Zach Stewrt leaving football

Chip on your shoulder much? The post you replied to didn't say that you can't be successful without going to college. You literally can't be a certified teacher without a college degree. As a person with a degree in an industrial manager role, I see this type of inferiority complex/compensation a lot.

Likewise, I see see a lot of people with your credentials who have a superiority complex that I find much more distasteful.

Reactions: 2 people
Likewise, I see see a lot of people with your credentials who have a superiority complex that I find much more distasteful.

This sound familiar?
Zach's mother would have wanted him to continue to pursue his dream of playing football for UT and that she'd be disappointed by his decision to quit football. I believe if she were able to speak to her son right now, she'd tell him to cut this nonsense out and get his butt on campus. I know thats what I'd tell my son if he had this rare opportunity to pursue his dream.

Glad you speak for his mother. Talk about a superiority complex! :lolabove:

Chip on your shoulder much? The post you replied to didn't say that you can't be successful without going to college. You literally can't be a certified teacher without a college degree. As a person with a degree in an industrial manager role, I see this type of inferiority complex/compensation a lot.

Chip? Not at all. Just pointing out the complete idiocy of somebodys post. Also, nobody knows what this young man will do in the future. Saying his decisions were not smart is completely dumb.

You really need to shut it about Zach.You have NO idea what is going on with this young man and his and his family's situation.Save your platitudes for someone else.
Zach,just know that we in vol nation care about you now and always.

Sorry for his loss, but c'mon: How is he going to become a teacher without going to college? No, the future is not bright for him. If you have an opportunity get a college scholarship, you are unwise not to take it. It's been two years--he's not really going to accomplish anything by hanging around Coalfield. Of course it's his decision, but it's not a very smart one.

yes I agree, you are handed many adversities in life and this happened to me as well. You cannot hide in a hole, you need to go on and be strong and also use your god given talents. Now I don't know his particular case or what he plans on doing but he was given the ability to play elite football and given a chance at a top University. Yes it is his decision but I think this is being selfish and wallowing in self-pity.

I had worried that he would be able to play at this level. Taking the time off was needed for sure, but two years away from football is a long, long time. Wish the young guy the best.

I had worried that he would be able to play at this level. Taking the time off was needed for sure, but two years away from football is a long, long time. Wish the young guy the best.

Maybe not being able to play at this level had something to do with his decision as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Maybe not being able to play at the level had something to do with his decision as well

Maybe who really knows. I'm from the area and from what I have heard he is a great young man and comes from a good family. I just always had worried about the level of competition he played against. Very weak 1a football in east tn. I wish him well. His mom was a teacher I believe I'm sure she is proud that he is following in her footsteps.

Good luck to this kid. I'm sure it was a tough decision but he made the correct one because it was his decision. No-one knows what he was going through.

Football is a game of heart. Unfortunately for Zach, his is broken. I'm not usually one to side with the softies, but in this case who cares what you would have done.

I shudder to think that the decisions I made at this kids age were discussed on a message board.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe we should just all wish him the best and stop trying to be his life coach from behind a keyboard

Yes. Life is bigger than football, and everyone is different. I'm disappointed that some people feel like they know what is best for the kid without even knowing him. Maybe at this point it isn't about his mother, maybe he just wants to stay home. What business is that of yours? Or anyone's?

It is absolutely HIS decision, and to say it's a bad one is ignorant. Nobody knows if it is bad or not. At this point, after being out of football for a year, he'd have a lot of catching up to do anyway.

His dad has to work and earn a living like all of us.

He has a younger brother in middle school and you can bet that losing his Mom at such a young age has been a huge burden on this kid.

Maybe dad can't be around as much for the younger brother but his big brother IS going to be there for him.

You do know his Dad is a Coalfield teacher also? He keeps the same schedule as the middle school son.

I wish Zack and his family the best and agree if he's lost the fire to compete then moving in another direction is the best choice. To be a successful D1 football player I can only assume it has to have your full passion and it appears Zach has lost his passion for playing football. No sin in that, we've all had our passions change throughout life.

