Zach Stewrt leaving football

Leave it to VN to turn the tragedy of a young man losing his mother into an argument about what he would've wanted for him.

Wish him well and move on. I'm sure the door is always open for him at UT, and if he chooses not to walk through it, that choice is his and his alone.

Agreed.

Mods, I put forth the motion that this thread be locked.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a different slant. The large majority of college athletes never make any money playing sports. We talk a lot about the 5% who do make money, but even some of those make a good amount for a few years and then it's over. What's left over is a young man in his early 20's who has to figure out what he's going to do with the rest of his life. Maybe this kid is just skipping the step where he has to eat, drink, and sleep UT football in order to have his tuition paid..........I just re-read my post. It sounds crazy like I'm anti college sports. I'm not. But these kids do give a lot for "the dream." Either way, he would either be talking about playing at UT for the rest of his life, or he's going to be talking about giving up the opportunity to play for UT.

Laremy Tunsil would disagree with that first statement. Tens of thousands, tax free, by simply calling up a coach and all the cannibas you can fit in a gas mask.

That's a lot more than slinging pizzas in market square was paying.

In all seriousness; regret will absolutely be a part of this guy's life but that is what growing into a mature, responsible person is all about. At some point we all sacrifice personal dreams of glory or adventure to provide security for those who depend on us. I hate it for Mr. Stewart but it sounds like events forced him to mature sooner than later and once that is done, there is no going back to being a kid. Football is a game and he is doing something more important in Coalfield.

I also love the class that Jones showed in keeping his spot and showing respect for his decision.

Too bad the f'ing Tennessean writers aren't covering THIS story.

Last edited:
Wish Zach Stewart the best wherever life takes him.

UT coaches handled this the right way, showing compassion and class. He had been out of football for more than a year, so this decision seemed inevitable... and probably the best all around.

Laremy Tunsil would disagree with that first statement. Tens of thousands, tax free, by simply calling up a coach and all the cannibas you can fit in a gas mask.

That's a lot more than slinging pizzas in market square was paying.

In all seriousness; regret will absolutely be a part of this guy's life but that is what growing into a mature, responsible person is all about. At some point we all sacrifice personal dreams of glory or adventure to provide security for those who depend on us. I hate it for Mr. Stewart but it sounds like events forced him to mature sooner than later and once that is done, there is no going back to being a kid. Football is a game and he is doing something more important in Coalfield.

I also love the class that Jones showed in keeping his spot and showing respect for his decision.

Too bad the f'ing Tennessean writers aren't covering THIS story.

:good!:

In Anita's warped little northern California mind, UT doesn't actually care about anyone unless that person is helping to win games. We just shield rapists and exploit and discriminate against women. I love what Stewart said about Butch...and those quotes will never appear in The Tennessean.

:good!:

In Anita's warped little northern California mind, UT doesn't actually care about anyone unless that person is helping to win games. We just shield rapists and exploit and discriminate against women. I love what Stewart said about Butch...and those quotes will never appear in The Tennessean.

What are Jones's options in this case? None: all he can do is be gracious. He can't force the kid to leave little coalfield and go to college. And are you aware of the fact that major football programs covered up crimes and law-breaking as a matter of course for decades--with the help of good 'ole boy friends/cops on the university and city force? And plenty of stuff is still swept under the rug or kept quiet, but it's hard to do that anymore given the heightened awareness of sexual assault? Don't be naive. Jones cares about his guys--but in the end it IS about winning football games.

Reactions: 2 people
What are Jones's options in this case? None: all he can do is be gracious. He can't force the kid to leave little coalfield and go to college. And are you aware of the fact that major football programs covered up crimes and law-breaking as a matter of course for decades--with the help of good 'ole boy friends/cops on the university and city force? And plenty of stuff is still swept under the rug or kept quiet, but it's hard to do that anymore given the heightened awareness of sexual assault? Don't be naive. Jones cares about his guys--but in the end it IS about winning football games.

When making a sweeping and very broad and serious claim such as this, be prepared to back it up with some specifics: Name one such example please. Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

...and you took a facetious post which was obviously meant as nothing more than to point out the bias of the Tennessean and Anita Wadhwani and ran with it in a very literal sense. I think my point was clear and it's not naive to think that Butch Jones is concerned about Zach Stewart's future even though Stewart will never play a down of football for Tennessee.

Zach has made his decision not to play college football, but him being from Tennessee, makes it that much more disappointing to die hard Vol fans........
Good Luck and God speed, Zach Stewart!
Go Vols

I had worried that he would be able to play at this level. Taking the time off was needed for sure, but two years away from football is a long, long time. Wish the young guy the best.

Ya know, I am a little sick of some folks looking down on Zach's ability because he played at a 1A school. You never saw him play in person, did you? Playing at a small school does not make him less of a man.

That is why I hate him hanging it up. I would have loved for him to knock some bigger school guys on their tails. Oh well. Maybe another one will do that job.

VN Store

Back