⚽️ Lady Vols Soccer

Chatterton and Eskin should have played a lot more last year--and Nelson and Washington a lot less, in my opinion. We need much
better decision-making from the coaches this year. And it's all the more crucial given that the team has 10 new players--a mix of talented
freshmen and some experienced transfers. I think a really talented staff could turn this roster into a very good team, but that's the big question.
First game is, what, 23 days away!

Reactions: MAD
I thought this was a cool list.
IMG_2995.png

There are also several players who are US citizens, but not born in the US:

Lydia Williams (Australia), Nichelle Prince (Canada) & Havana Solaun (Jamaica) have one American parent.

Esther Okoronkwo (Nigeria) and Catalina Pérez (Colombia) lived as children in the US and should be naturalized by now.

Such a cool video

Follow-up story:

Viral French Soccer Ad Subverts Gender Expectations

Key quote:
A study published last week by the University of Zurich found that the quality of men’s and women’s soccer performances are actually judged similarly when the gender of the players are not identifiable. When study subjects were able to tell the players’ gender, however, men’s soccer performances were rated significantly more highly.
“Our results,” Carlos Gomez, a co-author of the study, said in a press release, “refute the assumption that low demand for women’s professional soccer is based on the quality of the female players’ performances.”

An interesting finding given how often one hears/reads that ratings on women's sports are lower because "the product is not as good".

Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
I just checked the temperature in Sydney and it's a very comfortable 68 degrees F at 2:07 pm. I've seen video of Dutch training sessions and they've been
in shorts and T-shirts, so I don't think it's been cold.

Average Temperatures in Sydney in July

In July, the temperatures in Sydney range from 8 °C (46.4 °F) at night to 17 °C (62.6 °F) during the daytime.

Temps ranging from mid-50s to mid-60s is ideal daytime weather for soccer. Might be a bit cool at night, but still very nice for this sport. In fact, the teams are very fortunate to be playing in the the Southern Hemisphere. The Northern Hemisphere is suffering through record high temps. It is 98 degrees right now in Japan. Europe and many parts of the U.S. are very hot and/or humid. It was supposed to reach a high of about 100 F in Italy today--in the mid-90s there for days.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

19. Khadija 'Bunny' Shaw

IMG_3015.jpeg

Club: Manchester City
Position: Striker
It's easy to forget that Bunny Shaw played every minute of Jamaica's maiden World Cup campaign in France in 2019 because her tournament was so unremarkable. She picked up an injury just before it started, which seemed to severely stifle her performance. However, this time around, the Reggae Girlz's enigmatic striker won't have the same concern.
She's developed her game across professional stints with Bordeaux and Manchester City, and the goal-getter has rounded out her game, taking responsibility not just for scoring but also luring defenders away to create space for her teammates to attack. With Jamaica not favored in their group, the Reggae Girlz will be relying on Shaw to occupy defenders as much as getting on the ball in the box. She's a player to watch as much for her goals as her work off the ball, and if Jamaica are to get out of their group, they'll need Shaw. -- Lawson
Group stage games:
• July 23 vs. France (6 a.m. ET)
• July 29 vs. Panama (8:30 a.m. ET)
• Aug. 2 vs. Brazil (6 a.m. ET)

VN Store

Back