated, mostly because JG and the passing game has been so awful.
Harris is a much more complete back. Can shed multiple tackles on every run. Eric gray is solid, but he’s not the type of running back that will break lots of tackles and wear the defense down.

JG completed 13 passes for 162 yards. 109 of those yards came on 3 completions. That means he completed another 10 passes for a grand total of 53 yards. How is that better? Obviously not turning the ball over is better but not gaining yards because he is throwing the ball at the los or behind the los 90% of the time isn't something to congratulate a player over.
better because he didn’t throw a pick 6 or fumble

JG is very inconsistent. and will probably flop within the next 2 games. He did play better than in the previous couple of games. But the Vols have additional problems to correct before they can compete in the SEC. they need better defensive backfield performance and better stronger blocking on offense and tackling on defense. Basics! Coach, teach them basics!

Ole Miss stretches the field. We do not have an offensive scheme that stretches or widens the field. Some of that is limited by the Qb but w e are still too conservative. Others here on VN are correct. The offensive gameplan is straight out of the 70’s and 80’s.
Agreed and who do you think might be responsible for that gameplan?

VN Store

Back