You can’t make this up...

It was actually one of JGs better games. He wasn’t why we lost. The bad thing is he can’t be expected to play like that the next game
He didn't have the calamities of the previous 2 weeks and isn't the reason why we lost. No

Having said that he attempted 24 passes in a game where you prolly have to throw 35 to 40 to have a chance to score enough points. And other than a handful of designed deep shots really wasn't ask to stretch the field. He was managed like a young QB you are trying to hide. Thats about the extent of it.

I know you can't compare exactly because the games played out differently but Bama scored 41 on a really good UGA defense and less the fumble return scored the same on us. They gained about 25 yards more of offense against UT than UGA.

That's not to say UTs defense played well or even well enough but if UGA gets another shot in Atl they re not gonna beat them scoring 24 or 34. It will probably take 40 +. And if they pull that off nobody is gonna be talk about a good defensive performance.

Honestly, I dont think anyone else can beat them in the 30's either.

Reactions: cgrish
If Pruitt starts JG at Arkansas then he should be met at half time and fired on the spot. Tell him to take his millions of dollars and find his own way home.

It has more to do with the fact that opposing defenses know they can focus on stopping the run. Our running stats weren't bad; 3.7 ypc. Alabama averaged 4.3 ypc. I have to think our 3.7 could go somewhere in the 4.5 - 5.0 range if the opposing D actually respected the pass game. In fact, I'll go so far as to say, I think our running game is better than Bama's, but the difference is that Alabama's passing game forced us to focus on that, opening up more room for Najee Harris. Eric Gray and Ty Chandler simply do not enjoy the same benefit.
We have nowhere near a running back the quality of Harris.

Yes he is the reason we lost. We ran the ball 75% of the time. Into a loaded box on almost every play. Why do you think teams absolutely sell out to stop our run? And why do you believe our coaches continue to call run plays when the defense has 18 players within 3 yards of the loc? They are not fearful of our qb. The qb play effects every position. Our defense is constantly out on the field because we go 3 and out so often. You don’t think after a long drive having the offense go 3 and out negativity impacts the defense? So yes...our lack of a passing attack is why we lost. And that’s due to Jg’s limitations as a qb.

Totally agree with you, and all teams do that and some wonder why our running game is not as good as we want. Ark will do the same thing and give us a game if we don't open up our play calls and have a qb that can make the throws. I am afraid we are stuck with jg as long as he is here. And some are saying jg had a good game, 17 points against a bama defense that is giving up 29 points a game.

Again, I'm not putting this loss solely on the defense; it is a team sport. However, even if we had a superstar at QB, we still lose that game. Bama had no problem scoring early in the game when the D was fresh. The talent gap is deep and wide.

So how many points should the defense have allowed against Bama? They are averaging like 49 points per game. they scored 41 points against Ga, probably the best defense in the country. Bama is gona score points, the only way to have a chance to beat them is a wide open offense and take chances. Or if you just want to give up play conservative on offense, and there is no way you gona beat them.

It was actually one of JGs better games. He wasn’t why we lost. The bad thing is he can’t be expected to play like that the next game
Who knows what happens if we threw a few more bombs to Hyatt? The loss is on him in a way that thre coaches can't trust him to open the playbook or Chaney is off his rocker

Take away the 2 TD passes and 1-2 more and the passing game was totally ineffective, as usual.
Grey was pretty good minus the fumble.
Add an effective passing game that can complete 7-10 yard passes and the offense would of moved the ball and kept the Bama offense off the field a bit more
You're misplacing the issue on the rest of the passes. I only.saw like 2 bad passes from JG all game. Couple great plays by defenders/WRs dropping the ball. A tip at the line on an open WR that would have been a big 1st down.
That was my point. He played very well for JG and was absolutely NOT the reason they lost Sat.

The only shot we had was to go full Ole Miss, they had 385 passing it by taking shots down the field. That opened up the running game and they rushed for 270. Alabama doesn't have a great defense at all this year. If you have a QB that they have to respect they end up bleeding yards. Their only other shot at getting beat this year is probably against LSU, who can score like Ole Miss did. Granted, LSU has no defense at all right now and it will probably take 60 for them to win that game.

Instead of doing any of that we had the most conservative game plan I've seen since Johnny Majors was coaching. I expected Pruitt to punt on 3rd down a few times. I have no idea what they thought they were accomplishing by trotting out JG and then hiding him with the game plan, I guess keeping his confidence up for 2021.

JG did well managing the game. No picks, low throw attempts, high completion %, 2 TD ceiling reached. Yeah. He did well. Too bad he manages an offense that cannot generate any meaningful points in games that matter. What we saw from JG was his absolute best, which is still not good enough in this league.

We have nowhere near a running back the quality of Harris.

Eric Gray is a top 5 SEC Running Back and probably on the same level as Najee Harris. Outside of Kamara, he's probably the best RB we've had in the past decade (better than Hurd, better than Kelly). But ya know ... easier to stop a RB when you have 8-9 in the box and don't have to worry about passes down the middle of the field.

Also, the RB position is probably the most overrated one. WRs are much more important in this day and age. Of course, that's why a guy like Kamara is so valuable in today's game; he's a RB who is also a legit WR.

Gray is not as good as Kamara, but he's a legit dual threat RB, who can catch the ball. I think he's been very underrated, mostly because JG and the passing game has been so awful.

Last edited:
JG did well managing the game. No picks, low throw attempts, high completion %, 2 TD ceiling reached. Yeah. He did well. Too bad he manages an offense that cannot generate any meaningful points in games that matter. What we saw from JG was his absolute best, which is still not good enough in this league.
In order to seriously compete with merely a "game manager" at QB you need 2 things...

1. An elite difference maker at RB (a Derek Henry type)

2. An elite defense that takes the ball away and puts points on the board.

It also doesn't hurt to have an electric playmaker on special teams that can house punt and kickoff returns.

We have none of these things, so merely having a game manager at QB isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I never argued that; I simply said JG could have had the game of his life, and we would have still lost.

If JG playing the "game of his life" can't generate 30+ points, then that goes much more against your argument than for it. This is exactly the argument for Maurer and / or Bailey. That essentially, even JG's ceiling is not high enough to keep up with modern offenses. JG played reasonably well by his standards in this game (should've had 24 points, and 0 turnovers) and it still was nowhere near enough.

Reactions: tbh
In order to seriously compete with merely a "game manager" at QB you need 2 things...

1. An elite difference maker at RB (a Derek Henry type)

2. An elite defense that takes the ball away and puts points on the board.

It also doesn't hurt to have an electric playmaker on special teams that can house punt and kickoff returns.

We have none of these things, so merely having a game manager at QB isn't going to cut it.
Oh..I know

Yes he is the reason we lost. We ran the ball 75% of the time. Into a loaded box on almost every play. Why do you think teams absolutely sell out to stop our run? And why do you believe our coaches continue to call run plays when the defense has 18 players within 3 yards of the loc? They are not fearful of our qb. The qb play effects every position. Our defense is constantly out on the field because we go 3 and out so often. You don’t think after a long drive having the offense go 3 and out negativity impacts the defense? So yes...our lack of a passing attack is why we lost. And that’s due to Jg’s limitations as a qb.
True, a friend of mine used to say he knew how to stop any team that had to run, just put 12 in the box

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
So how many points should the defense have allowed against Bama? They are averaging like 49 points per game. they scored 41 points against Ga, probably the best defense in the country. Bama is gona score points, the only way to have a chance to beat them is a wide open offense and take chances. Or if you just want to give up play conservative on offense, and there is no way you gona beat them.
The whole point...you missed it!

VN Store

Back