“climate emergency”

Tough spot to be in. Too many humans are problematic but I don't want people to die.

Perhaps he just doesn't want any to be born. Or, like China, wants to limit the number born per family.

Interestingly enough I saw a news article today that stated that the birthrate in the US has fallen to the lowest level in 100 years. Sure covid could have something to do with that, but I think people are going to fix the population problem all by ourselves.

Just to get a perspective of population density, Atlanta is 3,670/sq mi. NYC is 27,755.

At slightly over Atlanta's population density (3727/sq mi, the entire population of the earth could live in:
Texas
California
Montana
New Mexico
Arizona
Nevada
Colorado
Oregon
Wyoming
Michigan
Minnesota
Utah
Idaho
Kansas
Nebraska
South Dakota
Washington
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Missouri
Florida
Wisconsin

This would, fortunately, leave Tennessee for VolNation. Polar bears would have the entire state of Alaska to do what polar bears do. OhVol could play OhVol Pinetree Seed and plant the entire state of Ohio in white pines.
I already live in Atlanta no more room here. Y'all have fun in California.

Reactions: AM64
You jest, but overpopulation is a real problem. People can do as they please, but personally, at this point, I view having more offspring than your replacement value is plain dumb.
Then let's get serious about the climate emergency. Several pages back I advocated pushing 50% of Americans into the ocean.

How do you wanna exterminate humans?

Interestingly enough I saw a news article today that stated that the birthrate in the US has fallen to the lowest level in 100 years. Sure covid could have something to do with that, but I think people are going to fix the population problem all by ourselves.
Not surprising. I've met a lot of humans. We suck. Don't know who would wanna procreate with us.

I figured this out over 50 years ago and we're getting worse. I'm glad I only have another decade or 2.
No need to wait if you're that sour on our future.

Think of the benefit to our climate.

You jest, but overpopulation is a real problem. People can do as they please, but personally, at this point, I view having more offspring than your replacement value is plain dumb.
Agreed. I did my part. No kids

kanistationrollout.gif

Reactions: VolStrom and McDad
TVA has already shut down a majority of the 59 coal-fired units it once operated, cutting the share of its power generated by burning coal from nearly two-thirds of TVA's generation in the 1980s to 17% of TVA's generation in fiscal 2019, Hopson said. TVA continues to operate nine coal-fired units.

They sure aint building new ones.

Some of my concern about that is how much of it reflects loss of industry and efficiency in equipment consuming electric power. Efficiency increases can only go so far and loss of industry is not a good thing overall. Worse we are nation with a fraction of the people that the two worst polluters (China and India) have, and our population increase which is a direct driver of energy use and pollution is significantly less than China and India. We're also on a course with a fascination in electric vehicles that will dramatically increase the need for electric power (we can't offshore that, too). That same fascination requires battery and motor manufacturing and disposal that involves some particularly nasty environmental issues in countries we can't and obviously won't even attempt to control.

At some point in time very soon, utilities will have to address a real demand for more electric power. If we don't return industry to this country, we're going to be what the middle east would be without oil to export, so maybe it's no big deal.

Some of my concern about that is how much of it reflects loss of industry and efficiency in equipment consuming electric power. Efficiency increases can only go so far and loss of industry is not a good thing overall. Worse we are nation with a fraction of the people that the two worst polluters (China and India) have, and our population increase which is a direct driver of energy use and pollution is significantly less than China and India. We're also on a course with a fascination in electric vehicles that will dramatically increase the need for electric power (we can't offshore that, too). That same fascination requires battery and motor manufacturing and disposal that involves some particularly nasty environmental issues in countries we can't and obviously won't even attempt to control.

At some point in time very soon, utilities will have to address a real demand for more electric power. If we don't return industry to this country, we're going to be what the middle east would be without oil to export, so maybe it's no big deal.

My concern as well with electric vehicles. I suppose most charges will hapen during off peak night hours. I did not have a very big territory in Houston so little perspective on power plants there as just a couple of NG plants. It was odd after coming from TN and having hydro, nuke, fossil plants in abundance earlier in my career, but with a bigger area. TVA used ot be my largest customer and hearing about the shutdowns of the Colberts and Bull Runs of the agency I am not sure where they have the NG plants. Back in 2001 or so, there was an NG plant in Decatur AL that I was involved in and it was a "peak load' plant. Very small footprint and I was like "what is this for?"

Then let's get serious about the climate emergency. Several pages back I advocated pushing 50% of Americans into the ocean.

How do you wanna exterminate humans?
I think there was a crumby movie I saw about an aptitude test...

Most all of our science is “observational” in that we observe a phenomena, formulate a reason why, design experiments on how to replicate, and examine and validate the results. I think I remember reading that up until Einstein proposed General Relativity all scientific laws were empirically derived.

I think the issue on the climate science is comprehending the correct boundary conditions and dealing with the very very VERY long time constants involved in the processes in play. It makes experimentation quite difficult.

If you deal with issues like flow induced vibration, then you generally resort to statistical analysis to find patterns buried in what would otherwise be random flow or pressure noise. The easiest way to think of it (which isn't necessarily easy for most people) would be like determining the transfer function of an audio amplifier using white noise as a signal source and then deriving the transfer function as output divided by input. With enough cycles, the amplifier characteristics start becoming clear, but it takes a lot of cycles to get to a smooth display of amplitude, linearity, and high and low frequency roll off. Apply that to systems such as nuclear reactors with very low natural frequencies, and it can take hours to become statistically coherent. Apply the same to earth cycles, and man hasn't been around long enough (even with ice core samples) to really have any statistical correlation.

We may have a handle on the scientific methods, but we don't have nearly the number of climate change cycles (hundreds - thousands) to have a real clue to what's happening. To say what effect man has in the cyclical nature when you don't even know the cyclical nature itself seems ludicrous. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and adapt because there's just no way you can change the flow in a meaningful way.

VN Store

Back