Zach Stewrt leaving football

Life sometimes kicks you in the teeth while you're making other plans. For all our bickering, Volunteer Nation is with you in our thoughts and prayers, Zach. Regardless of what kind of advice some of us may be tossing at you in this thread, we all wish you the best in your life. Count yourself as a VFL, please, regardless of whether you ever end up a student at Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So someone catch me up to speed here, this kid's mom passed away, and his is dad still alive? I was under the impression he wasn't, so am I wrong?

So someone catch me up to speed here, this kid's mom passed away, and his is dad still alive? I was under the impression he wasn't, so am I wrong?

Dad's still alive and well. Zach just lost his desire to play football and go away to college since his mom's passing. He wants to stay home with his family.

It may be hard for several people on here to believe, but there are actually people out there that put others before themselves. This is a shining example.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe we should just all wish him the best and stop trying to be his life coach from behind a keyboard

The-Rock-clapping-Clapping.gif

It may be hard for several people on here to believe, but there are actually people out there that put others before themselves. This is a shining example.

How about Helping his family with a degree from UT? I think someone was selfish with the advice they gave this young man.

Reactions: 2 people

I don't think that's the case, I think what a lot of people are having a hard time wrapping their mind around is his reasoning.

He says he wants to be a teacher, but you need at least a Bachelors degree to be one. So at some point he's going to have to go to a four year college.

I also get wanting to stay and help with his brother, but and this isn't trying to sound mean, his dad should be able to take care of the younger child on his own. Is the younger brother under the age of 5? If that's the case then I could see how his dad might need a little bit more help.

It just seems like the kid is sacrificing a lot for the wrong reasons. Also not saying that helping family is wrong, just that his logic seems a bit flawed, and I'm really surprised his dad, who is a teacher, is backing his son's decision to forgo a scholarship to a four year college.

How about Helping his family with a degree from UT? I think someone was selfish with the advice they gave this young man.

Maybe his family needs immediate help. Just speculation, but with his dad being a teacher, maybe they would struggle to pay bills on his salary alone. Especially with unexpected funeral expenses.

We don't know the details of the situation. All we know is that Zack made the decision he felt was best. We should all give him support instead of judgement. Period.

Reactions: 4 people
Maybe his family needs immediate help. Just speculation, but with his dad being a teacher, maybe they would struggle to pay bills on his salary alone. Especially with unexpected funeral expenses.

We don't know the details of the situation. All we know is that Zack made the decision he felt was best. We should all give him support instead of judgement. Period.

That last paragraph apparently needs to be repeated one hundred times, so I'll quote it here to do my part.

I think you're operating on incomplete information and spewing feces out of your mouth.

Which of us is right?

Zach, take care buddy. I believe the big man upstairs, if you look to him, will take care of you no matter the career path you choose. Go get em.

Yeah, being classless I guess is born from the experience of raising two young men and knowing without a doubt that they needed guidance and sometimes still do. Just because the decision is his, that doesn't mean it's right. That is asinine. I feel for him, I really do but he isn't following any footsteps now, his mom's, dad's, or anyone's.

Just saying we don't have the right to judge. That statement wasn't directed at you in particular.

(Coach Jones) was very supportive," Stewart said. "He just told me they would still be there for me and anything I need to call him and he would help any way that he could. That includes getting into school after I finish up my two years at community college.

For the couple people in here who didn't read the article.

Reactions: 3 people
Just saying we don't have the right to judge. That statement wasn't directed at you in particular.

This place has the smartest posters on earth.

Not only does everyone here know better than football coaches with decades of experience, but they're also all highly qualified to make decisions for young people going through anything.

And they're all able to do all of this with no information and insight beyond what they see online. I hope to one day be that intelligent.

Reactions: 4 people

This was Zach's decision. You don't know the whole situation and you don't have a clue what his family is going through right now. He can be very successful without obtaining an degree from UT. His heart may not be in football no more but that doesn't mean he's selfish for taking another path in his life or the person who gave him the advice. Losing his mother at an young age will make an impact in this young man's life and we should all support his decision. Whether we agree with it or not.

Self absorbed much? This post just shows your complete idiocy. Because we all know that every single successful person in history had a college degree right? Good grief.

Well its 2016 and if you want to be a teacher then..yes..you have to have a college degree. I think you might even have to have graduate degree to get that awful salary.

I have a different slant. The large majority of college athletes never make any money playing sports. We talk a lot about the 5% who do make money, but even some of those make a good amount for a few years and then it's over. What's left over is a young man in his early 20's who has to figure out what he's going to do with the rest of his life. Maybe this kid is just skipping the step where he has to eat, drink, and sleep UT football in order to have his tuition paid..........I just re-read my post. It sounds crazy like I'm anti college sports. I'm not. But these kids do give a lot for "the dream." Either way, he would either be talking about playing at UT for the rest of his life, or he's going to be talking about giving up the opportunity to play for UT.

Last edited:
I have a different slant. The large majority of college athletes never make any money playing sports. We talk a lot about the 5% who do make money, but even some of those make a good amount for a few years and then it's over. What's left over is a young man in his early 20's who has to figure out what he's going to do with the rest of his life. Maybe this kid is just skipping the step where he has to eat, drink, and sleep UT football in order to have his tuition paid..........I just re-read my post. It sounds crazy like I'm anti college sports. I'm not. But these kids do give a lot for "the dream." Either way, he would either be talking about playing at UT for the rest of his life, or he's going to be talking about giving up the opportunity to play for UT.

I'm sorry, none of that makes any sense whatsoever.

Going to college is not for everyone nor is it required (or for that matter critical) to be successful in life. I have many friends and relatives that are way more financially successful than most and they never spent a minute on a college campus. Some people are not financially successful but, are world class fathers, sons, and leaders in their communities. I am sure that there are many people in Coalfield or any other small town America that are happier in life than you.

Did you read the link?

Best of luck to the guy. Very understandable decision. Losing a parent is an incredibly tough thing to go through as many of us on here know. I really do hope he is successful in whatever he pursues.

Leave it to VN to turn the tragedy of a young man losing his mother into an argument about what he would've wanted for him.

Wish him well and move on. I'm sure the door is always open for him at UT, and if he chooses not to walk through it, that choice is his and his alone.

VN Store

Back