“climate emergency”

It's similar to the apocalyptic warning about sea levels rising. Sea levels have risen and fallen countless times in Earth's history. Sometimes land masses raise and sink, too. If ice melts off land masses and sea levels rise, it will be no different than it has been since the dawn of time.

Additionally, rising sea levels don't have to kill anyone. I asked during one of the climate discussions what's the worst case scenario for sea levels relative to height and time. I think the
consensus was several feet of rise over decades or longer. What would a human do who is noticing the sea getting closer to their home, farm or community over the course of decades? Would they stay put and drown? Or would they build dykes, relocate, raise the building they lived in, or possibly build up the land and create canals to move about? Every single one of those actions are things that have been done by people who are living at, or below, sea level this current day.

A few years ago we went to Tahiti for a vacation, and I got a short education on the transient nature of the Earth. If you look at French Polynesia, the islands are volcanic and surrounded by reefs - idyllic as described by sailors well before the age of steam. We did a tour on Moorea and the guide explained the how the reefs build and the volcanic islands sink, and the age determines whether you have islands like Hawaii without reefs, or reefs without central islands like the Marshall Island atolls west of Hawaii, or a few islands surrounded by protective lagoons and outer reefs. It's fascinating, but not a cycle any human can watch happen. We're just a short blip in the timeline.

Us neither. However we still get the privilege of paying a majority of our taxes into a public education system to educate the little heathen bastards with materials I think are complete tripe. I’m so selfish...
I just wish I was getting a return on my investment. Instead we get luthers and licks...

If you deal with issues like flow induced vibration, then you generally resort to statistical analysis to find patterns buried in what would otherwise be random flow or pressure noise. The easiest way to think of it (which isn't necessarily easy for most people) would be like determining the transfer function of an audio amplifier using white noise as a signal source and then deriving the transfer function as output divided by input. With enough cycles, the amplifier characteristics start becoming clear, but it takes a lot of cycles to get to a smooth display of amplitude, linearity, and high and low frequency roll off. Apply that to systems such as nuclear reactors with very low natural frequencies, and it can take hours to become statistically coherent. Apply the same to earth cycles, and man hasn't been around long enough (even with ice core samples) to really have any statistical correlation.

We may have a handle on the scientific methods, but we don't have nearly the number of climate change cycles (hundreds - thousands) to have a real clue to what's happening. To say what effect man has in the cyclical nature when you don't even know the cyclical nature itself seems ludicrous. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and adapt because there's just no way you can change the flow in a meaningful way.

I am now officially smart..but will struggle to tie my shoes tomorrow.

A few years ago we went to Tahiti for a vacation, and I got a short education on the transient nature of the Earth. If you look at French Polynesia, the islands are volcanic and surrounded by reefs - idyllic as described by sailors well before the age of steam. We did a tour on Moorea and the guide explained the how the reefs build and the volcanic islands sink, and the age determines whether you have islands like Hawaii without reefs, or reefs without central islands like the Marshall Island atolls west of Hawaii, or a few islands surrounded by protective lagoons and outer reefs. It's fascinating, but not a cycle any human can watch happen. We're just a short blip in the timeline.
The scale of time for Earth to do what it does in almost incomprehensible. The Hawaiian Islands are a story of undersea volcanoes and plate tectonics over gargantuan amounts of time. The main island currently sits over a very active area of magma underneath the plate. The area slowly builds an island. Over a longer period of time that island drifts northwest as the plate gradually moves that direction. Over even longer periods of time the islands furthest NW are slowly eroded away back into the sea.

Last edited:
The scale of time for Earth to do what is does in almost incomprehensible. The Hawaiian Islands are a story of undersea volcanoes and plate tectonics over gargantuan amount of time. The main island currently sits over a very active area of magma underneath the plate. The area slowly builds an island. Over a longer period of time that island drifts northwest as the plate gradually moves that direction. Over even longer periods of time the islands furthest NW are slowly eroded away back into the sea.

I've always said my preferred place to be would be a tropical Pacific island - preferably one without most people. The best I've found so far is French Polynesia. True the French did influence things, but that's not really all bad - especially beachwear. Of course, a lot of that has to do with the non-wearer; and fortunately it seems to be a mecca for honeymooners.

Reactions: McDad
Yeah, we maybe both knew a lot more yesterday than today. In my case retirement has it's privileges and rewards in that respect.