If he wanted to still play football, with Coalfield being so close to UT it seems like his brother and dad could have been actively involved with Zack and be around the program. Might of been a healthy diversion from their family's grief?

I mentioned in another post that I didn't think that he would be able to overcome the 2 year hiatus. But, I would have liked to see him give it try. In addition, the scholarship would have provided a free education.

Last edited:
Could he go to Community college 2 years student only. Then enroll at a University and still have 5 to play 4 years of football? He's probably not thinking of doing something like this. I was just curious whether your eligibility would start.

Sorry for his loss, but c'mon: How is he going to become a teacher without going to college? No, the future is not bright for him. If you have an opportunity get a college scholarship, you are unwise not to take it. It's been two years--he's not really going to accomplish anything by hanging around Coalfield. Of course it's his decision, but it's not a very smart one.

I have to agree. I can't imagine a father allowing this kind of apathy.

Self absorbed much? This post just shows your complete idiocy. Because we all know that every single successful person in history had a college degree right? Good grief.

He wants to be a teacher, teachers need degrees. Most need advanced degrees. Quit being so quick to criticize. This young man is making a life decision based on emotions. Where the hell is his dad?

I was afraid this was going to be the case. Good luck to this young man and his family..

https://tennessee.n.rivals.com/news/stewart-walking-away-from-football

I wish this young man the best. He's not the first youngster to figure out college football was not for him and he won't be the last. The shame IMO should be shared by VN posters hand wringing over this fellow for as long as they did. The same never realizing various and sundry young Americans Zach's age also lost parents with minor siblings at home, buried their parent and returned to their military service location, some in combat situations, in less than 30 days. No gap year, no navel gazing, no hand wringing, just grown up adult stuff putting one foot in front of the other and getting it done. Think the US Marines or even the US Coast Guard allows you to just hang out for a year brooding over a parental death? IMO Zach either got poor advice or didn't listen to good advice the moment he delayed attending UT never mind playing football and all that demands. Good luck Zach hope you get it together and exceed your wildest dreams.

None of us really know what's in his mind and heart. He's made a decision for HIMSELF and his family not us. While we may be disappointed in his decision it's classless to judge him in my opinion. I wish for the best for him and his family. Who knows what the future may hold. This decision isn't the end of anything necessarily. He can still have a bright future. Its up to him and God.

"I'd like to be a teacher just like my parents," Stewart said. "That's what I want to do. I want to make an impact as a teacher and a coach." "Family is the core strength that gives him hope for a bright future."

Sounds like he set aside the once-held fire for college football, and has picked up the torch for teaching and coaching (and I'm sure his father is aware of what type State-degree is required for a teaching certificate) -- and, he's never laid down / will always carry the torch of family-commitment.

While the University of Tennessee needs good men like this (and while I can wish he'd been around on campus in late 2014, where maybe someone with his character might have better-influenced some of the then-upper classmen who made some ill-mistaken, late-nite/early morning, off-campus decisions, that was not to be), I give my best wishes for this TENNESSEE VOLUNTEER.

None of us really know what's in his mind and heart. He's made a decision for HIMSELF and his family not us. While we may be disappointed in his decision it's classless to judge him in my opinion. I wish for the best for him and his family. Who knows what the future may hold. This decision isn't the end of anything necessarily. He can still have a bright future. Its up to him and God.

Yeah, being classless I guess is born from the experience of raising two young men and knowing without a doubt that they needed guidance and sometimes still do. Just because the decision is his, that doesn't mean it's right. That is asinine. I feel for him, I really do but he isn't following any footsteps now, his mom's, dad's, or anyone's.

Going to college is not for everyone nor is it required (or for that matter critical) to be successful in life. I have many friends and relatives that are way more financially successful than most and they never spent a minute on a college campus. Some people are not financially successful but, are world class fathers, sons, and leaders in their communities. I am sure that there are many people in Coalfield or any other small town America that are happier in life than you.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back