You know, maybe, as I am new to the pump world. I assume you are talking cavitation possibly. Incidentally I was at a chicken facility today for 2 hours on what might be going on as the moved their feeder pump 12' elevation up a hill to another pond which feeds to a primary pump, yet lost 35 psi discharge at their spray system about a 1/2 mile away. So they picked up NPSH to the primary pump yet lose discrage pressure at POU. Dealing with guys who know their stuff and one of which is an engineers with decades of experience.

Reactions: AM64

True, but in typical Republican fashion the posters here only care how climate change affects them in their lifetimes. Maybe their kids, too, but thats their view if the relevant time frame.

They also don't particularly care if it's NIMBY. Even if one day it might be.

tenor.gif

You know, maybe, as I am new to the pump world. I assume you are talking cavitation possibly. Incidentally I was at a chicken facility today for 2 hours on what might be going on as the moved their feeder pump 12' elevation up a hill to another pond which feeds to a primary pump, yet lost 35 psi discharge at their spray system about a 1/2 mile away. So they picked up NPSH to the primary pump yet lose discrage pressure at POU. Dealing with guys who know their stuff and one of which is an engineers with decades of experience.

We didn't have to deal a lot with cavitation in pumps because the design guys had it pretty well under control in most cases. Most of the what I dealt with was flow induced vibration exciting resonances in piping systems or in nuclear steam system components. Sometimes the numerical analyses used in the design phase and some funky flow characteristics didn't always work well, and only field testing could sort it out. The worst I saw was two auxiliary feed-water pumps running in a parallel configuration develop a sub-harmonic pressure pulsation in the intake line that was causing the intake piping to shake so violently it was pulling pipe hanger anchors out of concrete. Very impressive.

We also used the same accelerometers that worked for pipe vibration to analyze the flow noise, and could detect cavitation in piping and around valves that way. The loudest I heard was one night at Three Mile Island at the steam generator feedwater inlet when the operators backed the flow down a little and the water was flashing to steam in the nozzle. Fluid dynamics is one of those things where the more you know the more you understand how little you actually do know.

Reactions: Orangeburst
True, but in typical Republican fashion the posters here only care how climate change affects them in their lifetimes. Maybe their kids, too, but thats their view if the relevant time frame.

I don't think it's that simple. In broad terms I do think people who side with republicans tend to be less reactionary than those supporting democrats. I just don't think we agree on the why part which probably has more to do with wanting more proof than simply swallowing the party line on something. McDad pointed out earlier that there's a significant difference in scientific disciplines that are exact and those that aren't. Even though "democrats are the party of science", most of the people I've worked with when science is of the exact type tend to be republican.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
We didn't have to deal a lot with cavitation in pumps because the design guys had it pretty well under control in most cases. Most of the what I dealt with was flow induced vibration exciting resonances in piping systems or in nuclear steam system components. Sometimes the numerical analyses used in the design phase and some funky flow characteristics didn't always work well, and only field testing could sort it out. The worst I saw was two auxiliary feed-water pumps running in a parallel configuration develop a sub-harmonic pressure pulsation in the intake line that was causing the intake piping to shake so violently it was pulling pipe hanger anchors out of concrete. Very impressive.

We also used the same accelerometers that worked for pipe vibration to analyze the flow noise, and could detect cavitation in piping and around valves that way. The loudest I heard was one night at Three Mile Island at the steam generator feedwater inlet when the operators backed the flow down a little and the water was flashing to steam in the nozzle. Fluid dynamics is one of those things where the more you know the more you understand how little you actually do know.

Oh. Back to the harmonic vibration on roadway bridges we discussed years ago. Like a dark science.
Correct me if I am wrong, but you cannot just throttle a discharge valve off a centrifigal pump or you would be on the edge of the pump curve. My prior centrifugal compressor experience tells me that. I think..lol. What day is it?

Reactions: AM64

You don't really believe that.

We can't stop climate change. It's been happening for millennia. We didn't cause it. We may have accelerated it, but history shows us that climate change is natural. The best we could hope to do is slow it down, and truthfully, we may not even be able to do that.

We can't stop climate change. It's been happening for millennia. We didn't cause it. We may have accelerated it, but history shows us that climate change is natural. The best we could hope to do is slow it down, and truthfully, we may not even be able to do that.

Wayback machine...Cannot even remember the commerical product

1620261032493.jpeg

Reactions: volinbham

VN Store

Back